The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Tuition Assistance Programs Cut

Hometown: Rural Ames, IA. College: Maryville, MO

Default Tuition Assistance Programs Cut

http://militaryadvantage.military.co...on-assistance/

This is an interesting topic that I thought would generate good discussion.

Should we be taking away our investment from educating our nations leaders?

Is the TA program a benefit that is worth keeping?

Where should our investments (I say investment because I believe education is an investment into America's future) be going if not to there?

Is there anyone on this forum that benefited from tuition assistance due to serving our country? What are your thoughts? I am in college right now.. a few hotheaded people spoke strongly about the government taking this away. Others talked about duty, service, and honor above benefits.

See here:
    To all my battle buddies: I'm just as pissed off as all of you are, if not more about TA being cut. However, we all need to remember to upkeep the Army Values, especially selfless service in this point in time. Sure, we all joined for different reasons including school and financial benefits, but we shouldn't forget that we all joined to protect what we love. Just as our brothers and sisters who have served before us, we are going to experience hard times. At one point, all we wanted as soldiers was a pack of cigarettes or dry feet. I'm still extremely upset, but we all need to look at this with a little perspective and not lose our minds before taking action.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4505595725113&set=o.268330443233035 &type=1&theater
    Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons--your quiver and bow--and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

my son just got the word yesterday .my question is will that void the contract they signed when they joined.

Quote Originally Posted by youngblood View Post
    http://militaryadvantage.military.co...on-assistance/

This is an interesting topic that I thought would generate good discussion.

Should we be taking away our investment from educating our nations leaders?

Is the TA program a benefit that is worth keeping?

Where should our investments (I say investment because I believe education is an investment into America's future) be going if not to there?

Is there anyone on this forum that benefited from tuition assistance due to serving our country? What are your thoughts? I am in college right now.. a few hotheaded people spoke strongly about the government taking this away. Others talked about duty, service, and honor above benefits.

See here:
    To all my battle buddies: I'm just as pissed off as all of you are, if not more about TA being cut. However, we all need to remember to upkeep the Army Values, especially selfless service in this point in time. Sure, we all joined for different reasons including school and financial benefits, but we shouldn't forget that we all joined to protect what we love. Just as our brothers and sisters who have served before us, we are going to experience hard times. At one point, all we wanted as soldiers was a pack of cigarettes or dry feet. I'm still extremely upset, but we all need to look at this with a little perspective and not lose our minds before taking action.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4505595725113&set=o.268330443233035 &type=1&theater
    If these are your VA benefits, this is a load of crap and speaks to the decietful bunch of liars in this administration.

You signed a contract, binding to both parties.
    This will not fly, this is Obama trying to inflict pain to make the Republicans look bad.
    The "useful idiots" lap this up.
    It will not stand and I'll tell you why.

The NEA and the other teachers unions on the state levels will not stand for it.
    They are part of the "useful idiots" that vote en masse' for the secular progressive party.
    This grand stand play is taking money away DA UNION!!!
    Stan b & Elvis

TA (funded by the military branch you are enlisted/commissioned in) and the GI Bill (VA funded) are two different programs. As of right now, GI Bill benefits are still in tact. Over my 22 years of service TA benefits have been adjusted up and down based on a couple of factors (usage in previous years, state of the branches budget etc). TA is not part of a service mbrs contract. TA benefits have topped out at $4500 per person, per year for the past several years.
    Last edited by Duck Blind; 03-09-2013 at 06:12 AM.
    Brian Caudle
    Marriner's Lady Piper of Coratank "Piper" JH

I'd be more concerned about GI Bill funding. As Brian mentioned, the funding always changed for TA depending on a lot of things. I found it difficult to utilize TA given deployment schedules. My understanding is that its easier to use TA now with a variety programs geared to take advantage of it. I've never been happy with the variety of post service "GI Bill" programs provided to service members over the years. Most civilians equate what is provided now with what their WWII dad/granddad got and its a far more austere program now days.
    George Billings
    And Scout
    Aurora CO
    In Memory
    "Tess" Amigold Duckus Takem - Miss her greatly

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Blind View Post
    TA (funded by the military branch you are enlisted/commissioned in) and the GI Bill (VA funded) are two different programs. As of right now, GI Bill benefits are still in tact. Over my 22 years of service TA benefits have been adjusted up and down based on a couple of factors (usage in previous years, state of the branches budget etc). TA is not part of a service mbrs contract. TA benefits have topped out at $4500 per person, per year for the past several years.
    OK, I don't really know about "TA" then.
    But if they cut his "VA" "GI" benefits, I wil speak up.

If you serve, you get what you served for.
    GI Bill tuition is (was) part of the deal.

Anyways, I should butt out then, because I don't know a lot about this subject (TA).
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    OK, I don't really know about "TA" then.
    But if they cut his "VA" "GI" benefits, I wil speak up.

If you serve, you get what you served for.
    GI Bill tuition is (was) part of the deal.

Anyways, I should butt out then, because I don't know a lot about this subject (TA).
    Neither one of us may, Stan, but you are spot on when you point out this is pure Obama childish shitfit in his constant attempts at attempting to kill the Republican party. There are so many real CUTS that could be made to all the corruption and waste his regime have been forcing the American Public to endure, that he could be handling this entire Sequestration with zero cutes to personell, or to any program that has value. But that's not his agenda, and only folks like you and I can see it. The fools he's gotten to support him, are just to damned stupid, and still believe he's going to open his 'stash' and pay for their welfare needs and wants. These folks aren't 'low' information, they are NO information.

AS I continue to harp, if we the real Americans don't get their act together in 2014, everything we are posting here will have zero value. then, indeed, Atlas will Shrugg, and John Galt will be long gone.

UB
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

Tuition Assistance is a whole lot different than the GI Bill. In the private sector it's changed constantly depending on the perceived value to the organization. In the private sector the amount is contingent upon what they believe the individuals greater knowledge will benefit the organization directly.

The original GI Bill ($110/month for 36) was put in place for folks who had been drafted at $21/month to allow the private sector to gear up for the influx of disciplined folks returning to the work force. Little did the pol's realize the benefit to the economy. I'm not sure that's an argument that would be valid today.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Interesting article recently in our local paper about private colleges and the G.I. bill.
    http://www.startribune.com/local/191...tml?page=1&c=y

TA was never a guarentee, GI BILL is still funded. THose using TA can still use the GI bill while on acive duty is they want to go to school. TA funding goes away every year because the funding is sometimes used up by your unit,many times when i used it it ran out because so many people were using it, other years there was money left over. Use the GI BIll and get over it. Does it suck it was cut yes, but it is not the end of the world.
    My Father,My Friend,My teacher,and now My Angel~ 04/21/1956-03/21/2011 You will always be missed. I hope to learn half of the stuff you knew.

~Blessed are those who mourn for they shall be comforted~