RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Mom has gone to Heaven

11K views 88 replies 85 participants last post by  lanse brown 
#1 ·
Its with a heavy heart that I post the passing of my Mom at the age of 100 yrs 3 months...She was in a nursing home in Durango Colorado, and the affects of dementia/Alzheimers finally took its toll. She expired quietly and peacfully with myself and a couple of sibling at her bedside...

I got the call that I had always dreaded on Sunday night,that they would be moving her to the hospice. I drove like a bat out of hell Monday night after work the 550 mi from LV>Durango in about 10 hrs, only stopping for breakfast,gas,and the requisite pit stop..also tried one power nap, but was so jacked up on caffeine that I couldn't relax..My brothers in Austin and Burnet teamed up and drove all day/night on Tues..

It was apparent to us that Mom was deteriorating by the hour and even though she could not speak, she knew each of us were there as we each said goodbyes and held her hand one last time...she went quietly Wed early evening..

I have since returned to Vegas since she requested immediate cremation and no funeral, we will however carry out her further wishes to the Nth letter by spreading a small portion of her ashes on my Dad's gravesite at Fort Sam Houston so as she put it "so I can hound you dad for all eternity"..looks like Mom will get last laugh....

I am not looking for a sympathy but am issuing a challenge...for those of you that still have your Mom's give her a call, or go see her and give her a hug....and if she asks why tell her its from a guy you know on the RTF...for those of you who are like me and have lost your Mom, take a minute today to reflect and think about her and think about how you wouldn't be here without her..

My Mom was an automatic lock for entrance in Heaven, she maintained her faith in God to the end, and even though she lost the ability to read her Bible a few years back she would still pray a few times a day, and attend the daily service at the home when she was healthy

I thank my Mom for bringing me into this world and loving me every day of her life..to say that I will miss her is a major understatement

I would also like to publicly thank Stan (roadkill) for the support this week as I went through this ordeal. He made literally hourly texts to make sure I was safe and in the right frame of mind to take on this..Thanks Pal

also had well wishes from KJR and a phone call from Al Wilson asking to see if there was anything they could do..

and last but certainly not least a big thanks to Lanse Brown, the last couple of years he has not missed a Mother's Day, a Birthday or a Christmas in sending Mom a card or a letter...I honestly think Mom thought she had a son named Lanse as we would read his cards and letters to her

See less See more
#28 ·
just got the news that my nephew Randy and his wife Martha Ann lost her mother today after a lengthy illness...this is a sad sad week for my family...I pray that is all

#30 ·
Mr Mallari

Condolences sent from the Us.. I'm very sure She lived a Full wonderful life, and very proud of her Family..

Again sorry for your loss.

Mike and Diane Baker

#35 ·
Very sorry to hear of your loss.

I lost my mom 17 1/2 years ago and still miss her every day. Dad has been on hospice care since August, but is still giving it a good fight.

I share your sorrow and your rejoicing at having had Godly parents to pave the way.

#37 ·
Bon, Sorry for the loss of your mom......as requested my mom will get a couple of extra hugs this week!

Chris

#38 ·
So Sorry Bon. I will take you up on that Challenge.

#40 ·
I'm so sorry for your loss Bon. My thoughts go out to you and your family.

#41 ·
Bon, my sincere condolances to you and your family on the loss of your mother. I have shared a grief such as yours, I do think of my own mother daily, who also suffered the hardship of Alzheimers/Dementia. Sharing a poem someone sent to me in honor of all of our wonderful mothers.

"If roses grow in heaven, Lord please pick a bunch for me, and place them in my Mother's arms and tell her they're from me.

Tell her I love and miss her, and when she turns to smile, place a kiss upon her cheek and hold her for a while.

Because remembering her is easy, I do it every day. But there's an ache within my heart because I'm missing her today."

With Sympathy,
Earlene

#42 ·
I am very very sorry for your loss. Aday doesn't go by that I don't think of my Mom, Dad and Brother. There losses cause an emptyness so I know how you feel.

#43 ·
I am so sorry for the loss of you Mother. Thoughts and prayers are with you.
Just sent my Mom an email, it said, "I love you every day". Thanks for reminding me to tell her. We don't tell them often enough.

#44 ·
So sorry for your loss, Bon. 100 years is amazing - you were both very lucky. I am very thankful that my mom is 87 and healthy. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

#45 ·
Sorry for your loss. It reminds me of when my Grandmother passed and she was 100+. We went through Post,Texas ,driving back to Plano, after the funeral and they were about to celibrate the towns 100 anniversary. I showed the sign to my Mother and said to her "Mom, Look there. MawMaw was older than this town! The things she must have seen during her life." She smiled,teared up a little and said "Yes,What a life." God Bless.

#49 ·
Bon Very sorry for your loss. Glad your family could get there at the end.
I work casual in a nursing home as a RN. It is great job. I enjoy the older folk. But like you said Bon if any of your family in such a facility or anywhere please visit them. You would be surprised b/c some have no family visits.
Bon Again sorry for your loss!

#50 ·
Bon I'm so sorry for your loss, but I hope you inherited her genes. 100 years is awesome. Our (my husband and I) last remaining parent is my mother. We exchange emails every single day and talk on the phone at least twice a week. Being a couple thousand miles apart is tough, but we remind each other of our love every day. She is 84. I hope you find peace being with your family as often as possible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.