The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paw licking

Thanks for all the responses, I guess we will try a taper off the old food and into some different food. I feed my YLF nutro which does not contain corn gluten or lamb meal, which Science diet did. It also contains some of the oils and vitamins that were recommended to help with decreasing inflammation in paw lickers...I was skeptical of the food allergy, because we were told true food allergies are very rare (1/500 - 1/1000).
    We have the booties on as a physical barrier, she will still lick the booties, but is unable to make contact and worsen her paws. Some of it may be boredom as the indoor dog stays indoor throughout the day, but she still licks when we are home and the other dog is out.
    She is spayed, and it could also be stress (from what...I have no idea, she has it pretty easy and good haha)
    Thanks again for the insight, keep the thoughts coming!
    Matt
    Matthew Ries, Pharm.D.

Poole's Matador's Maggie May (04/14/2012 - Present)
    Lacakota Super Magnum (02/20/2002 - 07/2010)

If you decide to switch food you need to do it in a rather methodical method and it can be very time consuming. Primary culprits are chicken, wheat/corn/soy, and rice. Since you are feeding lamb, I'd maybe switch to a chicken or sea food formula as primary protein source and see what happens. If that fails you know it is not your primary protein. Then I would zero in on the wheat/corn/soy. Most grain free foods eliminate those 3 all together. See what happens. If that does not fix I'd look at eliminating rice. Any rice, brown, brewers, rice flour, whatever. You may luck out like I did and see almost immediate results in 3-4 days, but my vet said it could take upwards of 8 weeks for the dogs body to eliminate whatever is the cause. My vet and food supplier both stated there is a rather large percentage of dogs with some type of food allergy. The owners do not recognize the symptoms or live with it for lack of knowledge. Work with your pet store and they can really help you find a good food for what you need. Feel free to PM me if you like, I went through this about a year and a half ago. Best of luck.
    Last edited by ad18; 03-10-2013 at 11:16 AM.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Seminole Ben SH WCX
    2NMH 3GMH HRCH Heads Up Lightning Strikes WCX

Have they checked for yeast infection between Toes ? Mine had it, and would chew his paws

You wouldn't believe how many dogs we groom that have allergies and they are eating Science Diet. Science Diet is a crap food. The prescription food is all they have going for them. Vets just push it as it is what they carry. Maybe try an LID (Limited Ingredient Diet). They will balk at it at first but will eat it once they get hungry.
    Steph

Brittany - Border Collie/Springer Spaniel CGC
    Meka- Basset/Aussie
    Zoe's Taller N Me - Zoe Irish Wolfhound 9/04/2004 - 11/20/2013 I love you Big Girl!
    Ember Raise The Bar CGC - Corona (a fluffy)
    Embers Aint Misbehavin - Flirt (Corona's mini me)

A good friend helps you up when you fall. A best friend pees their pants laughing and trips you again!

Likely yeast (Malassezia yeast) between the toes and/or bacteria infections. Is the skin between toes red or pink? Does you dog get ear infections or have issues on the skin elsewhere, little scabs? If you have your vet examine samples taken from between toes, on skin and in ears you can find the exact cell types of any yeast and bacteria present and treat as appropriate.
    The attached links will provide very good info on treatments for specific yeast and bacteria. The Vet from Colorado State University is really good at explaining dermatology issues. If you vet gives something other than what is talked about in the articles maybe ask questions.
    If you don't want to do all the skin scrape tests, in the short term maybe ask vet for some Ketoconazole Shampoo and a spray that has both Miconazole and Chlorhexidine in it. Give the dog a bath once a week and spray between toes top & bottom once or twice a day. If it clears up in a week it's yeast.

Whom ever told you allergies are uncommon was way off. Besides food many dogs have allergies to environmental things like pollen's, grasses etc and for indoor dogs your everyday house dust mites can be a big problem.
    I'll attached links to some professional dermatology articles on bacteria, yeast and allergy issues and various solutions including treating chronic infections. read through and use some of the terms for your own searches to find more if you want.
    http://www.dcavm.org/05apr.html
    http://www.dcavm.org/03jan.htm
    Also do a search for Atopic Dermatitus, you may find something that applies to your dog.
    If you have a Aural Lick Granuloma problem due to boredom or thyroid or whatever here's an article from Pet MD.
    http://www.petmd.com/dog/general-hea...logy_nightmare
    Last edited by Breck; 03-10-2013 at 02:00 PM.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

When mine was licking. His I called the dermotologist and asked them and the reply was "since we already checked his feet it must be something else and wanted to retest" ( for other allergies) . Then I called my regular vet and he said he always tries to look at the feet...., But I have never seen any of them look at the bottom between toes, Carried him in on regular visit and asked them to do it. Alls it took was putting a peace of tape there and looking at it on micro scope and he had it.

And I did have a Beagle in the past and vet called it a lick granuloma (sp?) he said it was from boredome. Kept trying to treat it but didnt help for long. Got a new dog to keep him company and problem went away.
    Last edited by Brad; 03-10-2013 at 04:07 PM.

Thanks for the responses, I think we have more to look into now.
    Breck - *Correction - her original issue was deep in the center of her paw by the pad. Now since it involves the tissue between the digits and is red with a clear oozing fluid. She does not have ear infections. As Ad18 pointed out, we checked her ears and did not find anything out of the ordinary.
    I also said that we were told "true food allergies" were rare. When the vet failed to find anything and the dog got the first 2 rounds of antibiotics and steroids with little improvement, he concluded it was allergies. Gave us the benadryl recommendation and tips on cleaning her paws, but nothing further.
    I think treating this as a yeast, especially if its just a bath or topical, the benefits clearly outweigh the risks if we can get this cleared up.
    Brad - thank you for the tips, we will do something like this. The boredom part could honestly be some of it. This dog was use to routine attention prior to moving, and for most of the time post-moving it had interaction with other dogs daily until we settled into this house. The only part that makes me skeptical about it being the sole underlying cause is that in the midst of everyone being home and engaged and playing with our YLF, she still licks.
    Fortunate it has not turned into a granuloma yet, I am sorry you had to go through that...the pictures make it look pretty bad.
    Matt
    Last edited by Matthew J. Ries; 03-10-2013 at 04:24 PM.
    Matthew Ries, Pharm.D.

Poole's Matador's Maggie May (04/14/2012 - Present)
    Lacakota Super Magnum (02/20/2002 - 07/2010)