RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

*Illegal DVD Sales* Copied/Pirated Material - It's Illegal!

4K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  ebenezer 
#1 ·
A recent RTF Classified buyer got a DVD deal that seemed too good to be true. When the Intructional material arrived, he found out why. He wanted to take his bargain purchase, train a puppy, then resell the material and recover his money. What he got was a memorex disc burned on a PC, with magic marker writing across the front. (Although the handwriting was lovely!) He realized he'd been duped and he reported it.

The abuse of RTF classifieds to sell pirated/copied material as a knockoff of the original product is illegal and as such, can not be tolerated here.

Sellers, RTF is not here to take advantage of others, to steal or to be dishonest.

To the seller - make good on your commitments please.

Chris

#4 ·
It sure as heck beats what this guy (referencing myself with my first retriever) had in 1987 though!

Pirated DVD sales as a moneymaking scam can't be tolerated here.

If you are buying instructional material on the classifieds, I'd suggest you verify that it is legit before you commit. I'd also offer that if you pay by PayPal, you probably have a valid dispute. Speaking of which, our culprit was to have credited back all of the buyers who were scammed. Hopefully that happened.

Chris

#3 ·
I refuse to ever buy any bootleg stuff including DVD's. I also won't buy stuff that is "hot", not hard to find in NYC. I also won't copy stuff for anybody. Just my ethics.

#5 ·
Let the buyer beware also comes into play Chris. If the going rate for a particular DVD is $80-$100 and someone comes along offering it for substantially less, that should raise a red flag. (Don't know what the case was here).

It takes two to make a deal. Not defending the duplicitous seller, but if something sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

#6 ·
Let the buyer beware also comes into play Chris. If the going rate for a particular DVD is $80-$100 and someone comes along offering it for substantially less, that should raise a red flag. (Don't know what the case was here).

It takes two to make a deal. Not defending the duplicitous seller, but if something sounds too good to be true, it usually is.
And a corrollary to that is that if you come up with a scam/shortcut to make money the "easy way", you'll likely not get too far before you realize you stepped in the wrong mess.

#9 ·
People are just people

I had a DVD listed for sale a little while back, an individual contacted me about buying it, we exchanged all the needed information and I waited for the check in the mail (I know one of the 3) over a week later (after turning down 2 other buyers) I get a PM saying sorry dude I got it from a friend.

Some are better than others some are not.

#10 ·
I can't believe I read this here.

FYI.. there are a lot of DVD-blu ray ripping programs out there, some are even put out by the companies that make the discs. Many of these programs encrypt the IP address of the computer that ripped the disk and the address of the computer that burned the disk into the newly printed media...Some of these programs can even send out your info to the owners of the rights of what you are copying.

It's one thing to make a back up copy of something and another to sell copies, both are crimes with DVD-blu rays. Chris Atkinson's admonishments might be the least of your worries.

#15 ·
Best solution, if you get such a deal contact the local FBI office and answer their questions and followup. If it isn't worth the trouble then the problem is established as buyer and seller.

#17 ·
I bought one one time and when it arrived it looked like a ripped off copy. I sent it back to the fellow and contacted him he reasured me that that is how it came to him from the sales company. I told him if that was the case he should be questioning them. He gave me my money back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.