The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If You could spend ten days training with

To remove ALL doubt - I have always endorsed Rex 's philosophy " my door is always open,I have no secrets" . All I care to do is what Augie and Louise did for Dana and myself. Encourage people who actually are committed to learning and care more about their dogs 1 st then the ribbons. Vacations Glacier National Park or for those more liberal Alabama has the Southern Legal Poverty Association, Selma, Rosa Parks and an average of 4 homicides a week in metropolitan areas. Something for anyone's political bent. I am Libertarian. And Episcopal and if we have different beliefs WE DO NOT VENTURE TO THOSE SUBJECTS! It is about your dog and your commitment. If you are an Internet Field Champion PLEASE STAY HOME! Otherwise come on down.( with apologizes to Bob Barker) ..

If I ever had that opportunity, I would ask Lanse to critique me as a trainer/handler and help me fill the holes in my training/handling techniques.

In earnest..................
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    If I could spend 10 days training with Mr Lanse Brown I wouldn't give two hoots what my dogs needed. They could veg on the truck all week. I would mainly be interested in learning what the heck Lanse does with his dogs.
    This, and hoping that at some point I could get up the temerity to actually get my dog out (i.e., have guts enough to handle my dog) in front of Lanse. It would probably overwhelm me to just sit, watch, and listen as he worked his dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by RookieTrainer View Post
    This, and hoping that at some point I could get up the temerity to actually get my dog out (i.e., have guts enough to handle my dog) in front of Lanse. It would probably overwhelm me to just sit, watch, and listen as he worked his dogs.
    Over the close to 50 years Lanse has been playing dogs I'm sure he, like many, have seen their share of acts that some would qualify as an attempt to be the handler. Everyone has to start somewhere, starting in front of someone who knows something is a definite benefit. On occasion the critique can be brutal, but sincere.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Lanse has great advise, great stories and a big heart. Hope to see that rock shop in Pendroy someday when I am well again.
    Where am I going and why am I in this handbasket?
    www.northmountainretrievers.com

i think in ten days with lanse,

you will learn the importance of teaching. you will learn the value of properly timed and appropriate praise. you will be encouraged to be ever learning to "read" your dog. you will witness how critical the bond between the amatuer owner/handler's and his dogs is to success. you will be made keenly aware of all of the types of pressure we put on our dogs and the potential future outcomes of these pressures. you will be taught about the whys, whens, wheres and hows and rare usage of "fair corrections".

you will run a nice setup or drill. then you do the same thing the second hour you are there!

headed back to banks in a couple of weeks! btw scott.......we all know lanse aint gonna set up no blind where he can't see the dog!
    john mccallie

Mr Brown sounds like a wonderful mentor and it would be a worthwhile trip out to MT. ( visit friends as a bonus )

But if I could only spend 10 days with one person, I would opt for Jim Pickering.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Really, Jim Pickering? Of all the great retriever trainers you would pick Jim? Nothing against Jim.

Lanse should get a kick out of that one

Quote Originally Posted by rboudet View Post
    Really, Jim Pickering? Of all the great retriever trainers you would pick Jim? Nothing against Jim.

His success with Goldens, would for me, be a great benefit. The question was train for 10 days with one person.. For me, given his backround and original dog of choice, would maximize my learning experience, IMO.

And he didn't do to bad with his only lab.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Quote Originally Posted by rboudet View Post

From what I know of the posters on this thread most could gain a lot of knowledge from many, but not all, in this sport who have enjoyed considerable success at the FT level. Jim Pickering has been very successful with goldens, that's deserves multiple kudo's as there is a limited gene pool from which to draw prospects.

Most here are in the elementary stage, the successful FT folks are in the Masters & PHD stage. Many subtle differences. Lanse, PHD knows that .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!