The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Duck Dynasty killing me

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_C View Post
    I dunno, maybe because it's neither of those things?
    Quote Originally Posted by sportnclays View Post
    M&K it does not show duck hunters in a bad way ! Only duck hunters can make themselves look bad. It beats the hell out watching "double banded crew" or some of the other "Duck Hunting" shows.! For me , probably because of my generation, I can't stand the hard rock background music that is common on most of the hunting shows. I mean what the hell is that all about. No background music is necesary if you have ducks falling and guns going off! But to each his own.
    Quote Originally Posted by RailRoadRetrievers View Post
    Seriously? How is the pioneer of real duck hunting videos shining a bad light on duck hunters? Appears to me that's its just some good o'l boys that know how to market themselves really well and make money at it. Nothing stupid about that.
    I guess I didn't make myself clear. I think the show is a hoot. There was an earlier thread awhile back complaining about how stupid the show is and how it painted duck hunters in a bad light. Obviously my attempt at sarcasm was poor.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Quote Originally Posted by M&K's Retrievers View Post
    I guess I didn't make myself clear. I think the show is a hoot. There was an earlier thread awhile back complaining about how stupid the show is and how it painted duck hunters in a bad light. Obviously my attempt at sarcasm was poor.
    I knew what you meant Mike. I think a smiley thingie would have topped off the sarcasm a bit.

I was one of those guys who originally wrote negative things about the show. The main reason I did was I followed the Phil Robertson VHS tapes from the original Duckmen and I did'n't care for some of the evolution of those over time. I automatically assumed they'd do some of the same on TV and I was very wrong.

I went duck hunting with a customer and the topic of Duck Dynasty came up. My customer said something similar to what I expected before I saw the show. He said these dirty rednecks gave duck hunters a bad name. I asked how many times he'd watched the show and he said zero.

My comments to him were: they never cussed, they never drank alcohol, they never spoke hatefully, and every show ends with a prayer as the family dines together and usually the moral of the story is stated.

I have been blown away by the number of non-hunters that want to talk to me now about duck calling or duck hunting. They've become curious, more accepting, and even intrigued in some cases.

I can guarantee you that RTF is and will be picking up new members who become interested in having a retriever due to interest piqued by this show.

It's all good.

I do think uncle Silas is hilarious, but I'm still a huge fan of the dry witted sense of humor that Jace shows. He didn't fall too far from the Phil Robertson tree.

Trivia: There's a photographer named Seth Casteel, from Decatur, IL who has become pretty famous for underwater photography of dogs. Seth has been a pretty big supporter of the animal shelter programs here in town, and recently did a book signing to benefit. This week's episode with the "pet photographer" featured Seth as a characterized city-slicker who didn't know the country way. It was hilarious and Seth did a great job playing a part. One thing I think is really cool is how they downplay things on this show. I did not see them play up Seth's book or make a big deal of who he is. What a great show. I love it.

Underwater Dogs images

Underwater Dogs Writeup

"Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

We love this show, I started growing a beard, It's looks like Si now, but not as long yet. The wife is not a fan of my beard, but, it is the style now. I will be letting it grow out long, and think it should be required for all duck hunters carrying a man card.

Yoga class, nah. Lions eatin Hyenas, Yep.

Fear the beard...
    HRCH TilHe CallsUsHome ~ Tilly

The dog Si bought is actually Louter Creek Kennels dog UH HRCH MHR Southern Standards Red Creole MH, as you can see he has all the hunt test titles you could ask for. Louter Creek actually trains all the dogs on the show. So Si didn't actually buy him, he used him for the show. And yes, he had a special "Doo" for the show just to be funny. I mean, just look at those Balls on his feet.
    "Owned by Three AWS's"

Luke 6:38
    Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

There are things you just can't fix. Can't fix stupid, can't fix a neutered dog & you can't fix junk!

American Water Spaniel Club, AKC - Parent Club
    http://www.americanwaterspanielclub.org/

Robert "BAYDOG" Goodman

I got it. Then again, this is me.

I bought my wife a camo Happy Happy Happy T shirt, so Ms Brenda is Happy Happy Happy , Now were cookin' with peanut oil -JACK!!!
    (She puts up with alot of crap with me and the dogs)

Jase is da man though, the look on his face when Will was in the office with that shake weight thing was priceless!
    HRC- Our season never ends

"Shoot fast or shoot last"

HR UH Nilsson's on a wing n a prayer SH WCX

Sorry, as sarcastic as I am I'm usually better at picking up on it.

I think the people that don't like the show take it, and maybe themselves, too seriously. It's a fun, funny show. My 25 yo daughter is hooked because of how funny it is and bought me the 1st season on DVD for my birthday last year. When I'm watching TV it's usually just to be entertained and this show does that. Not everything in life needs to have deep meaning or thought provoking content.
    Rick Curtis ~ Currently in Ontario, CA by way of Spokane, WA and Northern CA.

Little Man Caught It On The River SH ~ "Ace"

Handlers Handle, Dogs Dog, Judges Judge

"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart."
    ~Rex Carr

Senior Member RailRoadRetrievers's Avatar

Man dont I feel like a jerk, sorry I missed it...

Got to hear Willie speak today at Wildfire Weekend at Liberty University. Great testimony and message! I have a huge amount of respect for the Robertson Family, and what they are doing. Duck hunters have known them for a long time, but they are getting to share the Gospel with a large and diverse audience through DD! Refreshing change compared to most of TV these days.

Wildlife and Outdoor Photography

http://www.ericrutherford.net

In a society today that sharing the Christian message is frowned upon the DD guys are spreading the word!
    Labrador Retriever, a 20g & grouse...is there a better combination?