The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

View Poll Results: would you participate in AKC Master tests if there were no master national venue?

Voters
238. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

215 90.34%
  • no

23 9.66%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Akc hunt tests poll

Default Akc hunt tests poll

For participants in AKC Master tests only, please.
    Last edited by paul young; 03-07-2013 at 08:02 AM.
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

I wouldn't see the point... Maybe AKC needs a point system too?
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

I voted yes. I doubt I will run a master national anyway even if I qualify my dogs this year. It is a big expense and a bunch of time away from my family to go to a master national.

Russell
    CH Chisholm Trail's Backdraft Bay MH**
    Chisholm Trail's Crossfire Sophie JH**
    "I say goodbye to my weakness, so long to the regrets"

The MN is costly, time-consuming, (and seems to be a ton of drama). I'm awfully proud of my old guy who went w/ a pro and passed, but I don't know that I'll have that kind of opportunity again. If I can't do it myself, though, it doesn't hold as much appeal anyway.

I like master tests; I'd do them anyway. Someday I'll be able to do qualifyings--but I'll still do hunt tests.
    --Greta Ode
    willing slave to the whims of
    Kerrybrooks Magical Atticus MH
    Coastalight Kiowa Ravenhawk MH

Absolutely!

I made two Master Hunters with my first two dogs, it was a lot of fun and the system of working through Junior, Senior and finally Master led to me building two really great hunting dogs, the last one went on to win a Qual and become QAA. That process of training with friends and running a bunch of hunt test within a days drive was very rewarding, I never saw any reason to take time off work and travel far to run a Master National. I frankly don't get the big Master National hoopla, different strokes for different folks I guess.

John

I hope to be running some Masters this summer. Could care less about the MN. For me it's all about the training and having fun with my dogs however we can. I prefer the Q in FT's, but since my opportunities are limited we will enjoy the HT's for now.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Yes, for some of us the MH title alone still holds a strong value. Having hunt test within 2 or 3 hours driving and only 2 days long is more convenient for our family. When I see a MH title next to a dogs name I believe the dog will pick up ducks and run blinds on ducks it did not see fall.
    HRCH "Kennedy" MH

We have had one dog qualify 3 years in a row and another dog qualify last year. The only one we went to was the first time the first dog qualified. No big deal. All we want is the MH title; that is until the requirements are pushed so far above the standard that the hunt test is no longer what it was originally intended to be. It has always amazed me that eventually humans ruin just about everything that was good when it originally started.

Arleen

For those of us who don't hunt, participating in the hunt tests is a way to have fun with your dog. I always hope to do well, but for me, some of the fun is seeing the different tests that are devised and seeing if my dog and I can accomplish them. It's a challenge!

I have been to two Master Nationals and may very well go again sometime when it comes back to the East or South. But, as Huff said, it is very expensive and, for those of us living in a concrete jungle, requires a good bit of time training away from home in order to be truly competitive. However, it is still a goal to qualify my dog for the MN every year even if I can't afford time or $$ to attend.
    Randall

HRCH Truline's Cleopatra MH (Cleo)

Prime Time Rising Star MH ***(Emmy)
    Wyco's Lena-Linda con Besos SH (Lena)
    HRCH Surry's Smoking Gun SH (Sage) RIP

Licking Run's Blackberry Jam MH (Berry) RIP

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    Absolutely!

I made two Master Hunters with my first two dogs, it was a lot of fun and the system of working through Junior, Senior and finally Master led to me building two really great hunting dogs, the last one went on to win a Qual and become QAA. That process of training with friends and running a bunch of hunt test within a days drive was very rewarding, I never saw any reason to take time off work and travel far to run a Master National. I frankly don't get the big Master National hoopla, different strokes for different folks I guess.

John
    Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    I hope to be running some Masters this summer. Could care less about the MN. For me it's all about the training and having fun with my dogs however we can. I prefer the Q in FT's, but since my opportunities are limited we will enjoy the HT's for now.

Good comments. I think that many old timers would agree.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."