RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

2013 Iditarod pics of the official start

4K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  Keith Stroyan 
#1 · (Edited)
Here are pics of the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race start in Willow. The pics are mostly of previous champions, including four-time winners Martin Buser, Lance Mackey and Jeff King. Also there is 2011 champion John Baker. And then a few pics of the real champions _ the Iditarod dogs.

Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae
Smile Fun Headgear Snow Recreation
Snow Dog Canidae Vehicle Winter
Beanie Knit cap Cap Snow Headgear
Beanie Knit cap Cap Winter Snow
People Snow Winter Knit cap Fun
Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae

See less See more
#5 ·
For anyone interested in a Iditarod dogs and how a study of their conditioning has influenced deployment of our military dogs here's an interesting read.

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/article/how-science-iditarod-dogs-saves-soldiers-lives

And if you're looking to pull for one of the mushers in particular I'd suggest Aliy Zirkle - her kennel is cited in this study. She also runs Hunt Tests in our local club with her self trained BLF and has been recognized for taking the best care of her dogs by the vets that monitor all the teams that run the race.

#11 ·
I think me and my HRCH lab could give them a run for their money IF we began the race by leaving from a holding and finished by running to a bucket :D

Lonnie Spann

#12 ·
What do these folks do when they aren't racing to earn the money it takes to keep all these dogs up? Looks like feeding them would be a full time job that doesn't pay very well. Is there a market for trained mushing dogs and if so, what kind of $$ are we talking about?

#13 ·
The other night I watched a television show titled "Yukon Men"and there was a fellow with sled dogs and he was catching TONS of fish to feed his dogs.

Lonnie Spann

#16 ·
Here are pics of the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race start in Willow. The pics are mostly of previous champions, including four-time winners Martin Buser, Lance Mackey and Jeff King. Also there is 2011 champion John Baker. And then a few pics of the real champions _ the Iditarod dogs.

View attachment 11798 View attachment 11799 View attachment 11800 View attachment 11801 View attachment 11802 View attachment 11803 View attachment 11804

Why didn't you get some photos of the ACTUAL start? Dogs pulling, snow flying, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.