The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Food for Thought

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    OK : Medicaid or Foreign Aid...either way my views on how we as a nation deal with senior citizens is very fresh on my mind, maybe I have lost my perspective because I am emotional about it ....BUT We have to care of the elderly, we owe it to them morally, its what separates us from some third world countries

We already know how Obama and the rest of the libs want to deal with the elderly... Give them a pill... Make them comfortable and let them go. They had a good life. Obama has essentially said as much on national tv in a townhallnto a lady that asked about a pacemaker for her elderly mother.
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Bill,
    I don't think you quite get it.
    To progressives, criminals are VICTIMS, the elderly are a nuisance.

Watch what OBama care does do the elderly.
    That is not true! Conservatives don't want to pay taxes, leaving mom and dad with a SS check and high inflation.

Menmon, So you have changed tactics since your brief absence! It now appears that Conservatives instead of big "R" republicans are the evil ones.

Quote Originally Posted by menmon View Post
    that is not true! Conservatives don't want to pay taxes, leaving mom and dad with a ss check and high inflation.
    what??????
    Stan b & Elvis

That is not true! Conservatives don't want to pay taxes, leaving mom and dad with a SS check and high inflation.
    Who are you? You know a guy name Sambo? You kind of sound like him... Where you been?
    Bill Davis

OK : Medicaid or Foreign Aid...either way my views on how we as a nation deal with senior citizens is very fresh on my mind, maybe I have lost my perspective because I am emotional about it ....BUT We have to care of the elderly, we owe it to them morally, its what separates us from some third world countries
    Perhaps rather than having lost perspective, you have gained it? So sorry for your loss.
    --Greta Ode
    willing slave to the whims of
    Kerrybrooks Magical Atticus MH
    Coastalight Kiowa Ravenhawk MH

Did just that. Helped Mom with expenses even if it meant we did without the latest and greatest. Promised she would see the inside of a nursing home. Told her I would keep her in her house as long as possible and if need be she lives with us. Made the decision happily and have no regrets. She left her home feet first, just like she wanted to.

Maybe more aid isn't the answer, but more involvement and help from the kids is in order. And before you all go balistic, I realize that's not possible for everyone, but should be a first course for those who can.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Welcome back Sambo.

Quote Originally Posted by Golddogs View Post
    Did just that. Helped Mom with expenses even if it meant we did without the latest and greatest. Promised she would see the inside of a nursing home. Told her I would keep her in her house as long as possible and if need be she lives with us. Made the decision happily and have no regrets. She left her home feet first, just like she wanted to.

Maybe more aid isn't the answer, but more involvement and help from the kids is in order. And before you all go balistic, I realize that's not possible for everyone, but should be a first course for those who can.
    I know exactly what you are talking about. I actually took care of my Mom and Dad for two years in 92-93, it was a full time gig...I would be just getting the breakfast dishes done when my Dad would inquire "what's for lunch"...don't even ask about the chauffeur trips to the doctor,grocery store or the mall...

Looking back now, its the most rewarding job I ever did and would do it again if I had the chance

I also don't think my oldest brother in Austin ever forgave himself for putting Mom is a nursing home in the first place..In most Asian cultures the elderly stay with you to the end, it was that way with my grandmother...but sometime we do what we have to do to survive and keep marriages and sanity intact...there is no right answer to the problem
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

I know exactly what you are talking about. I actually took care of my Mom and Dad for two years in 92-93, it was a full time gig...I would be just getting the breakfast dishes done when my Dad would inquire "what's for lunch"...don't even ask about the chauffeur trips to the doctor,grocery store or the mall...

Looking back now, its the most rewarding job I ever did and would do it again if I had the chance

I also don't think my oldest brother in Austin ever forgave himself for putting Mom is a nursing home in the first place..In most Asian cultures the elderly stay with you to the end, it was that way with my grandmother...but sometime we do what we have to do to survive and keep marriages and sanity intact...there is no right answer to the problem
    Hubby and his brother took care of their Aunt "B" for over 5 and a half years. Hubby left home to make the hour long trip to her house on Friday evening and came home on Tues. morning after breakfast. They ate a lot of good home made vegtable soup ( with hamburger as the meat ). For breakfast she wanted oatmeal. I
    like soup but not two meals every day. They had ice cream in late eveing after the soup but still very tiresome I would think. Diet seldom varied from that on my husband's watch after a few months. She liked that so it's what they did. She would not wear her dentures so those things worked well for her. His brother brought food home from town on at least part of his days. She stayed in her home till the last few weeks. She spent that tme in a hospital.

Cousins had to let their Mother be put in a nursing home but they spent more time at the nursingg home than the staff did. Yep, we do what works for everyone concerned.
    Last edited by charly_t; 03-10-2013 at 10:22 PM.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~