The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

View Poll Results: would you participate in NAHRA Senior tests after completing the GMHR Title if there

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

25 73.53%
  • no

9 26.47%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nahra senior test poll

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    ...Re the real gun comment, I see your winking smiley face, so I don't know if you're serious, but I don't get the big deal about real guns. 99 times out of 100 I set my "real gun" down when I'm hunting and I have to handle my dog on a blind. I can guarantee my dog doesn't know the difference or even think about what kind of gun, fake or not, I am carrying when I handle him in a hunt test.
    I ran a lot of HRC tests when they were using those MONSTER Winchester blanks at the line. TOO LOUD! But shooting a gun and shucking primer-only blanks does add something - on marks, I mean. You DO have to think about the gun and it makes the handling a little harder/more realistic. I like that part.

It makes me cringe to see handlers resting the gun barrel on their foot or pointing at judges at some HTs. The stick guns tend to encourage these habits.

I also think that lining your dog up on a mark by pointing the barrel over his head is a marking crutch and would blast my dog's ears out if I did that in real life, as if I could really hit a duck that way.
    I argee that the "swing to the gun" is unrealistic and inappropriate handling on marks. At its extreme where handlers dip the muzzel down and push the dog, it's ridiculous. I never did it, but did practice regular heeling "push - pull" drills more when I ran HRC.

I used to think a combination of HRC and NAHRA could improve both programs, but neither group was interested in any change...
    Last edited by Keith Stroyan; 03-08-2013 at 08:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Stroyan View Post
    I ran a lot of HRC tests when they were using those MONSTER Winchester blanks at the line. TOO LOUD! But shooting a gun and shucking primer-only blanks does add something - on marks, I mean. You DO have to think about the gun and it makes the handling a little harder/more realistic. I like that part.

It makes me cringe to see handlers resting the gun barrel on their foot or pointing at judges at some HTs. The stick guns tend to encourage these habits.

I argee that the "swing to the gun" is unrealistic and inappropriate handling on marks. At its extreme where handlers dip the muzzel down and push the dog, it's ridiculous. I never did it, but did practice regular heeling "push - pull" drills more when I ran HRC.

I used to think a combination of HRC and NAHRA could improve both programs, but neither group was interested in any change...
    Keith, one of the things I always liked about NAHRA when I ran it was the fairly common use of a remote sit, typically with the handler behind a blind and the dog sitting either in front or to the side of the blind. I thought that was a realistic hunting senario, and it removed all that field trial type lining on marks alltogether. I haven't run HRC, so can't comment on that, but I strongly believe that any dog that obtains a NAHRA or AKC Senior/Master title would easily translate into a great hunting dog, regardless of whether the dogs were tested with real guns-fake guns or no guns.

John
    Last edited by John Robinson; 03-08-2013 at 10:02 AM.

I haven't ran any NAHRA but I plan to with my pup. From what I have heard about it, it sounds like they have the most complete tests. I truely enjoy all dog games as much as hunting, sometimes more.

If you try it, it is highly likely that you, your family and your pooch, will thoroughly enjoy it. Have fun!
    "Speed of the captain, speed of the ship."

Travis Lund
    Stony Brook Kennels
    www.stonybrookkennels.net
    Foley, MN

I would continue to run the weekend tests, but would have to find some thing else to do for our anniversary.

I have run both of my dogs past the GHMR level, and hope to do the same with my next dog

Dan
    "If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Tony C View Post
    I would continue to run the weekend tests, but would have to find some thing else to do for our anniversary.
    Well you certainly have the next couple of years covered Tony .... PA this year, AK next year ....... LOL
    www.dakotacreekretrievers.com

Online store - http://store.dakotacreekretrievers.com
    Find us on facebook!

GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
    MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
    Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
    Dakota Creek's Long Shot
    Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc