The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

View Poll Results: would you participate in AKC Master tests if there were no master national venue?

Voters
238. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

215 90.34%
  • no

23 9.66%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Akc hunt tests poll

I have an older dog with 26 MH passes and got to the MNHT 3 x with one pass. He is also QAA. I have a 5 year old that has 6 Master passes and is also QAA. The MN has no appeal to me as the field has gotten to be too large. I may run my older 11 year old in HTs as he enjoys it so much and he is still in excellent shape. But now the HT game has me hooked and I will be spending mucch of my effort there.
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

Quote Originally Posted by JTS View Post
    The actual poll question states " would you participate in AKC Master tests if there were no master national venue? It does not state "continue to participate" as does the HRC poll question.......

So those that say NO, then the MH title itself must be unimportant...correct?

just saying regards......

Thanks for catching the typo; all 3 polls were meant to ask essentially the same question.

The results so far are encouraging. I had begun to think that most people were only participating for titles. - Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

I run the weekend tests mainly because I like spending time with my people but more than anything to qualify to run the MN. Here's the deal- Alabama was one of the 3 states that I haven't actually spent time in and I wanted to correct that deficiency. The other thing is that if I had stayed home (Halley was too young to qualify and Lilly was too old and deaf) I wouldn't have gotten to see Frank Prendergast, Angie Becker, Mike and Sandy Berube, Trish Jagoda, Jerry Day, Ed & Jane Sullivan, Bruce Halverson and Lisa Demko, Jace and denise Tremontin Alan and Kathy Luthy, Judy Teskey, Dan and Missy Heard, John and Karen Blackbird, Missy Lemoi (Marley's trainer), Dave and Marty KressBuck Shope, Mary Rose ( I got a great new Mary Rose story- buy me some hootch and I'll spill) Jerry & Judy Drum, Pat DeNardo, Randy Ayers, Debra Zeigler, Jackie Thibodeaux (Ed was MIA), Ronnie Lee, Jack Combs, Fay Norwood, Ray Shanks, Dan Kielty, Jack and Cheri Noble, Becky Malphus , Jeff Chestnut, Sam and Jeannie Ferguson, Allan Dillard, Sallie Sullivan ( I'm still working on getting her to adopt me), Aurelia Carter (Sallies DD), Steve Durrance, Eddie adn Alice Rodriguez, Alice Xander, Lyle and Debbie Steinman, Jimmie and Tracy Hughes, Katie and Tom Quarles, Mike O'Bannon, DuWayne Bickle, Jean Fowler, Drew Neubauer, Don Wildes, Gloria Mundell, Laura Judd, Keith Hartley, Chuck Beckman, Larry and Kathy Kimble, Jill Volsch, Fred and Gloria Nusbickel, Misty and Marissa Mello (Marissa is AMAZING!!!) Paul and Dee Lance, John Weller, Randy Price, Tom Dorrah, Steve Raney, Tracy Davis, Carol Reed, Barry Smith, Bill and Pattie Cox, Janet Peters and Ron Saul, Sean Hager and Renee Adsit (Tammie too!!) Don and Saundra Aker, Ed Wojo......ski, Janet Wood and her boy toy Larry, Randall and John Gerbino, Warren Price, Elaine Goodner, Don and Dora Heffelfinger (absolutely the most entertaining couple EVER), Kathy Folsom, Brian Hartfield and Sue too, Frank Durham and Terry Stevens, Dennis Greer, Melissa Sisson, Tim and Pattie Doane, Carolyn and Joe Reinhart, Kevin and Pam Bunnell, Ida Richards (She brought Miss Emma!!).
    Didn't sse the whiny little guy from Connecticut though- apparently he would rather stay home and snivel.

Had a GREAT time and if the creek don't rise I'll see most of them and a bunch of new folks in Kansas.

It ain't about titles and breeding- folks it's about US and at the end of the day that's all we got.

Cherished memories regards

Bubba
    There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    I run the weekend tests mainly because I like spending time with my people but more than anything to qualify to run the MN. Here's the deal- Alabama was one of the 3 states that I haven't actually spent time in and I wanted to correct that deficiency. The other thing is that if I had stayed home (Halley was too young to qualify and Lilly was too old and deaf) I wouldn't have gotten to see Frank Prendergast, Angie Becker, Mike and Sandy Berube, Trish Jagoda, Jerry Day, Ed & Jane Sullivan, Bruce Halverson and Lisa Demko, Jace and denise Tremontin Alan and Kathy Luthy, Judy Teskey, Dan and Missy Heard, John and Karen Blackbird, Missy Lemoi (Marley's trainer), Dave and Marty KressBuck Shope, Mary Rose ( I got a great new Mary Rose story- buy me some hootch and I'll spill) Jerry & Judy Drum, Pat DeNardo, Randy Ayers, Debra Zeigler, Jackie Thibodeaux (Ed was MIA), Ronnie Lee, Jack Combs, Fay Norwood, Ray Shanks, Dan Kielty, Jack and Cheri Noble, Becky Malphus , Jeff Chestnut, Sam and Jeannie Ferguson, Allan Dillard, Sallie Sullivan ( I'm still working on getting her to adopt me), Aurelia Carter (Sallies DD), Steve Durrance, Eddie adn Alice Rodriguez, Alice Xander, Lyle and Debbie Steinman, Jimmie and Tracy Hughes, Katie and Tom Quarles, Mike O'Bannon, DuWayne Bickle, Jean Fowler, Drew Neubauer, Don Wildes, Gloria Mundell, Laura Judd, Keith Hartley, Chuck Beckman, Larry and Kathy Kimble, Jill Volsch, Fred and Gloria Nusbickel, Misty and Marissa Mello (Marissa is AMAZING!!!) Paul and Dee Lance, John Weller, Randy Price, Tom Dorrah, Steve Raney, Tracy Davis, Carol Reed, Barry Smith, Bill and Pattie Cox, Janet Peters and Ron Saul, Sean Hager and Renee Adsit (Tammie too!!) Don and Saundra Aker, Ed Wojo......ski, Janet Wood and her boy toy Larry, Randall and John Gerbino, Warren Price, Elaine Goodner, Don and Dora Heffelfinger (absolutely the most entertaining couple EVER), Kathy Folsom, Brian Hartfield and Sue too, Frank Durham and Terry Stevens, Dennis Greer, Melissa Sisson, Tim and Pattie Doane, Carolyn and Joe Reinhart, Kevin and Pam Bunnell, Ida Richards (She brought Miss Emma!!).
    Didn't sse the whiny little guy from Connecticut though- apparently he would rather stay home and snivel.

Had a GREAT time and if the creek don't rise I'll see most of them and a bunch of new folks in Kansas.

It ain't about titles and breeding- folks it's about US and at the end of the day that's all we got.

Bubba
    Bubba, forgive me for being an English teacher, but that is great writing. Your list is reminiscent of Fitzgerald's list of guests at Gatsby's party.
    --Greta Ode
    willing slave to the whims of
    Kerrybrooks Magical Atticus MH
    Coastalight Kiowa Ravenhawk MH

Bubba
    Well said...
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Bubba I'm from Connecticut and I enjoyed reading this post except for yours. No one is whining and I find this post and the other inspiring and very interesting and I have no problem with you being in the minority. All that counts as most have said "are you having fun."
    Gentle in what you do. Firm in how you do it.

CH SILVERCREEK MURRAY SAMUEL (MURRAY) WDQ CGC MH *** 2/16/00 - 12/26/12
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE (LARRY son of Murray) WDQ MH ***
    LPK DELAWARE RIVER WHISPERING COVE **(SAVAGE SAM son of FC Chester MH)
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE JAY ** ( Larry's son and Murray's grandson)

We will continue to participate in weekend Master tests whether there is a Master National or not. Been there done that for Master National. Our old male had 35 master passes and we ran him in 3-4 nationals and completed one. These days with almost 700 dogs, it is way too crowded.

Without changing anything, you can already say "this dog has earned XX master passes" if you feel the need to quantify their performance. Saying "xx passes in yy years" might be even more indicative of talent.

I will continue to run in local tests once we earn our MH titles, but I probably won't travel as much.
    Pam
    HR Roughwater Stacked & Packed, "Babe," MH, CD, RN, CGC, WDQ

I think Bubba's point, less the slam on some Connecticut guy, is for the most part the same as most of the posters who answered the poll with Yes. That is, that once we reach a certain level, Master Hunter for example, the main reason we continue to run, either regular weekend hunt test, or the National in Bubba's case, is the fun people we meet and the relationships we develop. That is one of the things I like about weekend field trials and when geographically feasable, the once a year Golden Specialty.

John
    Last edited by John Robinson; 03-08-2013 at 10:00 AM.

Bubba
    The "WHINY LITTLE GUY"-(thanks for the laugher!!!!) Don't think anyone has ever called me little before. You, however, may be "small". I don't need to whine, either. Not with the caliber of dogs i've been blessed with.

I prefer to spend my time in the fall salmon fishing, hunting, and judging dogs so that you guys can do your thing together. -Paul
    Last edited by paul young; 03-08-2013 at 09:48 AM.
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.