The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Food for Thought

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    Who are you? You know a guy name Sambo? You kind of sound like him... Where you been?
    Been busy...no longer at the bank. That sambo is sorry SOB but his politics are right...but don't get him started...he know how to put republicans in their place.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post

Recent threads regarding elderly folks have made me think how our priorities are a little skewed (or screwed... up!)
    Seniors should be treated with respect but criminals should get bread and water only!
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Quote Originally Posted by menmon View Post
    Been busy...no longer at the bank. That sambo is sorry SOB but his politics are right...but don't get him started...he know how to put republicans in their place.

why yes he did,
    and the place it had a name.
    "High Ground"
    good at it he was.
    welcome back Menmon
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    One can not compared the two. Medicaid is billions in the hole and growing. Planned Parenthood is is less than .1% of our total expenditures! That's less than one-tenth of one percent.
    Have to correct you here, since my mom went to a nursing home.

Most, but not all, nursing homes (even private ones) will accept Medicaid patients. My mom started out paying her way, until her funds ran out. Then the nursing home took the SS check + her small pension (NYS employee for a relatively short time), and left $30 of "spending money" from that. Whatever else they got was from Medicaid. Not all nursing homes accept that arrangement. The county-run home would only take residents in that way: pay their way until funds run out. They would not accept patients who first went to a private nursing home & wanted to then go to the county home when funds were depleted. And the county nursing home cost the same as the private one!

So, indeed, Medicaid does end up paying for many of the elderly.

As a result of this, I acquired long-term care insurance several years ago. I didn't get "THE" best policy offered, but it did have a graduated increment in the daily allowance. Still not sure that will be enough to cover the costs if I should need to use it. Medicare covers some nursing home costs, but of a very limited nature.

I still haven't quite figured out why nursing homes cost as much as they do, since medical costs involved with care are still covered by Medicare.

I think the reason that more elderly end up in nursing homes now is that so many families are 2-income households; or a divorce has taken place. In the case of divorce, someone has to continue to work to provide an income for housing. There is Meals on Wheels to help; and some visiting nurse services and "home aids", but when you have a very elderly person in the house, you simply cannot leave them alone for long periods unsupervised.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post

Most, but not all, nursing homes (even private ones) will accept Medicaid patients. My mom started out paying her way, until her funds ran out. Then the nursing home took the SS check + her small pension (NYS employee for a relatively short time), and left $30 of "spending money" from that. Whatever else they got was from Medicaid. Not all nursing homes accept that arrangement. The county-run home would only take residents in that way: pay their way until funds run out. They would not accept patients who first went to a private nursing home & wanted to then go to the county home when funds were depleted. And the county nursing home cost the same as the private one!

As a result of this, I acquired long-term care insurance several years ago. I didn't get "THE" best policy offered, but it did have a graduated increment in the daily allowance. Still not sure that will be enough to cover the costs if I should need to use it. Medicare covers some nursing home costs, but of a very limited nature.

I still haven't quite figured out why nursing homes cost as much as they do, since medical costs involved with care are still covered by Medicare.

I think the reason that more elderly end up in nursing homes now is that so many families are 2-income households; or a divorce has taken place. In the case of divorce, someone has to continue to work to provide an income for housing. There is Meals on Wheels to help; and some visiting nurse services and "home aids", but when you have a very elderly person in the house, you simply cannot leave them alone for long periods unsupervised.
    Gerry, I think that maybe you misunderstand Medicaid slightly. Healthcare providers such as dentists, physicians, optometrists,ect, MUST accept Medicaid payment as full payment. the provider cannot charge additional to the patient. I am not 100% sure as to nursing homes, but I suspect that is also the case too. As to your Mother's SS and pension, I suspect that the gov was made aware of this income and either collected them in as a requirement of medicaid benefits, or reduced the medicaid reimbursement to the nursing home a comparable amount requiring the nursing home to collect it from your Mother, as per the gov. rules and regulations, and the gov. BEING SUCH A CHARITABLE ORGANIZATION. Regardless of the procedure, the gov. made the rules and regulations.

There are some high-brow nursing homes that will not accept Medicaid. We have a couple of them here where the well-to-do go when their families can no longer give them the care they need. Medicaid will also cover care for those wishing to stay in their homes. That care is not 24 hours a day which many nursing homes residents need.

Medicaid, unlike Medicare was establishes to take care of those that don't have the money to take care of themselves. When one begins on Medicaid, all assets except for that persons home must be used before Medicaid will begin coverage. At death, there is an "estate recovery" clause in the Medicaid Law that allows the state the rights to the home recovering part of the the state's expenses. The gov will go back 7 years on all buisness records of the resident to make sure assets were not illegally taken by the family.

The system is trillions in the hole as there has been wide scale theft by families as well as by providers.
    Last edited by Franco; 03-11-2013 at 10:16 AM.
    Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery. Calvin Coolidge

Regardless of the funds or lack of funds a person has to care for the elderly loved one please anyone that must make the choices for the elderly loved one do serious research on facilities as they are not all created equal. Don't just take a 15 minute tour. Find a way to visit on different days and at different times. I have working therapy dogs and visit such places on a regular basis. I quit going to one that happens to be 5 minutes from the house after an incident. NO way I was ever going back. A patient was yelling for help because they were bleeding. THe blood was pooling on the floor, no reponse form staff and I went to the closest station to notify them. The words that came out of someones mouth were enough for me to pull my dog. They actually at first said it wasn't their "zone". Really? someone is bleeding and the blood is pooling on the floor and they were going to ignore the situation because that room was not in their zone.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Yes, Carly, the SS check/pension did NOT equal the amount the nursing home was getting at "full price". The full price had been around $3000/mo. I was not privy to what Medicaid paid over and above her SS/pension. I figured it was less than the $3000, but something above her SS/pension. So, Medicaid did pay something, though it may not have been as much for her as for someone who had no SS/pension to contribute. I paid separately for some other services, like dental care.

She had no home or significant assets. She had to cash in her small life insurance policy as well. She was allowed to establish a "burial fund account" that was only payable to the funeral home handling the funeral & burial. I think there was a limit on the amount allowed for the burial account. Since she had no spouse or home, those factors did not come into play. This was almost 20 years ago, now, and even back then, a simple funeral/burial cost over $7,000. ( & she already owned her burial plot).
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Yes, Carly, the SS check/pension did NOT equal the amount the nursing home was getting at "full price". The full price had been around $3000/mo. I was not privy to what Medicaid paid over and above her SS/pension. I figured it was less than the $3000, but something above her SS/pension. So, Medicaid did pay something, though it may not have been as much for her as for someone who had no SS/pension to contribute. I paid separately for some other services, like dental care.

She had no home or significant assets. She had to cash in her small life insurance policy as well. She was allowed to establish a "burial fund account" that was only payable to the funeral home handling the funeral & burial. I think there was a limit on the amount allowed for the burial account. Since she had no spouse or home, those factors did not come into play. This was almost 20 years ago, now, and even back then, a simple funeral/burial cost over $7,000. ( & she already owned her burial plot).
    I thought Franco gave a much better explanation than I. My point was that the gov. made those decisions with its rules and regulations and not the nursing home. I neve paticipated in medicaid, except when I worked at the county health department till I could buy the land and build my office. For a time, I went to the local nursing home to provide what little care under the circumstances to patients who were unable to come to my office. I don't think I ever collected a dime but it did give me a look into nursing home life that I would not have had otherwise. At night when I would leave, I would look up at the sky and pray that the dear Lord take me before I wound up in a place like this.

My sister put my Mother in a nursing home even though I had told her not to do so without informing me first. Crying, she called me begging for me to come and get her. I hired sitters 8 hours a day Saturday-Thursday and 12 hrs on Friday. I had her to myself the rest of the time. Being wheelchair bound, I would get up in the night about 3 times to put her socks and shoes on and get her into a wheelchair to go to the bathroom. I did have enough personal time to work and run errands which also included getting her doctors and taking her to her appts. I even got to go fishing with a friend occasionally. My other sister did come up from Florida to let me go back home to deal with my farms. I left at 4 am and was back home by midnight. The trip was about 400 miles. The truly sad part was that she, having no friends here, became so unhappy that she wanted to go back home into a nursing home. She died in 2004, one month shy of 90. My last visit was truly sad. When she passed I received a phone call.

The good thing about these posts is to see that many people do what they can to see that their loved ones live their last days with as much quality of life and only wish that they could have done more.

Being a "Primary Care-Giver" is the single most challenging thing I have ever undertaken, twice.
    Also the most rewarding.

Having said that, as long as I am able, no family member goes into an assisted care facility.
    They come here!
    Although, most are gone now.

In my case, I'll go to the VA Center if that's the way it ends up.
    I'm entitled!!!
    Stan b & Elvis