The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

View Poll Results: would you participate in AKC Master tests if there were no master national venue?

Voters
238. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

215 90.34%
  • no

23 9.66%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Akc hunt tests poll

I honestly would not run another Master test after the MH title if it wasn't for the Master National. To pass a Master test in my areas involves significant exposure and understanding of technical water. These concepts must be tuned up (at least with my dogs) prior to every test. I drive an hour and a half one way to get to a decent tech pond. It is hard on the family, job and my personal obligations. Had to put my dogs on a truck last year to qualify and to run the Master National. It is difficult to maintain technical standards training in cow pastures and round ponds. Not really complaining, simply stating the facts.
    Mark Land

I am a non-hunter, and never heard of a hunt test until we started looking for a puppy 4 years ago. We went to our first junior test absolutely terrified, LOL. But the training has build a bond with my dogs we wouldn't have had any other way. In addition, participating in hunt tests has become somewhat of a social thing for me. I've met many new friends through training days, hunt tests, retriever clubs, and even locals who have watched us train and come up to ask questions. I enjoy going to tests, seeing people there that I only see at tests, getting away from home. Watching my dogs learn and improve has been an inspiration. This will be my first season to run at the master level, and it's going to be exciting to see how we do. Master National? I'd never heard of it until last year. It would be an honor to qualify, don't know if we'll ever attend, and right now I consider it icing on the cake. I enjoy the hunt tests just as they are and don't need national recognition to make it worthwhile: the title of MH is enough of an honor for me.

On a side note, my husband has begun hunting again now that we have dogs who can do the job. We're both benefitting
    Pam
    HR Roughwater Stacked & Packed, "Babe," MH, CD, RN, CGC, WDQ

Absolutely.... have not been to the National yet. May never make it (although eyeing next year to see where it is going to be) but I would still run in Masters.
    God, Family, Country & LSU Football.

Quote Originally Posted by JTS View Post
    Why?... so they can offer a jacket as a reminder of how much money in entry fees one has spent for said jacket?

once you have HRCH title you can always enter the Grand.......so point continuing to run finished is to get a Jacket? That point I can't see at all.
    jts,
    how about this reason to continue hrc.......i am not a breeder or a jacket chaser but, if i had a nice hrch hunting/brood bitch, i might take her to a few tests a year. the good ol' ht crew sees her getting that ribbon at the tailgates everytime she shows up. they are impressed. i breed her to afc texas troubador. then all my ht buds want that pup. they know the bitch, they have witnessed her performance and they read on rtf just how good the stud is. plus i had a little fun to boot.

is that reasonable?
    john mccallie

Quote Originally Posted by JTS View Post
    Why?... so they can offer a jacket as a reminder of how much money in entry fees one has spent for said jacket?

Currently, the point to continue to run Masters is to qualify each year for the Master National if you choose versus once you have HRCH title you can always enter the Grand.......so point continuing to run finished is to get a Jacket? That point I can't see at all.
    I've got pleanty of jackets and can buy more at Wal-mart, that wasn't the idea. I was refering to lifetime points. Otherwise, people just say, my doggie has ## MH passes... Doesn't really matter, but wouldn't it be cool to say you've got a 1,000 point MH knowing what MH standards are?
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

Can't you just say each pass = 1 point? Then you can say I have a X point (or pass) MH?

I thought the whole idea of hunt test was to not be competitive, just demonstrate that your dog was consitant and well trained enough to meet the high standard by test. IMO if you want bragging points or feel the need to be humbled, run field trials. That's what I did when I became bored with hunt test and wanted something more.

John

Quote Originally Posted by fishduck View Post
    I honestly would not run another Master test after the MH title if it wasn't for the Master National. To pass a Master test in my areas involves significant exposure and understanding of technical water. These concepts must be tuned up (at least with my dogs) prior to every test. I drive an hour and a half one way to get to a decent tech pond. It is hard on the family, job and my personal obligations. Had to put my dogs on a truck last year to qualify and to run the Master National. It is difficult to maintain technical standards training in cow pastures and round ponds. Not really complaining, simply stating the facts.
    The option of "hell no" was left off the poll.

I agree with Mark 100%. We won't run any Master tests during the 2014 qualifying year. Not going to the other side of the US to chase a plate.
    Richard Gravely

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    I thought the whole idea of hunt test was to not be competitive, just demonstrate that your dog was consitant and well trained enough to meet the high standard by test. IMO if you want bragging points or feel the need to be humbled, run field trials. That's what I did when I became bored with hunt test and wanted something more.

John
    My rationale was to show consistancy. Like most people say, anyone can get a title with enough trys. Wouldn't it be pretty hard to deny a MH with just say 500 points if each pass was 10 points? Granted you still could just say 50 MH passes, but...
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckquilizer View Post
    My rationale was to show consistancy. Like most people say, anyone can get a title with enough trys. Wouldn't it be pretty hard to deny a MH with just say 500 points if each pass was 10 points? Granted you still could just say 50 MH passes, but...
    Ok, I see your point, a dog that could pass a Master test 90% of the time would be a very good dog, one to be very proud of. As for anyone or even most dogs being able to get an MH title with enough tries, I don't believe that, I think the standards are quite high and the skills required to pass any Master test require a lot of training and a good dog. I still believe that having that MH tacked on to your dogs name means something special.

John