The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Pointing labs!!

very well said

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Flint View Post
    Watching a pointing dog point & relocate multiple times on a moving rooster can be amusing for awhile, but if he does manage to pin it down, its not much sport to hit a big, slow pheasant that flushes at your feet. At least for a grown man whos handled a shotgun a bit.
    I shot a couple dozen in Fort Pierre that way over 20 different pointing dogs. My bitch who's about to drop some pups was far more a pleasure to shoot over than any pointer in my opinion

I enjoy hunting over both, really I just enjoy watching dogs work if they point I am all for letting hunters shoulder their shotguns and flushing it, when a dog is trailing a bird I alert hunters and when the dog flushes the bird they are ready.

I love labs and they are very versitile, choose what you like I dont think that one is better than the other.
    Justin E Schneider

Xtreme's 30 Rounds N' 1 Full Maggie SH
    Foundation's One Up the Sleeve

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail." -- Josh Billings

Some peoples stiffest competition is themselves.--MooseGooser

Dang... sure is a lot of hatred toward pointing labs around here. I guess now I'm glad I do more lurking than posting. I didn't realize my pointing BLF pup was so inferior to the rest of the Labs out there. And what's worse is now I know that I'll be considered a "novice" for shooting birds over a pointing dog... wow.

Quote Originally Posted by J_Brown View Post
    Dang... sure is a lot of hatred toward pointing labs around here. I guess now I'm glad I do more lurking than posting. I didn't realize my pointing BLF pup was so inferior to the rest of the Labs out there. And what's worse is now I know that I'll be considered a "novice" for shooting birds over a pointing dog... wow.
    I`m really thinking of starting a couple new breeds myself.One would be the pointing spaniel and the next will be the flushing Brittany.Have had a couple very soft on flush springers that went down the road,shoulda kept them...Haaaa! Jim

What, is it 1998 all over again? LOL
    Labrador Retriever, a 20g & grouse...is there a better combination?

Glad I started this thread, it looks like I'm not alone. Enough "pointing", "white", "red" and "silver" labs already! I train between 40 and 50 dogs a year, I also guide pheasant hunters at quite a few different lodges around the state retrieving thousands of birds with my own dogs so I think I am qualified enough to say stick with the real labs they have a lot more trainabilty and a much stronger desire to retrieve!
    Last edited by misarskennels; 03-11-2013 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by misarskennels View Post
    Glad I started this thread, it looks like I'm not alone. Enough "pointing", "white", "red" and "silver" labs already! I train between 40 and 50 dogs a year, I also guide pheasant hunters at quite a few different lodges around the state retrieving thousands of birds with my own dogs so I think I am qualified enough to say stick with the real labs they have a lot more trainabilty and a much stronger desire to retrieve!
    I think there are plenty of pointing lab owners out there that would disagree. I bet there are just as many "real labs" out there with poor trainability and weak desire to retrieve.

Lakota's Hurricane Cruz is a 4xGMPR and HRCH champion, and the youngest pointing lab to achieve 4xGMPR. Are you saying you'd rather hunt over a "real lab" than you would over Cruz???

There are a bunch of 3x and 4xGMPR's out there these days... The GMPR is a pretty tough test. So how can you say PL's lack trainability or desire to retrieve???

One prominent pointing lab breeder and trainer Guarantees his dogs will point. If they don't point, he will give free training to teach them to point. lol... kind of scratch my head about that one.

I have hunted with your "gmpr" dogs many times in many different fields and they get schooled by dogs out of fc's every time! I'm not saying all pointing labs are junk just the majority, but as long as you enjoy your pup that's all that matters.
    Last edited by misarskennels; 03-11-2013 at 10:55 AM.