RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

16 week BLF does not come here

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  jbrous2 
#1 ·
I have a 16wk old BLF. When she gets outside she likes to go play in the water out in front the house, and thats great, except when its time to go inside the house and she is getting wet and muddy. I know she knows what "here" means, she will also ignore me when her play time is being cut short. She sits looking the other way as if she doesn't here me. I have worked on here with a 12' lead, give command "here" and reel her in. Maybe need a longer rope??? Work on this more often? She is pretty obiedient, with most things. She has "potty" down really good, and always goes to the back door when she needs to go outside. Before she comes inside the house, she will sit and stay until "inside" is said. While I am getting her food out of the pantry she sits about 6' away from the bowl until "eat" is said. We have 2 other small inside dogs, there food is in seperate part of the kitchen, and a mild "no Ellie" and she will turn and walk away from their food. She Sits, stays, and retrieves very well. Sooo I think she understands the "here" command just chooses to ignore?? Everything has came very easy with her, nothing but praise and some love has been givivng. suggestions?? Will be taking her to some training days in a couple weeks, would like to correct this..

#2 · (Edited)
New trainer here, so I'm by no means an expert... But it sounds to me like the dog has figured out it doesn't ALWAYS have to respond to the "here" command. One of the most common training tips is to never give a command that you can't enfore. Your dog seems to have learned that when it's off-lead she has the choice of whether to come to you or not. The dog has to be taught that when the "here" command is given it doesn't have the option to not come. At 16 weeks old she may be ready to be CC'd to the "here" command. Seems like she's a smart dog based on the other comments you've made. She's obviously smart enough to figure out she can make her own choices when she's off-lead. lol

My BLF will be 13 weeks old tomorrow and she is pretty reliable, on and off-lead, at coming to the "here" command. One thing that I believe has helped the most with that is going on walks at least once a day, in an unfamiliar place, with no leash. We walk properties that appear similar to areas that we'd hunt... farms, parks, wildlife areas, etc. When she starts ranging out there a bit, or takes her attention off of me, I'll jump behind a tree and hide... wait a little bit, then give the "here" command. She comes running every time. I think by doing these walks in unfamiliar places the dog begins to understand that it must always be aware of where you're at. And starting these exercises at a young age will, at least I hope, condition the dog to always come when called, even before CC'ing.

#3 ·
never give a command that you can't enforce.
and yes get a longer rope - go to a farm/ranch store and buy a 50' 3/8" or 1/2" rope and a brass clasp tie the rope to it and there is your lead for 15 bucks - put it on when ever she goes out side and reel her in everytime you give the command here they catch on pretty quick then slowly introduce the a collar - put it on but dont turn it on for a few times then reel her in after it is on and if you say here and she looks away give a low stimulus and say here and reel her in or you could go the Evan G. way faster but no sure it is better.

#10 ·
I would get her transition onto the collar and along with a check cord start reeling her in. Did I miss the part about which program your using? "Here" means stop what ever your doing, where your doing it and come to me right now. I only use the command one time and then the pressure starts. With one command, "Here" means come so I can touch you. Second time I need to make the command "Here" I am reeling you in with the collar on continous and the pressure stays on until your coming on your own. The eyes are locked on mine and motion is bringing the pup to me in a straight line. Back on the pressure as soon as you make a change indicating something more important than coming in is at hand. Don

#11 ·
Don, I haven't picked up a collar yet. She will be going to a trainer in 4 more weeks. Never really thought about getting one now, But i will. Do you think it would be beneficial for me to work on that now, with only 4 weeks before she is off to school??

#12 ·
Lets not forget that we are talking about a 16 Week old PUPPY here. Some of us would wish the "love of water" over the "here" command at this stage in the game. Annoying as it may be (and I had one that refused to come "here" as a young pup when water was in the picture) let's put what is happening in perspective to the pups age.

Be careful. You do not want to get into inappropriate collar corrections in or around water. Find another way right now.

It will all come together eventually, you just need to work at it, be patient and remember that the pup is just that....as PUP.

Good Luck.

#13 ·
I agree with Jill but at 16 weeks, and the attitude, she is likley ready to start collar training. The collar is a wonder tool but it's easy to abuse or mis-use. Most important is keeping the pup safe and with that comes compliance to "Here". You might want to consult your trainer at this point and follow his/her direction.... Good luck..........Don

#14 ·
Well said Don. My thoughts exactly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.