The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If You could spend ten days training with

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    Yup, I wasn't particularly concerned with the two right hand blinds as they have fairly square re-entries and I should know fairly soon if they hit the water or not. The left left hand blind is more problematic. I would like someone knowledgeable out there somewhere he could see with a radio to let me know what the dog is doing. That one isn't for young dogs but I've got two FC's that should know when given a choice they should get wet.
    I have some places where I do multiple in and outs and I lose sight of my dog for a time. I think of it as a leap of faith when he jumps off the land into the water that he will hold his line if I see him turn as he jumps I know I'm in trouble. If he shows me he's wanting to angle off to one side before he jumps in I'll stop him and reenforce the line with a cast but I don't like to stop him and cast him off the land if I don't have to because I don't want to break his momentum.
    Last edited by Scott Parker; 03-10-2013 at 06:57 PM.
    HRCH Dallys Wild Willow SH Born 11-06-97 Left Us 1-30-12 will always be in my thoughts RIP Willow

Bon if it was me on the first day I'd let Lance do the setups to run and let him evaluate me and my dog so he could help me figure out what I needed to work on the most. Is he going to train with you every day or are you on your own?
    HRCH Dallys Wild Willow SH Born 11-06-97 Left Us 1-30-12 will always be in my thoughts RIP Willow

I will see Pete next week again to train. That pup is still a fireball. She ran some nice marks today and carries a mallard like a big dog.

Dawn
    mostlygold
    Terrill's Mr Butch CDX TT; Terrill's Adalay CD TD; Goldtraks Once 'n Luv with Amy CD MH WCX; Goldtraks Opening Day; Highlands Split Image MH WCX **; Karousel's Goldtrak Maguire JH WCX; Highlands On A Dare CD MH WCX **; MHR HRCH Adirondac Bustd at the Bordr UD MH AXP AJP WCX CCA VCX CL3 PKII PDI; Mostlygold's On the Mark CL3 PJII PKI; HR WR Adirondac Mountain Renegade CDX MH WCX CCA VC

We don't stop playing because we've grown old, we grow old because we've stopped playing.

Howard I was out throwing for that little fireball. You know she's been on Lardy's truck for 5 months. (Even though she is only 4 months). Woow she's nice. Pete is smiling inside but won't show it. He'll just says she's okay. I asked him is it true she'll be running the open come spring his answer "after she wins the Derby."
    Gentle in what you do. Firm in how you do it.

CH SILVERCREEK MURRAY SAMUEL (MURRAY) WDQ CGC MH *** 2/16/00 - 12/26/12
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE (LARRY son of Murray) WDQ MH ***
    LPK DELAWARE RIVER WHISPERING COVE **(SAVAGE SAM son of FC Chester MH)
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE JAY ** ( Larry's son and Murray's grandson)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Parker View Post
    Bon if it was me on the first day I'd let Lance do the setups to run and let him evaluate me and my dog so he could help me figure out what I needed to work on the most. Is he going to train with you every day or are you on your own?
    Rest assured you will work on Lanse's schedule - been there, done that . It makes it nice as all tests will have something in them. You have to be stupid to go to someone's home grounds & believe you can add much. Just train the dog.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

I'd spend my 10 with Bert Carlson. Unfortunately, all I get to do is talk about how Swedish Pine Tar paint will keep wood lasting a coupla hundred years while bouncing around on a Genie lift........Did get a Dr. Lundy story and some advice about training set ups. Otherwise, here's your power bill kid....

If I could spend 10 days training with Mr Lanse Brown I wouldn't give two hoots what my dogs needed. They could veg on the truck all week. I would mainly be interested in learning what the heck Lanse does with his dogs.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    If I could spend 10 days training with Mr Lanse Brown I wouldn't give two hoots what my dogs needed. They could veg on the truck all week. I would mainly be interested in learning what the heck Lanse does with his dogs.
    I bet there'd be lots and lots of stories mixed in with the dog work too.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post

Rest assured you will work on Lanse's schedule - been there, done that . It makes it nice as all tests will have something in them. You have to be stupid to go to someone's home grounds & believe you can add much. Just train the dog.
    Had no illusions of anything else, the only thing I get control over is what I cook he and Jimmie for dinner,
    In the sake of full disclosure I have been around Lanse long enough to know how he wants things done, what I had hoped for was some input from some newbies that have asked me from time to time if Lanse would take the time to train with them

My general response is similar to the one Tim Springer sent me, if you watch how Lanse interacts with his dogs one would learn a ton,he is also good about explaining his rationale behind his set up, I am there for comedic relief and for the fact it's something I had promised myself I would always do before it's too late
    I don't expect to find many answers because I am not exactly asking too many questions, I know what Brig can do and there will be little to no tinkering done,strictly a tune up not an overhaul
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Bon, I missed the Lanse part of the question. Missed, thought it was a general question.....Lanse gave me some advice about how to run a test at Bob Peppers Retriever Grounds. I think it was good advice. I suppose that Lanse's advice wasn't all that good for me that day. I was shooting the fliers and just waiting to go relieve the gunner. It was a good persective and I appreciated the gesture of good sportsman ship on his part.