RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Mom has gone to Heaven

11K views 88 replies 85 participants last post by  lanse brown 
#1 ·
Its with a heavy heart that I post the passing of my Mom at the age of 100 yrs 3 months...She was in a nursing home in Durango Colorado, and the affects of dementia/Alzheimers finally took its toll. She expired quietly and peacfully with myself and a couple of sibling at her bedside...

I got the call that I had always dreaded on Sunday night,that they would be moving her to the hospice. I drove like a bat out of hell Monday night after work the 550 mi from LV>Durango in about 10 hrs, only stopping for breakfast,gas,and the requisite pit stop..also tried one power nap, but was so jacked up on caffeine that I couldn't relax..My brothers in Austin and Burnet teamed up and drove all day/night on Tues..

It was apparent to us that Mom was deteriorating by the hour and even though she could not speak, she knew each of us were there as we each said goodbyes and held her hand one last time...she went quietly Wed early evening..

I have since returned to Vegas since she requested immediate cremation and no funeral, we will however carry out her further wishes to the Nth letter by spreading a small portion of her ashes on my Dad's gravesite at Fort Sam Houston so as she put it "so I can hound you dad for all eternity"..looks like Mom will get last laugh....

I am not looking for a sympathy but am issuing a challenge...for those of you that still have your Mom's give her a call, or go see her and give her a hug....and if she asks why tell her its from a guy you know on the RTF...for those of you who are like me and have lost your Mom, take a minute today to reflect and think about her and think about how you wouldn't be here without her..

My Mom was an automatic lock for entrance in Heaven, she maintained her faith in God to the end, and even though she lost the ability to read her Bible a few years back she would still pray a few times a day, and attend the daily service at the home when she was healthy

I thank my Mom for bringing me into this world and loving me every day of her life..to say that I will miss her is a major understatement

I would also like to publicly thank Stan (roadkill) for the support this week as I went through this ordeal. He made literally hourly texts to make sure I was safe and in the right frame of mind to take on this..Thanks Pal

also had well wishes from KJR and a phone call from Al Wilson asking to see if there was anything they could do..

and last but certainly not least a big thanks to Lanse Brown, the last couple of years he has not missed a Mother's Day, a Birthday or a Christmas in sending Mom a card or a letter...I honestly think Mom thought she had a son named Lanse as we would read his cards and letters to her

See less See more
#80 ·
Sorry for your Loss....Parents are a true gift of Wisdom, unconditional Love and The ultimate bond for families. I am happy that you were able to spend those last precious hours with your Mom...
I believe our parents are always with us...and Yours are together laughing...and having a wonderful time in the LORDS HOME... (I hope they meet mine :)
Prayers and Thoughts for You and Your Family.
Hugs, Karen

#81 ·
Beautiful tribute to your mom. My sympathy to you and your family. I still have my mom who is 90 and I thank God each day that she is with me. Best to you.

#82 ·
I'm so sorry for your loss. What you wrote is a true testament to the fact she made her children a priority and loved you with all her heart. My Mom has been gone for 32 years, but she's always with me in spirit. You'll feel that too.

#86 ·
I am so sorry, it is obvious she loved you as you returned the love in full. It is never easy.

#87 ·
My condolences to you and your family, Bon.

#88 ·
Bon, Sorry for your loss. On the other hand, thank you for making me realize that I dont spend enough time with my parents. I went out today to see them and had a great time. Thanks again.

#89 ·
If any member of the Mallari family were to ever write a tribute To their parent itwould be absolutely spellbinding. A mother arrives in San Fran with 12 children and a Philippine Freedom Fighter husband/father(who returned to the Philippines and not only fought the Japs but saved many British and American soldiers who had been captured and were on a death march he was later commissioned a Colonel in the USA Army) The mother raised 12 children alone and if it were. Dog litter they were all FC /AFCs and there were a few National Champions A Damn Fine Litter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.