RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

would you participate in AKC Master tests if there were no master national venue?

Akc hunt tests poll

16K views 63 replies 43 participants last post by  Decoyin Drake 
#1 · (Edited)
For participants in AKC Master tests only, please.

This post has been deleted
#3 ·
I voted yes. I doubt I will run a master national anyway even if I qualify my dogs this year. It is a big expense and a bunch of time away from my family to go to a master national.

Russell

#4 ·
The MN is costly, time-consuming, (and seems to be a ton of drama). I'm awfully proud of my old guy who went w/ a pro and passed, but I don't know that I'll have that kind of opportunity again. If I can't do it myself, though, it doesn't hold as much appeal anyway.

I like master tests; I'd do them anyway. Someday I'll be able to do qualifyings--but I'll still do hunt tests.

#5 ·
Absolutely!

I made two Master Hunters with my first two dogs, it was a lot of fun and the system of working through Junior, Senior and finally Master led to me building two really great hunting dogs, the last one went on to win a Qual and become QAA. That process of training with friends and running a bunch of hunt test within a days drive was very rewarding, I never saw any reason to take time off work and travel far to run a Master National. I frankly don't get the big Master National hoopla, different strokes for different folks I guess.

John

#10 ·
I hope to be running some Masters this summer. Could care less about the MN. For me it's all about the training and having fun with my dogs however we can. I prefer the Q in FT's, but since my opportunities are limited we will enjoy the HT's for now.

Good comments. I think that many old timers would agree.

#7 ·
Yes, for some of us the MH title alone still holds a strong value. Having hunt test within 2 or 3 hours driving and only 2 days long is more convenient for our family. When I see a MH title next to a dogs name I believe the dog will pick up ducks and run blinds on ducks it did not see fall.

#8 ·
We have had one dog qualify 3 years in a row and another dog qualify last year. The only one we went to was the first time the first dog qualified. No big deal. All we want is the MH title; that is until the requirements are pushed so far above the standard that the hunt test is no longer what it was originally intended to be. It has always amazed me that eventually humans ruin just about everything that was good when it originally started.

Arleen

#9 ·
For those of us who don't hunt, participating in the hunt tests is a way to have fun with your dog. I always hope to do well, but for me, some of the fun is seeing the different tests that are devised and seeing if my dog and I can accomplish them. It's a challenge!

I have been to two Master Nationals and may very well go again sometime when it comes back to the East or South. But, as Huff said, it is very expensive and, for those of us living in a concrete jungle, requires a good bit of time training away from home in order to be truly competitive. However, it is still a goal to qualify my dog for the MN every year even if I can't afford time or $$ to attend.

#11 ·
I honestly would not run another Master test after the MH title if it wasn't for the Master National. To pass a Master test in my areas involves significant exposure and understanding of technical water. These concepts must be tuned up (at least with my dogs) prior to every test. I drive an hour and a half one way to get to a decent tech pond. It is hard on the family, job and my personal obligations. Had to put my dogs on a truck last year to qualify and to run the Master National. It is difficult to maintain technical standards training in cow pastures and round ponds. Not really complaining, simply stating the facts.

#18 ·
The option of "hell no" was left off the poll.

I agree with Mark 100%. We won't run any Master tests during the 2014 qualifying year. Not going to the other side of the US to chase a plate.

#12 ·
I am a non-hunter, and never heard of a hunt test until we started looking for a puppy 4 years ago. We went to our first junior test absolutely terrified, LOL. But the training has build a bond with my dogs we wouldn't have had any other way. In addition, participating in hunt tests has become somewhat of a social thing for me. I've met many new friends through training days, hunt tests, retriever clubs, and even locals who have watched us train and come up to ask questions. I enjoy going to tests, seeing people there that I only see at tests, getting away from home. Watching my dogs learn and improve has been an inspiration. This will be my first season to run at the master level, and it's going to be exciting to see how we do. Master National? I'd never heard of it until last year. It would be an honor to qualify, don't know if we'll ever attend, and right now I consider it icing on the cake. I enjoy the hunt tests just as they are and don't need national recognition to make it worthwhile: the title of MH is enough of an honor for me.

On a side note, my husband has begun hunting again now that we have dogs who can do the job. We're both benefitting :)

#22 ·
But 10 is more than 1!!!

I think it should be 11.

(Just making fun at human nature, not at anyone in particular.)

#17 ·
I thought the whole idea of hunt test was to not be competitive, just demonstrate that your dog was consitant and well trained enough to meet the high standard by test. IMO if you want bragging points or feel the need to be humbled, run field trials. That's what I did when I became bored with hunt test and wanted something more.

John

#19 ·
My rationale was to show consistancy. Like most people say, anyone can get a title with enough trys. Wouldn't it be pretty hard to deny a MH with just say 500 points if each pass was 10 points? Granted you still could just say 50 MH passes, but...

#21 ·
Ok, I see your point, a dog that could pass a Master test 90% of the time would be a very good dog, one to be very proud of. As for anyone or even most dogs being able to get an MH title with enough tries, I don't believe that, I think the standards are quite high and the skills required to pass any Master test require a lot of training and a good dog. I still believe that having that MH tacked on to your dogs name means something special.

John
It certainly is, I was not defaming that. I was just suggesting a way to give people a reason to continue running after titling if they didn't or couldn't run the National. I wouldn't think someone would continue to run if they had to run 100 tests to get 50 passes for 500 points.

#23 ·
It certainly is, I was not defaming that. I was just suggesting a way to give people a reason to continue running after titling if they didn't or couldn't run the National. I wouldn't think someone would continue to run if they had to run 100 tests to get 50 passes for 500 points.
I've always said that the judges' points should actually count towards placements, like in obedience--more to make judges judge, but also throws a bone to the comepetitive folks that still like the hunt test.

I've come to accept that no one thinks this is a good idea except for me, so.....

anyway. ahem. back to work. ;)

#25 ·
Would absolutely continue to run the occasional Master test. Agree with John that having the MH title attached to your dog is a worthy goal. I have given very little thought to the Master National but might be interested if it was very nearby and the qualifying for, and participating in, didn't conflict with our primary focus of running Field Trials. Was thinking about just that with my older dog who would have been retired from Trials. We never trained for Hunt Tests but enterered them as a diversion and reward from Trial training. He loved running Hunt Tests.

#26 ·
I voted 'Yes" because I am running the AKC Master tests until I earn a MH title on my dog. Then to the MN. IF there was no MN I would have no desire to continue running master tests.

Lonnie Spann

#27 ·
For me...just being at a Hunt Test and seeing old and new friends, catching up on gossip and news and watching dogs run is reason enough to go and run my dogs in local a HT. My yellow girl got her MH title 2 years ago, and I'm looking forward to this weekend, the the first HT in our area this Spring and Mercy will be running. I have no aspirations of running in Master National, I couldn't afford the expenses. I just like watching my dogs run and being around friends for a weekend!

#28 ·
I would not run a dog that has a title, very many times a year , likely only if I was going to be there with an untitled dog. The MN is not my goal , so has no bearing on what I do. If it is in my neighborhood and I qualified to run I would , but I won't go chasing tests to get qualified on a dog that has a title

#29 ·
I'm just as likely to run a Master given by non-MN club as one by MN club. I have no real interest in the MN.
One of the advantages of having a CBR(the same could hold true for Goldens) if I want to take off and run dogs for 7-10 days I would rather run a Specialty and the 2 FTs the weekends before and after.

Tim

#31 · (Edited)
I run them when they're in the area, and it supports local clubs, other than that no real incentive to chase them. I prefer other venues. I don't like the test chasing get 6 passes, fail as many as you want, quantity over quality, judge shopping, title chasing, mentality of the Master nationals (yes I'm opinionated about it ;)). The MHN test itself is on paper-rulebook the exact same skill level and same judging as 2 MH tests, why not just run a double master? Sure No special title for passing 3 double masters, but a lot less expense, and I don't have to run around qualifying for it every year ;).

As for points, they would be nice, went on to the AKC and looked up one of the older dogs we lost this year, AKC has 43 MH passes accorded to her, but I would bet that count is off, she ran tests before EE and record keeping wasn't as good back then, shoot EE is missing a lot of info, I'd bet AKC is as well. It would be nice to know what a life time of accomplishment is, just for sentimental value. Of course if we got something nice engraved with the dogs names for 45-50 MH tests, we might've made those extra test.

#33 ·
I replied to this in the point that i would run MH tests to earn the title if there were no MN event. I would not, I repeat NOT, continue running the tests after the title just to run the tests.

#34 ·
I ran the first Master Invitational pre-master National . My dog had to qualify. I don't remember the number required.
After the event was over some trialers also ran the event, shook my hand, told me my dog was the only dog that didn't handle on 27 marks. When I got my ribbon it was the same color as the others who were finalists. I said hello , welcome to AKC hunt tests. I still run them and could care less about Master Nationals. We are having fun! Same thing with field trials, weekend trials are more fun.

#35 ·
I voted YES, your probably going to the test with other dogs so why not run your master dog. I am positive that if you ask your MH they will say they want to run.

This post has been deleted
#38 ·
I have a MH, have no plans to run the MN, but enjoy running Masters with my dog and will continue to do so. Its about the fun of running a trained dog, the challenge of passing Master test, and having fun with all the friends I have met.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.