The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 13 week old - refusing to kennel

Default 13 week old - refusing to kennel

My 13 week old CLM is starting to avoid going into his kennel after play times, evening walks, etc. When he senses that his time of roaming outside of the pen is about to come to an end, he will trot off about 30 feet from the kennel and lay down with his chin on the ground (pouting). When you walk up to him, he will roll over and want you to scratch his belly. If I don't have him on a lead at the moment, I've been just holding onto his collar and walking him to the kennel as I repeat the command. I've told my wife and son to never rub his belly or give him any positive reinforcement when he does this (not sure if my wife is following orders or not . Is there anything else I should be doing, or is this just a phase of testing his boundaries that will pass eventually?

Use the ear to get him in the kennel. It won't take but a couple of times for him to figure it out. Then he'll gladly kennel up.

Have you made the kennel a good place? Sounds like its not too him... And pulling/pinching a 13 week old's ear won't make it any better, IMO.
    Last edited by Duckquilizer; 03-06-2013 at 07:50 AM.
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

Have you been treat training this pup to familiarize him with basic commands? Why would you ever not have him on a rope or check cord at this stage? Either you are in charge of his behavior, or his moods are. Formal training begins soon. Right now you should be following a puppy program to get him ready.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Quote Originally Posted by jde512 View Post
    My 13 week old CLM is starting to avoid going into his kennel after play times, evening walks, etc. When he senses that his time of roaming outside of the pen is about to come to an end, he will trot off about 30 feet from the kennel and lay down with his chin on the ground (pouting). When you walk up to him, he will roll over and want you to scratch his belly. If I don't have him on a lead at the moment, I've been just holding onto his collar and walking him to the kennel as I repeat the command. I've told my wife and son to never rub his belly or give him any positive reinforcement when he does this (not sure if my wife is following orders or not . Is there anything else I should be doing, or is this just a phase of testing his boundaries that will pass eventually?
    I'd give him 5 minutes to work on his food, placed in his kennel at mealtime. Then pick the bowl up and put it away until next mealtime. Give all meals in the kennel. He'll start looking forward to mealtime and to getting in his kennel. I'd give him a little food treat each time I crate him when it's not mealtime.

I'd put him on a check cord long before I know it's kennel time. Then I'd calmly pick up the end, have a food treat in hand, call him happily to "kennel", get him in, and give him his treat with some praise. You should have the rope on him BEFORE he does his lie on the side trick.

Hang in there...you will get there. Don't expect big change overnight. Sometimes it's like a glacier. (or seems like it) You don't see it moving each day, but if you look back a ways, it does move.
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Have you been treat training this pup to familiarize him with basic commands? Why would you ever not have him on a rope or check cord at this stage? Either you are in charge of his behavior, or his moods are. Formal training begins soon. Right now you should be following a puppy program to get him ready.

Evan
    Excellent.......x2 I am a big Check Cord and treat user. I put a pup on a light check cord with No puessure but gental guidance and the "here" command. Before you know it, they come in every time. The cord is about 12' long and on the pup when ever he is out of his kennel. They drag that cord in the house, in the fenced yard, on the trail, in the field, to the vet's office.....U get the picture. That check cord stays on the pup for about 5 months and until I have them fully collar conditioned to "Here" Just my opinion. Don

Place / Kennel training ( with treats and leash/check cord) will have this fixed in a few days.
    Labrador Retriever, a 20g & grouse...is there a better combination?

Quote Originally Posted by DonBrou View Post
    Use the ear to get him in the kennel. It won't take but a couple of times for him to figure it out. Then he'll gladly kennel up.
    REALLY ??? 13 weeks old.....
    How bout we throw some cookies in the kennel and say "kennel" , rinse , repeat over a few days then start to say "kennel" first and likely he will jump in the kennel , throw him a cookie and don't slamb the door closed on him, pet him up , holding him in the kennel , then close the door quietly.
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

half way between Cat Springs and Raccoon Bend - Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget Bodine View Post
    How bout we throw some cookies in the kennel and say "kennel" , rinse , repeat over a few days then start to say "kennel" first and likely he will jump in the kennel , throw him a cookie and don't slamb the door closed on him, pet him up , holding him in the kennel , then close the door quietly.
    What Bridget said....exactly, except we don't do the loving up bit with the door open, as smart & fast as some of these puppies are, they'd see an escape opportunity pretty quickly if we did and I'm too old and slow to prevent it.

We keep a box of treats on top of the kennel. Our pup will run to the kennel, jump in, sit down and wait for her treat if you say the kennel word now. She just turned 4 months old. She did go through a little stubborn streak at first but quickly learned that she will get a cookie if she will just go in. By the way, we are using small milk bones and I break them into smaller pieces, even just single piece of her normal food will work.
    Last edited by Lady Duck Hunter; 03-06-2013 at 09:04 AM.
    When it stops being fun, I will find something else to do with my time and money.

The Lady

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget Bodine View Post
    X2 toss some of his favorite treats in there and when he goes in to get them say kennel! When he does give some verbal praise! Kennels are good places not punishment!! He's a pup everything is GOOD no ear pinch at that age please!!

Beau