RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Help! Ribbons and Trophies

4K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  jdirr 
#1 ·
John and I have a LOT of ribbons and trophies that we have accummulated very happily over a 55 year period. We are getting old.
Nobody in our families will give a hoot about them when we pass on. The good traveling trophies can go to the RHOP. Does anyone have any idea of what do with them? Open to suggestions. Do any of the clubs recycle their old awarded trophies to represent? What about ribbons. One friend says he is going to put all his in the hole they will bury him in. I don't think we want to do that. Ugh!

#8 ·
That is beautiful. I'd much rather have that than the 500 point jacket I've been chasing.

Lonnie Spann

#15 ·
Judy - you might talk to the retriever clubs that you have been members of and see if they have interest in 're-gifting' (re-using, as trophies) any of your old trophies. Maybe they are not antiques but they do have historical value. In many cases (depends on type of trophy), you can have a small engraved plaque made to indentify the new use and apply it to the old trophy. I have some experience doing this so if you have questions feel free to contact me at riskyriver@juno.com
Diane

#16 ·
I have thought about doing that--especially with the decoys. Also some of the others that are pretty nice. I have wondered how it would work like this:

Name of club
stake and placement
year
add: John W. Martin
NFC/AFC Orion's Sky

and then,

Name of Club
Stake and Placement
New Year

Some clubs might go for that. It is a lot cheaper than their purchasing new trophies and probably a lot better than they are giving out now! Good suggestion! Thanks, Judy

#21 ·
I am not sure her name but she is on my site. I am going to try it with blue ribbons.
I will do a "Log Cabin" and stitch them together and then back with muslim. I will fill and back with something not slippery like flannel. Put it in my living room and kill anyone who gets a spot on it. Judy

Practice. I never made a quilt in my life but have been doing it this year. Am getting to something I can give. The first two I tossed. Learned: start with something about a foot square which will not hurt to pitch and go from there. Also, I learned not to bind. Stitch, turn right side out and sew around the edge about a fourth of an inch in and it looks great. Binding is very, very hard for me. Plus, awfully, you have to hand stitch the binding on the back side. Horrific process for us impatient ones. (The smaller they are the better the chance that it will be finished.)

Judy

#22 ·
I am not sure her name but she is on my site. I am going to try it with blue ribbons.
I will do a "Log Cabin" and stitch them together and then back with muslim. I will fill and back with something not slippery like flannel. Put it in my living room and kill anyone who gets a spot on it. Judy

Practice. I never made a quilt in my life but have been doing it this year. Am getting to something I can give. The first two I tossed. Learned: start with something about a foot square which will not hurt to pitch and go from there. Also, I learned not to bind. Stitch, turn right side out and sew around the edge about a fourth of an inch in and it looks great. Binding is very, very hard for me. Plus, awfully, you have to hand stitch the binding on the back side. Horrific process for us impatient ones. (The smaller they are the better the chance that it will be finished.)

Judy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.