Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats your favorite duck?

Favorites:
    To eat- Teal (chi-fried!!!)
    To look at- Wood Duck drake
    To watch fly- Cans/Pintail
    To decoy- Mallard
    Most startling yet exhilarating- Ringnecks burning the marsh from behind at 5' over your head at just light-sheesh!!!

Just plain ole like- Widgeon
    Last edited by David Maddox; 03-10-2013 at 11:07 AM.
    We are only as good as those that surround us.

Birthplace to:
    •FC-BAYOU TECHE TEX-'09 Nat'l Finalist
    •FC-BUTCH's DREAM CODE of TCR-2x Nat'l Qualifier
    •FC-DREAM DANCIN'-2x Nat'l Qualifier
    Gettin' Jiggy Widdit-MH
    Dancin' Dreamer Kate-MH (•FC-"FINN",QAA-"Coal"-MNHofF, QAAs-"Tank", QAA-"Allie", MH-"Tease", QAA-"Hardy", MNH-Ruby)

RIP Sweet mama Dancy!!!

For me it has to be cupped wing Pintails , dropping into the spread, Sophies eyes glued to the lead ,and waiting to take the back Pintail first, maybe the follow up on the lead bird, then seeing that double tumble down and the retrive happen, it is about as good as it gets, my hunting partner in my retriever
    Nothing Bad happens to pup on my watch

Steve Talbot

Drake Wood Duck and Pintail.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Lot of wood duck lovers, they are very pretty ducks but I got tired of shooting them when I lived in North carolina. The duck I really want to shoot is a canvasback. Im still young maybe Ill get my chance. My wall consist of a Black duck, widgeon, and a gadwall. I might try to get all the puddlers on the wall. Either way I cant think of a duck I dont like, except a coot. lol

Sprigs and Cans

Black Duck. I have one mounted that I killed in Alaska. Everyone knows there are no Black Ducks in Alaska... But this one was... Don't know why she was there..., but it was a bluebird day and I was daydreaming. If she hadn't quacked as she flew over my boat, I wouldn't have even known she was there. Just threw the gun up and pulled the trigger and she folded. I assumed I had shot a hen Mallard, till my young dog lifted her head out of the cattails and I saw the speculum.. I couldn't believe what I was seeing! I was born and raised in SC, hunting flooded timber swamps most of my life and some along the coast as well. Black ducks were fairly common. But, having hunted in the marshes of Alaska for 20 years, I had never heard of anyone shooting or even seeing one.

Luckily I had a witness. Jim Portch of Anchorage was hunting with me that day. Jim is(was) a member of the RCA.
    Bill Davis

You guy's won't get too many of these. Even Us In Scotland get but a mere glimpse of them ,but they do come in!..When they do, and If you time it right with the evening flight!?
    It sure is a great way to 'steady the dog'. Anybody Know what type of duck it is? (eug excluded)

Last edited by polmaise; 03-10-2013 at 07:03 PM.
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

Any duck with the proper camo - for viewing, Widgeon both American & Eurasian (have only seen one of those up close). I think the females are cool in any species. Our pond has become a stopover for many on their way North - quiet, some cracked corn & hen scratch, & short grass to eat . The Widgeon & other little guys are wary, Mallards & Honks not so much so.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

For eating---- Hands down Teal.
    John Stroh, Lodi ca

There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace…........If one has cut, split, hauled, and piled his own good oak, and let his mind work the while, he will remember much about where the heat comes from, and with a wealth of detail denied to those who spend the weekend in town astride a radiator.

Aldo Leopold

GW teal for eating.... Mallards and Sprigs for shooting in the Dekes...

Richard
    SHOOT EM' IN THE LIPS..........

HRCH Otter Sloughs Bronze Gander

www.ducksloughkennel.com

Romans 8:28