The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Ice Eater

Default Ice Eater

I just recently purchased a used ice eater. I went to plug it in, and it doesnt start spinning unless I "flick" the propeller and then it runs fine. Has anyone else has this issue? THoughts?

I've never been around one but I would try to get some oil in the bearings for the armature. Not a permanent fix but I've gotten many more hours of service out of blower motors in heavy equip. that were doing the same thing. Worth a try.
    Black as mollases, call name Strap

Sire: Fc Afc Land ahoy "PIRATE"

Dam: Ten bears little bit "BUTTON"

Quote Originally Posted by DropinBack View Post
    I just recently purchased a used ice eater. I went to plug it in, and it doesnt start spinning unless I "flick" the propeller and then it runs fine. Has anyone else has this issue? THoughts?
    NO idea. My "ice eaters" work for kibble and love of ice eating!
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Sometimes they need a jump start.

Could have a bad capacitor if it is a PSC motor (permanent-split capacitor). Would be a easy fix if that is the problem. I'm familar with electric motor, but not the ice eater without looking it up. It sound like a capacitor issue to me. The capacitor will be rated with a "Mfd" rating. It has to be 5% +/- of the rating. If it reads out of that range or "0". Then it is bad. If you have a Multimeter, set it to Microfarads (F). Make sure the motor is unplugged, disconnect the wires from the capacitor and connect a lead to each of the capacitor terminals and it should give you a reading in a few seconds. The capacitor would be a round or oval cylinder several inches tall. Or you could have your local HVAC shop or electrician look at it if they dont mind.
    HRCH DRAKE

Quote Originally Posted by TDB87 View Post
    Could have a bad capacitor if it is a PSC motor (permanent-split capacitor). Would be a easy fix if that is the problem. I'm familar with electric motor, but not the ice eater without looking it up. It sound like a capacitor issue to me. The capacitor will be rated with a "Mfd" rating. It has to be 5% +/- of the rating. If it reads out of that range or "0". Then it is bad. If you have a Multimeter, set it to Microfarads (F). Make sure the motor is unplugged, disconnect the wires from the capacitor and connect a lead to each of the capacitor terminals and it should give you a reading in a few seconds. The capacitor would be a round or oval cylinder several inches tall. Or you could have your local HVAC shop or electrician look at it if they dont mind.
    Are you talking about an ice eater or a Delorien time machine car?
    HRCH Dallys Wild Willow SH Born 11-06-97 Left Us 1-30-12 will always be in my thoughts RIP Willow

Quote Originally Posted by TDB87 View Post
    This is also my vote.

If motor turn free, and single phase motor this has got to be it.
    Capacitor are usually cheap. Do you have a electrical motor shop in town? They would have them and change in a few minutes

Thanks. Ill look into it

I had a fan I got at Walmart that worked the same way once.