The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

View Poll Results: would you participate in NAHRA Senior tests after completing the GMHR Title if there

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

25 73.53%
  • no

9 26.47%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nahra senior test poll

Default Nahra senior test poll

For participants in NAHRA Senior tests only, please.

the question should read; would you participate in NAHRA Senior tests with your dog/dogs after completing the GMHR Title if there was no Invitational venue.
    Last edited by paul young; 03-07-2013 at 08:11 AM.
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

I voted yes.... training and participating in the hunt tests during the non-hunting season keeps my dog in in shape both physically and for training. As a side note for this question.. you only need an MHR to compete in the Invitational each year....
    Mike Tome
    Duckdog's Fast Autofocus
    GMHRCH-III WR North Star's Deuce of Diamonds

MHR WR Pondview's Bar None 1994-2006

Duckdogphotography.smugmug.com

Paul,

I vote although have not run NAHRA for a number of years.

The lack of an opportunity to run the Invitational would not stop me from running a dog. I may not run as many since I wouldn't be trying to get X number of passes in Y months.

Tom
    Tom Wall

I said yes but "probably" would better describe my opinion. I think the opportunnity to participate in the Invitational is paramount. HPW
    "Sometimes we just gotta do what is right". Jerry 2006

See ya in the field. HPW

I've run all three flavors of hunt tests, as well as NFRA when it was around. All are fun, but I find NAHRA to be the most enjoyable. I like having the upland portion in every test - it sets NAHRA apart from the other vernues in terms of requiring a well rounded dog all year, not just on special ocassions. I'd run it even without an Invitational. But I love that there is an Invitational and that it doesn't come up with a whole new set of standards; it's usually a bit harder than a weekend test, but not exponentionally so. I think I've failed almost as many as I've passed over the years, but I've always enjoyed the experience and understood exactly why we didn't make it when that was the result. I never walked away feeling hosed.

NAHRA is Fun and They have Upland & Trail, The invitational was a blast, perhaps my favorite venue, if they used a real gun it would be
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    NAHRA is Fun and They have Upland & Trail, The invitational was a blast, perhaps my favorite venue, if they used a real gun it would be
    I agree with you on the fun of NAHRA, I qualified for one Invitational just before I switched to AKC, but didn't go.

Re the real gun comment, I see your winking smiley face, so I don't know if you're serious, but I don't get the big deal about real guns. 99 times out of 100 I set my "real gun" down when I'm hunting and I have to handle my dog on a blind. I can guarantee my dog doesn't know the difference or even think about what kind of gun, fake or not, I am carrying when I handle him in a hunt test. I also think that lining your dog up on a mark by pointing the barrel over his head is a marking crutch and would blast my dog's ears out if I did that in real life, as if I could really hit a duck that way. Sorry, end of rant...

John

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Tome View Post
    I voted yes.... training and participating in the hunt tests during the non-hunting season keeps my dog in in shape both physically and for training.
    Agree 100%

Also, there is still another title that can be achieved for getting to 1,000 points (50 passes).
    "Speed of the captain, speed of the ship."

Travis Lund
    Stony Brook Kennels
    www.stonybrookkennels.net
    Foley, MN

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    I agree with you on the fun of NAHRA, I qualified for one Invitational just before I switched to AKC, but didn't go.

Re the real gun comment, I see your winking smiley face, so I don't know if you're serious... John
    While I was most probably using the smiley and gun comment to be cheeky. I'd still have to disagree about the gun aspect, the gun absolutely adds a level of excitement for the dog, I've watched too many Upper level steady dogs turn into wild monsters, in their first HRC test to agree that the dog doesn't care, about a real gun and shots being fired at the line. There's also more of a teamwork aspect in it when you have to take responsibility for a portion of your pass, or failure because you screw up, your gun handling. Still in reality, I just prefer a gun in my hands, I just don't know what to do when a dog flushes and I don't have a gun, same with standing in a holding blind or sitting on a bucket, it's just a natural muscle memory reaction, something seems to be missing, and I'm just sitting there trying to figure out what to do with my hands, when I don't have one.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post
    For participants in NAHRA Senior tests only, please.

the question should read; would you participate in NAHRA Senior tests with your dog/dogs after completing the GMHR Title if there was no Invitational venue.
    I would. My NAHRA Invitational ribbon means a lot to me, but honestly, it was never a goal. I never even pursued the GMHR. Running tests of any venue was just something fun to do with a dog that really enjoyed them. I wish at times that, with my first dog (now on my second), I hadn't taken things quite so seriously. She was sometimes blamed for what were really my shortcomings as a trainer.

I haven't run NAHRA with my current dog and I haven't even been too serious about finishing his MH, which we'll do this year. I've really enjoyed FTs-even though a 4th is our personal best. I would choose running trials over either the Master National or the NAHRA Invitational, but would enjoy running some Master and NAHRA Senior tests.
    As time marches on, it's more about what I think my dog enjoys and I'd probably choose a great hunting trip for him over any week long test event. The only exception would be qualifying for any National FT event, but that isn't likely to happen.

M
    "You can put pressure on a dog, you canít take it backÖ"

Mitch Patterson '07

MHR Wadin's Katie Lied CD, SH, WCX (11/25/93-1/27/07 Rest Well Kate)
    Brassfire's Brass in Pocket JH, WCX ** (4 Master passes)
    Brassfire's New England Patriot (New Pup!!!)