The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Satire - "If I Had Known!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gauge123 View Post
    "The list includes biting, not coming when called, not picking up bumpers, not retrieving to hand, avoiding water, being “wild”, being too laid back and house breaking/crate training (or lack of)."

A few months ago I suggested that some of you literary types write a book of the most common problems and how to fix them. I was ridiculed. Here is a list of 7-8 common problems. I'm telling you that if you have the gift of gab and want to sell training material. There is an opportunity.

Now to the point at hand. I think many in this forum make enough money to purchase and care for the dog, but financially are forced to train the dog themselves. Others just want to try it. Personally, I just payed $3000 for training and I am embarrassed by how little I got (that's another story). The point is, I think these people that are asking these same questions are great people. They love their dogs and want to see them become great. Give them (the RTF members) a chance to make mistakes. It's very possible that someone asking how to potty train a dog today, will be one of the greatest trainers 30 years from now, and you can say you helped him/her.
    When I said they don't know what they don't know... That is exactly what I meant. Most everyone who has ever trained a dog has been the same way. Nobody is not giving anyone a chance. Jim asked why all the questions after the problems...

The answer is because most newbies don't know what questions to ask till they have the problems. No problem. It's all part of the learning process.
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    When I said they don't know what they don't know... That is exactly what I meant. Most everyone who has ever trained a dog has been the same way. Nobody is not giving anyone a chance. Jim asked why all the questions after the problems...

The answer is because most newbies don't know what questions to ask till they have the problems. No problem. It's all part of the learning process.
    As a newbie, you are 100% correct. I understood exactly what you meant. Maybe reading the forum for a full year before getting a puppy is a good idea. I read it for about 6 months before getting mine and I still don't know what I don't know...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Farrar View Post
    As a newbie, you are 100% correct. I understood exactly what you meant. Maybe reading the forum for a full year before getting a puppy is a good idea. I read it for about 6 months before getting mine and I still don't know what I don't know...
    Not to mention reading the Lardy articles until you can quote significant portions of them out of a deep sleep, and watching the videos until even your wife thinks it's funny to hear Mike talking about a loopy sit.

But nowhere in there that I recall does it say "If you allow your dog to walk with his head just out in front of you around the house that will turn into a dog struggling to get ten feet in front of you at a hunt test.". What I would give for
    having understood that with my dog, which is my first.

When ALL of us were starting out, we didn't know what we didn't know until the problems came up.

"around the house that will turn into a dog struggling "

Key phrase, IMO this is where most problems start. Maybe a good term is "dogs free will"
    HRC- Our season never ends

"Shoot fast or shoot last"

HR UH Nilsson's on a wing n a prayer SH WCX

they are subconsciously bragging about the pup and their training methodology.....Because they can't do it while conscious regards................
    SEMPER FI . FROM MY COLD , DEAD HANDS .

www.bashakilllabradors.com

Quote Originally Posted by jd6400 View Post
    Earl,a wise man told me if it wer`nt for those people we wouldn`t have a job.That and a quiet truck means poor buisness. Jim
    In the early 1970's I took a leave of absence for two years from my real job to became a Pro dog trainer in guard dogs and obedience. I worked in Chicago and covered the Chicago metro area. Most in the area of home obedience just wanted their dogs to be housebroken and not chew. There were dogs that we had to train that weren't worthy of feeding them dog food,but, to make a living we took them on. Sooo I understand! Couldn't handle it after two years and went back to my real job , also my hobby of training dogs. In the 90s and up sold started and Derby dogs after I retired, much, much more fun, if they didn't work out found homes for them and started over again. I was thinking about turning pro, but, several very prominent pro retriever trainers told me just keep on what your doing, dogs are fine it's the clients that you have to deal with that is the problem!
    Earl Dillow

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Farrar View Post
    Started with dogs in the mid 60's and I still don't know what I don't know...It is a life thing...live it ,enjoy it ,and learn something new each day ...dogs or just life...no one has that crystal ball to tell the future and the problems that may ( WILL ) come your way...We all solve them as they come....some just have a bigger book of past memories.....Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

I think one of the problems is that people buy training dvd's and books and don't realize their just guild lines. They want to follow it to the letter and don't understand that not all dogs are alike and you need to tweak those programs to fit your dog. When you have a problem you need to change things up and experiment to see what works best for your dog. A little common scene goes a long way with dog training.
    Last edited by Scott Parker; 03-08-2013 at 10:00 AM.
    HRCH Dallys Wild Willow SH Born 11-06-97 Left Us 1-30-12 will always be in my thoughts RIP Willow

Quote Originally Posted by Criquetpas View Post
    In the early 1970's I took a leave of absence for two years from my real job to became a Pro dog trainer in guard dogs and obedience. I worked in Chicago and covered the Chicago metro area. Most in the area of home obedience just wanted their dogs to be housebroken and not chew. There were dogs that we had to train that weren't worthy of feeding them dog food,but, to make a living we took them on. Sooo I understand! Couldn't handle it after two years and went back to my real job , also my hobby of training dogs. In the 90s and up sold started and Derby dogs after I retired, much, much more fun, if they didn't work out found homes for them and started over again. I was thinking about turning pro, but, several very prominent pro retriever trainers told me just keep on what your doing, dogs are fine it's the clients that you have to deal with that is the problem!
    Good story Earl,another quote from a wise man said the only differece between teaching school and dog training was you can tell a dog owner the animal just isn`t working out you may want to replace it,but you sure can`t tell a parent that!!!!!

I can relate I spent a year substituting teaching in the area of k-8 with BD's and LD's in the classroom. Ron Ainley a retired teacher used to laugh and ask me how I liked it. Told him now see why you retired to build dog boxes!
    Earl Dillow