The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

View Poll Results: would you participate in AKC Master tests if there were no master national venue?

Voters
238. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

215 90.34%
  • no

23 9.66%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Akc hunt tests poll

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    Ok, I see your point, a dog that could pass a Master test 90% of the time would be a very good dog, one to be very proud of. As for anyone or even most dogs being able to get an MH title with enough tries, I don't believe that, I think the standards are quite high and the skills required to pass any Master test require a lot of training and a good dog. I still believe that having that MH tacked on to your dogs name means something special.

John
    It certainly is, I was not defaming that. I was just suggesting a way to give people a reason to continue running after titling if they didn't or couldn't run the National. I wouldn't think someone would continue to run if they had to run 100 tests to get 50 passes for 500 points.
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

Quote Originally Posted by dixidawg View Post
    Can't you just say each pass = 1 point? Then you can say I have a X point (or pass) MH?
    But 10 is more than 1!!!

I think it should be 11.

(Just making fun at human nature, not at anyone in particular.)
    --Greta Ode
    willing slave to the whims of
    Kerrybrooks Magical Atticus MH
    Coastalight Kiowa Ravenhawk MH

Quote Originally Posted by Duckquilizer View Post
    It certainly is, I was not defaming that. I was just suggesting a way to give people a reason to continue running after titling if they didn't or couldn't run the National. I wouldn't think someone would continue to run if they had to run 100 tests to get 50 passes for 500 points.
    I've always said that the judges' points should actually count towards placements, like in obedience--more to make judges judge, but also throws a bone to the comepetitive folks that still like the hunt test.

I've come to accept that no one thinks this is a good idea except for me, so.....

anyway. ahem. back to work.
    --Greta Ode
    willing slave to the whims of
    Kerrybrooks Magical Atticus MH
    Coastalight Kiowa Ravenhawk MH

Quote Originally Posted by Huff View Post
    I voted yes. I doubt I will run a master national anyway even if I qualify my dogs this year. It is a big expense and a bunch of time away from my family to go to a master national.

Russell
    Realistically it's only a small minority of folks in the game that can allot their vacation time and money to go to the MN.

Bert
    Bert Rodgers

Would absolutely continue to run the occasional Master test. Agree with John that having the MH title attached to your dog is a worthy goal. I have given very little thought to the Master National but might be interested if it was very nearby and the qualifying for, and participating in, didn't conflict with our primary focus of running Field Trials. Was thinking about just that with my older dog who would have been retired from Trials. We never trained for Hunt Tests but enterered them as a diversion and reward from Trial training. He loved running Hunt Tests.
    Mark

I voted 'Yes" because I am running the AKC Master tests until I earn a MH title on my dog. Then to the MN. IF there was no MN I would have no desire to continue running master tests.

Lonnie Spann
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).

For me...just being at a Hunt Test and seeing old and new friends, catching up on gossip and news and watching dogs run is reason enough to go and run my dogs in local a HT. My yellow girl got her MH title 2 years ago, and I'm looking forward to this weekend, the the first HT in our area this Spring and Mercy will be running. I have no aspirations of running in Master National, I couldn't afford the expenses. I just like watching my dogs run and being around friends for a weekend!
    My Girls...
    Duckback's Lord Have Mercy, MH 8/07
    Duckback Armbrook's Indigo Pearl, SH 10/10

I would not run a dog that has a title, very many times a year , likely only if I was going to be there with an untitled dog. The MN is not my goal , so has no bearing on what I do. If it is in my neighborhood and I qualified to run I would , but I won't go chasing tests to get qualified on a dog that has a title
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

I'm just as likely to run a Master given by non-MN club as one by MN club. I have no real interest in the MN.
    One of the advantages of having a CBR(the same could hold true for Goldens) if I want to take off and run dogs for 7-10 days I would rather run a Specialty and the 2 FTs the weekends before and after.

Tim
    You order a Lab; ask a Golden; but negotiate with a Chesapeake!

20 to 50 % of the dogs entered in a master test have MH titles. 50% or more of the passing dogs are MH titled dogs. A good portion of those are trained and run by professional trainers.