RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Mom has gone to Heaven

11K views 88 replies 85 participants last post by  lanse brown 
#1 ·
Its with a heavy heart that I post the passing of my Mom at the age of 100 yrs 3 months...She was in a nursing home in Durango Colorado, and the affects of dementia/Alzheimers finally took its toll. She expired quietly and peacfully with myself and a couple of sibling at her bedside...

I got the call that I had always dreaded on Sunday night,that they would be moving her to the hospice. I drove like a bat out of hell Monday night after work the 550 mi from LV>Durango in about 10 hrs, only stopping for breakfast,gas,and the requisite pit stop..also tried one power nap, but was so jacked up on caffeine that I couldn't relax..My brothers in Austin and Burnet teamed up and drove all day/night on Tues..

It was apparent to us that Mom was deteriorating by the hour and even though she could not speak, she knew each of us were there as we each said goodbyes and held her hand one last time...she went quietly Wed early evening..

I have since returned to Vegas since she requested immediate cremation and no funeral, we will however carry out her further wishes to the Nth letter by spreading a small portion of her ashes on my Dad's gravesite at Fort Sam Houston so as she put it "so I can hound you dad for all eternity"..looks like Mom will get last laugh....

I am not looking for a sympathy but am issuing a challenge...for those of you that still have your Mom's give her a call, or go see her and give her a hug....and if she asks why tell her its from a guy you know on the RTF...for those of you who are like me and have lost your Mom, take a minute today to reflect and think about her and think about how you wouldn't be here without her..

My Mom was an automatic lock for entrance in Heaven, she maintained her faith in God to the end, and even though she lost the ability to read her Bible a few years back she would still pray a few times a day, and attend the daily service at the home when she was healthy

I thank my Mom for bringing me into this world and loving me every day of her life..to say that I will miss her is a major understatement

I would also like to publicly thank Stan (roadkill) for the support this week as I went through this ordeal. He made literally hourly texts to make sure I was safe and in the right frame of mind to take on this..Thanks Pal

also had well wishes from KJR and a phone call from Al Wilson asking to see if there was anything they could do..

and last but certainly not least a big thanks to Lanse Brown, the last couple of years he has not missed a Mother's Day, a Birthday or a Christmas in sending Mom a card or a letter...I honestly think Mom thought she had a son named Lanse as we would read his cards and letters to her

See less See more
#55 ·
Bon,

I'm sorry to read that you've lost your mother. It is wonderful that you've had such a long and close relationship with her.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I wish you well.
Dick

#57 ·
I am so sorry for your loss.

#60 ·
Sorry for you loss, but it sounds like she went out on her terms. God bless

#61 ·
God Bless You, Bon.
Your Mom sounded like a remarkable lady and I know she had to be proud of you.
Please know you're in my prayers. I lost my Mom 18 years ago and still miss her.
Take Care,
Becky

#63 ·
Don and I extend to you and your family our sincerest sympathy on the passing of your mother. What a great lady! Keep the memories close, remember her and the good times.

Helen

#64 ·
Bon, So sorry for your loss. You were so blessed to have your Mom for so many years and just hope I can be so blessed. As for calling Mom, talked to her this morning prior to reading your advice. Had to check in about the snow they were getting up north.

#67 ·
Sorry for your loss of your Mother Bon. You and your family will be in our prayers.

#68 ·
Do Not Stand at My Grave and Weep
BY

Mary Elizabeth Frye
Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there, I do not sleep.
I am in a thousand winds that blow,
I am the softly falling snow.
I am the gentle showers of rain,
I am the fields of ripening grain.
I am in the morning hush,
I am in the graceful rush
Of beautiful birds in circling flight,
I am the starshine of the night.
I am in the flowers that bloom,
I am in a quiet room.
I am in the birds that sing,
I am in each lovely thing.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there. I do not die

I have never met you or your mother but reading about her requests brought this to mind.

I am sorry for your loss.

#70 ·
Bon-

My condolences on the loss of your mom. Although she is no longer on earth, you will always carry a part of her with you. continue to do her proud, and she will smile upon you from the heavens... and you will know it.

Take Care of yourself.

#72 ·
Sorry for your loss Bon. Cherish the memories.
Spent a really great day with my Mom & Dad today. Lots of hugging, & reminiscing.
They are in their 80's now and slipping
You gave good advice about spending as much time with them while you can. They gave us everything
It was great that you and some of your siblings could be there as she passed. Im sure it meant a lot to her.
You keep making your Momma proud, Bon
Best wishes to all the Malari's

#74 ·
Bon,

Thank you sir, for reminding me to take a few minutes out of my day to think about my mom and times past. My condolences on your loss, but also my congratulations on having your mom around for 100+ years. You are a very lucky man.

Very sorry to hear of your mom's passing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.