RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Whats your favorite duck?

14K views 94 replies 80 participants last post by  Lonnie Spann 
#1 ·
Just curious whats your favorite duck, puddler or diver? Mine is a widgeon, I say most is a mallard

#8 ·
Mine to, it was the bird I was brought up on. I didn't even see a mallard until my fourth hunting season, so a Bull Sprig was king of the ducks to me. Now that I've been in Montana over two decades, Sprig are rare trophies, so even more special. Mallards are beautiful but very common up here. Gadwall are so plain, I like the look of fully mature Green Wing Teal or Widgeon drakes, but pintail are special to me.

#10 ·
My favorite is the Canvasback. The limit is one and usually "encountered" on a late season, more difficult hunt. My only duck mount is a pair of canvasbacks.

I can remember every "Can" and what dog retrieved it. The first was in North Dakota by "Daisy" and the last was in Pool 13 of the Mississippi River by "Limit". The lone exception was a 'bull" that was "netted" via a tender boat.

#21 ·
My favorite is the Canvasback. The limit is one and usually "encountered" on a late season, more difficult hunt. My only duck mount is a pair of canvasbacks.

I can remember every "Can" and what dog retrieved it. The first was in North Dakota by "Daisy" and the last was in Pool 13 of the Mississippi River by "Limit". The lone exception was a 'bull" that was "netted" via a tender boat.
X2 Canvas are fun and good eating

#25 ·
Its fun to see how the geography determines the answers. We can walk out and shoot 3 wood ducks on the waterway any day here. The drakes are still beautiful, but once you tend to treasure the ducks you rarely get.

For us in Mississippi, that would include Canvasbacks, Redheads, Pintail... all around, but not real common!

#26 ·
I always liked Daffy.

#31 ·
There is nothin like a Bull Can out of a layout boat. They are also Delicous.

#32 ·
Bull Sprig is my favorite

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.