The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Hillmann and "here" command

Default Hillmann and "here" command

I just got my copy of Training a Retriever Puppy by Bill Hillmann. I watch up through day 15 which seems like a great approach. I have actually bought and watched all his other DVD's prior to this one so it was right in line with his other DVD's as far as techniques which I love his approach. I am plan on following his methods all the way through my formal training.

The "days" are definitely a little confusing as from my reading on RTF that these are not days but "sessions". No biggie, just take it slow and progress each training session.

One thing that stood out was that Bill does not use the word "here" during his initial training before the sit command is solid. My question is, do you not use the command "here" for everyday activity around the house, playing, etc? So no use of the "here" command at all until the pup has sit down solid? Or do you just not use it during these training sessions?

Thanks for your help. I get my pup next weekend so very excited to start the puppy process all over again...

I am following Hillman also for the first time.The way I interpret it is to make the sit command solid before any here is taught. But having said that, I always use the here command during our freewalks when the puppy is already coming back to checkup with me. Does that make sense to You?
    But we havent used the here command yet in association with sit. He is just 15 weeks and coming along fine.
    Im thinkging that once the sit command has been cc then move to here formally.

Thats what i was thinking of doing. Using "here" command for everyday events but during the training sessions, do not use it until the sit is solid like in the video. Appreciate the response. Out of curiosity, with your 15 week old pup, what "day" are you on?

I think you are on the right track. He doesn't teach "here" until "sit" is ingrained into the dog, because the dog will anticipate "here" from the sit position. You should be able to tug on the lead while commanding sit, and have CC'd to sit prior to teaching "here"

I think Bill covers it in more detail in the first part of the Fundamentals DVD.

I am about to wrap up Single T with my 9 month old pup. It has gone very smoothly using Bill's material...very pleased with how he is coming along! The pup is coming out of T work with even more go than when he went in, but we have been able to address the things that typically pop up in T work
    Wildlife and Outdoor Photography

http://www.ericrutherford.net

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Green View Post
    Thats what i was thinking of doing. Using "here" command for everyday events but during the training sessions, do not use it until the sit is solid like in the video. Appreciate the response. Out of curiosity, with your 15 week old pup, what "day" are you on?

Well I havent really kept track of the days as far as in following the dvd. For example. We had a big snowstorm and we stayed inside for three days and did hold and fetch work. And there is so much snow our training has been limited to the driveway but the sit is now CC and now starting on a more formal here command. We spent a few days with live pigeons but was very reluctant with a dead duck. Go figure. Everything is a new world to these little guys and the key is patience and balance. When in doubt back out and throw a fun bumper.
    I really like Hillmans approach to maintaining a happy balanced puppy. Make it fun and they dont even know its training.

I'm following Hillman and my pups 19 weeks, think I started at 12 or 13 weeks. I'm not sure what day i'm on as I don't have the dvd on me. I just starting hold if that helps. I watch it over and over on my lunch breaks trying to catch any little thing that I missed the first time. I got my pup at 6 weeks and gave him two weeks to get used to our home, then started teaching him sit & come until my dvd came in. So he already had the basic concept down when i started.

I usually work on the dvd three times a week, and on the other days take him on walks with my other labs. During this time I work on sit, come, & heel with all of them. We have to walk a little bit before getting them to the field were I can take them off lead. He was pulling so I started walking heel to teach him not to pull. I use a 50 foot lead while on our walks. When the others get out to far ahead I'll call come and then reel him in, now he comes when I tell him to on our walks. What I don't do is work on it while working on the sit with the hillman dvd. When it was to cold to go out I would work on place and get him used to decoys and blinds in the house.

I don't think it hurts to work on other things on days your not doing Hillman. I don't know if you saw my other post but I started having a problem with him coming when retrieving so just started cc to come last night. I'm going to continue this until he has it down then jump back to where, we were at on the hillman dvd.

I could be wrong, this is only the third dog I've trained, second hunting dog, and first hunt test dog. He is really good at sit, I can throw bumpers and he doesn't move until I give him the command. I love the balance Hillman shows in his dvd, it was hard in the beginning because all mine wanted to do was retrieve and he would throw a fit when it was time to do something else but he quickly learned he has to do what i say so he can do what he wants. I can walk a 75 yard circle around him and he will sit there. I train where kids practice sports on at least one day and so he has lots of distractions and is doing really well.
    "If we all did the things we are capable of doing we would literally astound ourselves." Thomas A Edison

Thanks for all the feedback. It's always nice to hear how others are progressing through their training material and what issues may come up during that time. I'm really looking forward to applying Hillmann's training strategy as it certainly is different from others and what i have done on my previous dogs. Seems like a more enjoyable experience for the dog as well as the trainer!

I always find it impressive when a young pup knows the sit command so well. One more week of waiting feels like forever!!!

My eight week Golden is still working on getting to Day 1. He has learned the "sit" command and we are working on the fun retrieves and walking with a collar and light lead. Bill Hillmann is conducting a seminar for our Presque Isle Retriever club in June and I am looking forward to seeing how far that we have progressed with his training method. We have lots of time ahread of us and are enjoying the joys of a new puppy.

Best skill taught thus far: In and out of the doggie door!
    Bob Samios
    Hillock's Hot on the Trail CGCA, JH, RN, BN
    MACH Hillock's Bonny Broom CDX, RE, MH, XF, MXS, MJS, MXP, MJP, WCX, CCA, VCX, CGCA
    Hillock's Magical Forest Walk UD, RE, MH, MX, MXJ, MXP, MJP. WCX, VCX (2002-2011)

Went through the DVD with my pup. Alot of fun for the pups. He really works on getting the pups to sit while you are walking around the pup and throwing what he calls breaking birds. Hillman says not to use the "here" command until the pup is absolutely solid on his sit and if the sit is not strong you don't use the 2 commands. Hillman tries to balance the pups training. He tries to have you instill desire into the pups. About day 19 from my notes he has the pup holding a bumper while he walks around the pup. Then he calls "here". By this time the pup has gone through quite a bit to get this reliable sit. Good luck to you.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

My pup is sitting around day 9/ 10 he can do everything and is super steady when it comes to retrieves and boy does he love to retrieve. My only issue is that he's fussy during remote sit or he'll bark and try and play. Then go right back to sitting calm super confusing for a first timer.