The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Pointing labs!!

Paul "Happy" Gilmore
    like a silver lab thread. People get upset when you call them chocolate. hehe..
    Expressing oneself tactfully is a fairly simple process if one filters comments with the definitions of bias and taunting.

bias - an inclination or preference that influences judgment from being balanced or even-handed

taunting - to reproach in a mocking, insulting, or contemptuous manner. (synonym – ridicule)

Then again sarcasm would become a lost art.

Not “pointing” any fingers regards, Jim
    Jim Boyer www.kwicklabs.com
    KwickLabs Fountain of Youth - Pounce
    MPR UH HRCH Kwick Taffey of Joemac's MH
    HR Kwick Daisy's Spirit Keeper SH
    Kwick Kooly Dew It Allstar SH
    HR Kwick Draw McGraw SH (June, 2007 - May, 2014)

I find this thread interesting to say the least. I was hoping somebody who breeds pointing labs might chime in. I've been reading quite a bit on pointing labs. I stand to be corrected on this - but, It's my understanding that the "pointing trait" is recessive, and it may or may not show up in a labrador. The "point" comes from the original development of the breed, and crossing with pointers. Because a labrador points or not, does not make it more or less a Labrador retriever.

Quote Originally Posted by misarskennels View Post
    If you don't like this "pointing lab" thread don't read it ,and if you think there's no difference between a pup out of an fc compared to a pup out of a "certified pointer" try training them for a living! For some reason they both seem to cost about the same.
    Sounds like the pointing labs have a strong FC pedigree? Now you have me confused about certifiable pointing labs and the FC's who sired most of them. I shortened the previous post by Swack..

"There seems to be a belief among those who have posted that there is a difference between "pointing Labs" and AKC FT Labs. I'm not sure this is true.
    grand-daughter of '72 & '75 NAFC and 3x CNFC River Oaks Corky. Those two dogs were arguably the dominate AKC FT dogs of the late '60's and early '70's.
    Wilderness Harley to Go who was a major producer of FT Labs. Harley produced 5 dogs who won a national title (NFC, NAFC, CNF, & CNAFC) qualified for 3 national opens and was a "finalist" in the 1989 National Amateur. Harley was bred on Super Chief and River Oaks Corky lines through his sire, FC-AFC Itchin' to Go and his dam, AFC Black Golds Candlewood Kate (Kate was by NAFC-FC River Oaks Rascal, a Corky son, out of FC-AFC Candlewoods Nellie-B-Good, a Soupy daughter).

Ebonstar Lean Mac. Mac produced more AKC FC's than any sire in the history of the Labrador breed. I have also hunted with another grandson of Mac. Both were very strong pointing dogs."

Great thread. Pointing labs are like a trend. Pointing labs, red labs, white labs, silver labs, labs that do hand stands, labs that do cart wheels, etc., etc., etc. People trying to make a quick buck and look cute. Drives me crazy. Most of those people have never seen a field trial either. They think following a dog in slow motion and stoping to watch their dog look at a pen raised bird is real fun. Overrated but hey to each its own.
    Keep plugging Away!

I was thinking of getting a Silver, British, Pointing Lab.....
    Thanks,

Erik
    --
    Old Oak's Irish Poet ~ "Teegan"

Sire: Irish FTCH Rockenhart Voyager
    Dam: Old Oak's Ipswich Addie JH

Quote Originally Posted by SD Lab View Post
    Great thread. Pointing labs are like a trend. Pointing labs, red labs, white labs, silver labs, labs that do hand stands, labs that do cart wheels, etc., etc., etc. People trying to make a quick buck and look cute. Drives me crazy. Most of those people have never seen a field trial either. They think following a dog in slow motion and stoping to watch their dog look at a pen raised bird is real fun. Overrated but hey to each its own.
    I know a breeder (notice I didn't say a PL breeder) that took a PL from thier breeding and put a QAA on it. Just sayin'

My dog doesn't do slow motion in the field, but like you said to each their own.
    Joe Dickerson

R.I.P. 4xGMPR HRCH Hunters Marsh Jack Daniels Bubba Jazz MH
    Call Name: JD

Quote Originally Posted by misarskennels View Post
    If you don't like this "pointing lab" thread don't read it ,and if you think there's no difference between a pup out of an fc compared to a pup out of a "certified pointer" try training them for a living! For some reason they both seem to cost about the same.
    And people can choose to spend their money they way they want.
    Joe Dickerson

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    like a silver lab thread. People get upset when you call them chocolate. hehe..

The Chessie above was a rescue. There is a duck laying down in the clump of grass. Dog was about 5 years old and had never seen a live bird before. Froze solid. Didn't know what to make of it. I was laughing with a friend about it.

I think it's a natural tendency you can bring out in just about every dog. Look at the list of FC's which were mentioned above as being sires to all these pointing labs. If that many FC's (well known ones too) can produce pointing labs, a large family of pointing labs is out there and people never encouraged the "point" in the dogs.

With that being said, if the point is not developing(lots of aforementioned Famous FC sires in the previous post) then it is not natural, it is a trained behavior.
    I need some clarification. Are you saying that since there aren't more dog showing point that some PL's are standing game and not pointing?
    Joe Dickerson

Quote Originally Posted by Socks View Post
    I need some clarification. Are you saying that since there aren't more dog showing point that some PL's are standing game and not pointing?
    No, not really saying that they are or aren't. Whay I was getting at is that with such a large mention of FC's in the PL pedigree's, why aren't more pups from all these breedings coming out with a staunch point at 8 weeks old like you get from a well bred GSP?

Look I'm not saying there is anything wrong with a well bred lab that happens to point, my problem is with "breeder " who breeds his dog just because it points. There r plenty of great dogs that point but breeding two labs because they have a "staunch" point is bad voo-doo!