The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: please help me on force to pile

Default please help me on force to pile

this is about to drive me crazy!! i have been on force to pile for almost a month, i am trying to go verry slow and to a very good job, but i feel like i am dragging it out to long. My pup is 16 months old and everything was going smooth and i was about to move on to double t then last week i noticed a flair coming up and i am just wandering if i should move on even if there is a small flair? and she always wants to line up left of the pile?? so i have to line her up constantly and she still kicks off to the left slightly when she leaves but its not but abot 3-5 yards off line? she has a great compulsion to get to the pile and stops good on the whistle and will come in from the pile, but i am about to pull my hair out trying to iron out the line and get her to quit bugging slightly by not locking onto the pile. what should i do? i feel like a month of force is getting on the long side.
    Train,Hunt,Enjoy

I sent you a pm. Dobbs has notes online about dogs that flair. Put chairs on either side of the line.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA

HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI

Metras's Hashtag Mickey

Not happening in single t happening in final stages of ftp with stops on the way out to the pile. Waiting to move on to full t and double t.
    Train,Hunt,Enjoy

It's called sit to the pile before the single tee or double tee is started. Your stopping at various points on the way to the pile, maybe calling in a ways stopping, then casting, then lining through the pile after stopping, whew a mouth full. If that's mostly correct and you are getting a flare on the cast?

Try to find a fence, put a short pile and cast into the fence leaving just enough room for the dog to turn. First do a right hand or left-hand cast, either side first. Do the same thing as sit to the pile, lining through after the cast..walk out remote sit the dog cast into the fence receive the dog from the lining point/line. Line through it again, do the remote cast etc,etc. Go back after a few days with sit to pile and see if the flare is gone. If not repeat the fence.
    Earl Dillow

Yes that is right we have been doing sit to pile, and she flairs from a side send, it is like she is try to get out quick and pulls off line to the left from the start, but even from a remote sit there is a slight flair to the left.
    Train,Hunt,Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by dtmanring View Post
    Yes that is right we have been doing sit to pile, and she flairs from a side send, it is like she is try to get out quick and pulls off line to the left from the start, but even from a remote sit there is a slight flair to the left.
    Try the second paragraph. Don't make it lopsided, use both sides even if it is the left side If you are forcing on back just give the command several times, no burns, on the way to the pile, back, back, after the remote send. Line through it again, at the point of the remote sit, back, back. Comming back to you for the delivery has to be straight even if it means whistle sit on the return to straighten out. Let me know how it goes.
    Earl Dillow