Thread: Dummies - questions and looking for input

the DTs were still pretty darn soft
    Thinking I might need to take a few for a test drive
    Jesse

HR SHR JR'S GUNNY DOG "ERMEY"
    SR JR'S MARSH MANGLING MINDY
    JR'S LNR THICKET THRASHING TRIXIE

IMO Neman & Bennett 2nds are a great bumper at good price

Yep..order placed. I went with what I know - Luckdog as I have had some for over 10 years....thats a pretty good track record if you ask me.
    In Avery, I got 2 x Flashers as I really like the look of them. I like the black white being vertical rather than just the dummy being top half white, bottom half black.
    Anyway if I like them I'll order more, If I don't it's only two dummies, so no real loss.
    Labrador Retriever, a 20g & grouse...is there a better combination?

I'm a Lucky Dog man but tried the DT and they are awesome.New Avery's still are not for me.
    FC AFC Slider/Junie

I like the Avery's in warmer weather but they get too hard in the cold weather. Heard a lot about Neumann/Bennetts and Lucky Dog so there are some on order...looking forward to them coming in soon. I also just got a few of the Real Duck ones made with fire hose material to use in the colder weather. They seem pretty good so far, but with the shipping were a little pricey so I hope they last a while!

I am in need of new training dummies too. Was planning on just buying more Lucky Dogs since I have used them successfully for many years. With all of the positive comments about DT, perhaps I will give them a try. I am looking to get about 30 dummies this time. Does anyone know of someone giving discounts on "bulk" orders of DT dummies?

Hopefully, 30 passes the mark of being a bulk quantity.

No discount that I'm aware of, and 30 2x11 will cost you about $150, 3x11 $185 or so. Sounds like you're wanting bumpers for pile work and the Ts. You could always sprinkle DTs in with the cheaper older much-harder-on-the-dog's-mouth bumpers, but for marks 10-12 DT "Soft-Mouth Trainers" is a good investment. They last too. Think I've still got the first one from when a Canadian trainer turned me onto them 10 years ago. Although you have to be vigilant as they have a habit of "disappearing" among your training group, especially around the time a new puppy comes along.

MG

Quote Originally Posted by crackerd View Post
    No discount that I'm aware of, and 30 2x11 will cost you about $150, 3x11 $185 or so. Sounds like you're wanting bumpers for pile work and the Ts. You could always sprinkle DTs in with the cheaper older much-harder-on-the-dog's-mouth bumpers, but for marks 10-12 DT "Soft-Mouth Trainers" is a good investment. They last too. Think I've still got the first one from when a Canadian trainer turned me onto them 10 years ago. Although you have to be vigilant as they have a habit of "disappearing" among your training group, especially around the time a new puppy comes along.

MG
    Mike I think they have them at that pet supply/feed store on 213 in Elkton. Only singles though and a little pricey.
    Bert Rodgers

Bert, our fellow FTer and RTFer and Lablover and DogsAfielder Mr. Didier's got plenty of 'em:
    http://www.dogsafield.com/Soft-Mouth.../#.UTsvajc-3XQ
    http://www.dogsafield.com/Soft-Mouth.../#.UTsvjDc-3XQ

Hope to see that new pup soon over our way.

MG

Have any of you folks ever trained with the guy who says: "My dogs won't pick up XYZ".... This can be Dokken DFT, Canvas, whatever.

I'm embarrassed for folks whose dogs will blink a bumper that's not theirs.

Most of us in training groups are going to encounter a time where their dog is going to run a long distance and see/smell someone else's bumper from someone else's truck for the first time. You want your dog to readily acknowledge that bumper and snatch it up.

In my opinion, regardless of what you prefer, I'd advise you to go ahead and give your dog exposure to several different types of bumpers. You don't want to be one of those guys that shows up at a training day and says "Hey, throw my dogs those XYZ's. He HATES ABC bumpers." Train your dogs to think a bumper's a bumper's a bumper.

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"