The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AKC hunt test distances

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_C View Post
    "Shall" means just that. You can't do it....and be within the rules that is.

Hunt test dog, gun dog or field trial dog, you always want them to be underwhelmed at tests/trials or hunting. Most HT people I've trained with will throw 200 - 300 yard marks at least occasionally to prepare their dog to be underwhelmed at tests. Marks from 100 - 250 yds were the norm for my last training group. We would then throw in check down birds/shorter marks as we neared a HT so the dogs didn't overrun everything.
    You probably better tell the judges that, I was at a few tests last year were one was in the 180 range , and another test had a flower pot double at 170 yards,
    HRCH Rocky Mountain Rosco SH (RIP)
    HRCH Satins Jumpin Jedi MH (600+points)
    HRCH 4X GMPR KB's Snakey Jake of Poudre River MH (600+points)
    HRCH APR Lady Satin of Black Forest JH
    HRCH MPR KB's It Showtime of Bearpoint (Star) JH
    HRCH KB's Loaded to go Allie SH
    HRCH 2XGMPR KB's Blazin White Thunder (Blaze) SH
    HRCH 4XGMPR KBs Right To The Point Ike SH
    HRCH 3XGMPR KBs Hunters Dream JH
    HRCH GMPR KBs They Call Me Beau JH
    HR 2XGMPR KBs Princess Sage JH

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    I finally found the rule change. It was in a letter sent out as someone mentioned above. I copied the pertinent parts below:

1. Distance in Master Tests. Test distances in the Master level test should not normally exceed 150 yards. (Previously 100 yards.) Distances in Junior and Senior tests will remain unchanged (should not normally exceed 100 yards). Chapter 5, Section 1.
    Note: Clubs may no longer state in the event premium that marks and blinds may be in excess of the “should not normally exceed” clause.
    2. Clarification of a Triple. In Master level tests where a dog is required to retrieve a triple mark, to clarify, the following wording has been added - “The three falls must be presented before a dog is sent to retrieve any mark or blind.” Chapter 5, Section 7.
    Isn't the wording "should not" and not "shall not"?
    Tom Dorroh

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas D View Post
    Isn't the wording "should not" and not "shall not"?
    "Should not" is correct.
    --Greta Ode
    willing slave to the whims of
    Kerrybrooks Magical Atticus MH
    Coastalight Kiowa Ravenhawk MH

And therein lies the problem. When it stated should not normally exceed 100 yds there were always judges pushing out to 120-130 yds. Now that it states 150 yds, there will be judges that have to push out to 170-180 yds. Today in training we ran 4 marks, 2 check down at 100 or so yds, 1 at 200 yds and one at 250-275 yds. Even with white on, the long gunner was hard to see with the dead yellow grass and the sun overhead. How much harder for the dog when there is nothing to focus on.
    mostlygold
    Terrill's Mr Butch CDX TT; Terrill's Adalay CD TD; Goldtraks Once 'n Luv with Amy CD MH WCX; Goldtraks Opening Day; Highlands Split Image MH WCX **; Karousel's Goldtrak Maguire JH WCX; Highlands On A Dare CD MH WCX **; MHR HRCH Adirondac Bustd at the Bordr UD MH AXP AJP WCX CCA VCX CL3 PKII PDI; Mostlygold's On the Mark CL3 PJII PKI; HR WR Adirondac Mountain Renegade CDX MH WCX CCA VC

We don't stop playing because we've grown old, we grow old because we've stopped playing.

Exactly. Although I think the intent was to give judges options when faced with no terain, it will soon be what you said with other factors to deal with.
    Tom Dorroh

Does anyone think this will make a big difference in success rates?