The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Pointing labs!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Flint View Post
    I don't know if I believe that. I swear they wait until I reach down to pick up my hat when it gets knocked off.

Then there was the time I leaned my gun against a tree to take a leak, good thing my boots are waterproof I guess....
    I see your point...I did almost step on one.....scared the crap out of me. It actually hit my shotgun barrel as it flushed.....I never got a shot off LOL
    I have a couple deer stories like that...gun down, attending to nature LOL
    Labrador Retriever, a 20g & grouse...is there a better combination?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Flint View Post
    I don't know if I believe that. I swear they wait until I reach down to pick up my hat when it gets knocked off.

Then there was the time I leaned my gun against a tree to take a leak, good thing my boots are waterproof I guess....
    Or how about when you are hunting with a friend and you stop a second to have some water, have a word with your friend and then up go a pair causing you to cuss....
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

Livin' a trailer in the forest, down by the river

"I would like to hear from anyone who has tried hunting grouse w/ a pointing Lab. I’ve used both Setters & Springers and it seems like when I’ve got a Setter in front of me, I wish I had a flusher to get in there so I could stay outside & shoot"
    I do, and that is the main bird we hunt here in NW MI. Very skittish birds, they see lots of pressure, but I stopped posting on these threads a long time ago. Dave if you really would like to hear about PLs hunting ruffed grouse PM me.
    Train for Total Confidence not Total Compliance
    ------------->"Let 'em Roll"<--------------
    4xGMPR HRCH Sauble River "Gator"
    GMPR HRCH HRKs Liberators Outlaw "Rondo" SH
    GMPR VeraGators Smokin' Diablo of G'Force "Smokey"
    ---> Outlaw Upland~Waterfowl Labs <---

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    "I would like to hear from anyone who has tried hunting grouse w/ a pointing Lab. I’ve used both Setters & Springers and it seems like when I’ve got a Setter in front of me, I wish I had a flusher to get in there so I could stay outside & shoot"
    I do, and that is the main bird we hunt here in NW MI. Very skittish birds, they see lots of pressure, but I stopped posting on these threads a long time ago. Dave if you really would like to hear about PLs hunting ruffed grouse PM me.
    I was hoping you'd see the PL on grouse question.
    Joe Dickerson

R.I.P. 4xGMPR HRCH Hunters Marsh Jack Daniels Bubba Jazz MH
    Call Name: JD

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    "if you really would like to hear about PLs hunting ruffed grouse PM me.
    I do..please post away. Any grouse talk is good talk!!!!
    Labrador Retriever, a 20g & grouse...is there a better combination?

Livin' a trailer in the forest, down by the river

I all honesty it's very hard to get anything done with dial-up, even here. That and I am puter challenged, but not so on PLs or being a dedicated to them and hunting grouse with them.
    Train for Total Confidence not Total Compliance
    ------------->"Let 'em Roll"<--------------
    4xGMPR HRCH Sauble River "Gator"
    GMPR HRCH HRKs Liberators Outlaw "Rondo" SH
    GMPR VeraGators Smokin' Diablo of G'Force "Smokey"
    ---> Outlaw Upland~Waterfowl Labs <---

[QUOTE=Dave Flint;1081065]I guess Iím never going to understand why someone would want to hunt pheasants w/ a pointing dog. Pheasants and flushing dogs were made for each other.

We hunt both our labs and our "pointy" dogs on pheasants as well as other upland birds. Up until last season, the labs usually put up more pheasants than the pointy guys. But, it wasn't ever a big difference. It just depends on the terrain we are hunting. As I'm sure everyone on this forum that hunts wild pheasants already knows - ditch dragons are clever bastards that like the nastiest cover they can find. That's why a flushing dog "usually" is the first choice. Most roosters won't hold for a point once the season is well underway and the birds know the game. But last season, my red setter Robert pointed and held more pheasants than my lab, Sarge, who is a super-duper pheasant dog.

One of my two BEST phez hunting stories this past season was with my red guy. (The other BEST phez day was the one with Sarge - my avator pic).

Robert (the red guy) and I were hunting along an irrigation ditch. Only two days left open for pheasant - eastern Washington. Quail was still open, but our focus was on roosters and I had "late season" shotgun shells and chokes. As Robert worked the cover I followed as quietly as possible. No whistles, no voice, no nothing. As we neared the end of the field, I lost sight of Robert. I knew he was up ahead and figured he was on a point near the thick cover. I continued on, ever so quietly, and four quail flushed in front of me. Without a second thought, I blasted away - twice. Missing (note - I'm normally a lousy shot). I reloaded and looked for Robert. I "beep-beeped" on his collar - which is our stealthy communication which means "here." But, he didn't show. So, I thought, he must still be on a point. I continued on and two more quail flushed from the heavy brush - again I shot twice - and missed (and cussed). I looked up and saw Robert pointing back into the thick brush/trees up to my right about 35-40 yards. Well, I KNOW it must be more quail because I've been hunting wild pheasants for over 20 years in eastern Washington and no way would they be holding after all my shooting (and cussing) this late in the season. So, I decided not to waste any more of my "phez" loads on quail that I obviously wasn't hitting. As I walked toward him, Robert glanced over at me only moving his eyes and then looked back - he was on a solid point. I was holding my gun in my left hand as I went in to flush the quail. Five hens and three roosters flushed! All within gun range. Ha! Guess I don't know everything about late season roosters.

Thanks for the story. Please tell me that you hit at least one of those roosters. Robert deserved it.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013