RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

If You could spend ten days training with

7K views 31 replies 18 participants last post by  mjh345 
#1 ·
I seem to get a few inquiries about people wanting to train with Lanse at the Alabama HQ or the summer place in MT...contrary to popular opinion I am not his booking agent

But since I will be taking some time off this spring, there is a strong possibility that I will spend those days training dogs up in Pendroy, hopefully culminating in running a trial at the same venue that Lanse frequents and the go back to the rat race

So my question is this : if you could spend ten days training with Lanse, what would you want to work on ? in Montana the Pendroy property known as "Rerun" has big(make that huge) rolling hillsides, along with ideal flat fields manicured with just the right height grasses to hide a bird..

The water is a succession of three ponds that can be run individually with technical type setups or as a combination...

Lanse has the help in the form of hired birdboys and seems to have a good supply of ducks and pheasants

the place is not the end all do all but you would be hard pressed to find many that are better, and as they say the price is right

See less See more
#2 ·
Helping my dog stay confident with ling water entries, angle entries and such. We just don't have that type of grounds here so we very rarely get to work with it. Also holding line along rolling hills terrain.

I'm a long way from Montana, but my avatar dogs brother trained in that area. His name was Cody and he was owned by Steve Low

Dawn

#3 ·
I'd be working on what the dogs need. On land and water like that I know I'd be working on long outs.

Here's a three-peat into the wind casting drill I might do.

#5 ·
I'd be working on what the dogs need. On land and water like that I know I'd be working on long outs.

Here's a three-peat into the wind casting drill I might do.

Kind of what I had planned on doing,I will have Brig with me and he is a touch rusty...but then so am I....actually hoping Lanse gives me a shot running the gals (at least in training) have a soft spot for Sophie,

#4 ·
Hi Howard
I was training today with Pete Plourde, Frenchy and his new pup Ginny. I believe you have a littermate to Frenchy

Dawn

#6 ·
Tell Pete, "Hello."

My Missy is a littermate to Frenchy. Matter of fact, except for an accident of a virus, bacteria, or puppy getting into something, Frenchy would be mine and Missy would be Pete's.

I didn't know what he named his new pup. Ginny is out of my bitch Missy. Hope she's doing well. She was a little fireball at 8 weeks.

#7 ·
ive been lucky enough to have trained on lanses place in banks ,al and very lucky that he has actually spent a great deal of his time helping me and my pup out .the grounds are truly amazing .you really cant ask for anything else his place has it all .lanse has been very good to me and my pup.when i first started training we looked like too drunks dancing as lanse would say but now after several visits with lanse we are starting to get this game figured out .he got me started in training and ill always be indebt to him for that .a very respected man in my book and i will always be thankful for what hes done for me and my pup

#9 ·
Yup, I wasn't particularly concerned with the two right hand blinds as they have fairly square re-entries and I should know fairly soon if they hit the water or not. The left left hand blind is more problematic. I would like someone knowledgeable out there somewhere he could see with a radio to let me know what the dog is doing. That one isn't for young dogs but I've got two FC's that should know when given a choice they should get wet.

#10 ·
Nice water. I would work on what my dogs need, casting off points and with one dog get wet and stay wet. I would just like the opportunity to train with someone that has had great success with lots of knowledge. I would enjoy just soaking up all I could in 10 days.

Russell

#12 ·
Bon if it was me on the first day I'd let Lance do the setups to run and let him evaluate me and my dog so he could help me figure out what I needed to work on the most. Is he going to train with you every day or are you on your own?

#15 ·
Rest assured you will work on Lanse's schedule - been there, done that :cool:. It makes it nice as all tests will have something in them. You have to be stupid to go to someone's home grounds & believe you can add much. Just train the dog.

#13 ·
I will see Pete next week again to train. That pup is still a fireball. She ran some nice marks today and carries a mallard like a big dog.

Dawn

#14 ·
Howard I was out throwing for that little fireball. You know she's been on Lardy's truck for 5 months. (Even though she is only 4 months). Woow she's nice. Pete is smiling inside but won't show it. He'll just says she's okay. I asked him is it true she'll be running the open come spring his answer "after she wins the Derby."

#16 ·
I'd spend my 10 with Bert Carlson. Unfortunately, all I get to do is talk about how Swedish Pine Tar paint will keep wood lasting a coupla hundred years while bouncing around on a Genie lift........Did get a Dr. Lundy story and some advice about training set ups. Otherwise, here's your power bill kid....

#17 ·
If I could spend 10 days training with Mr Lanse Brown I wouldn't give two hoots what my dogs needed. They could veg on the truck all week. I would mainly be interested in learning what the heck Lanse does with his dogs.

#18 ·
I bet there'd be lots and lots of stories mixed in with the dog work too. ;)

#20 ·
Bon, I missed the Lanse part of the question. Missed, thought it was a general question.....Lanse gave me some advice about how to run a test at Bob Peppers Retriever Grounds. I think it was good advice. I suppose that Lanse's advice wasn't all that good for me that day. I was shooting the fliers and just waiting to go relieve the gunner. :) It was a good persective and I appreciated the gesture of good sportsman ship on his part.

#21 ·
To remove ALL doubt - I have always endorsed Rex 's philosophy " my door is always open,I have no secrets" . All I care to do is what Augie and Louise did for Dana and myself. Encourage people who actually are committed to learning and care more about their dogs 1 st then the ribbons. Vacations Glacier National Park or for those more liberal Alabama has the Southern Legal Poverty Association, Selma, Rosa Parks and an average of 4 homicides a week in metropolitan areas. Something for anyone's political bent. I am Libertarian. And Episcopal and if we have different beliefs WE DO NOT VENTURE TO THOSE SUBJECTS! It is about your dog and your commitment. If you are an Internet Field Champion PLEASE STAY HOME! Otherwise come on down.( with apologizes to Bob Barker) ..

#22 ·
If I ever had that opportunity, I would ask Lanse to critique me as a trainer/handler and help me fill the holes in my training/handling techniques.

In earnest..................

#26 ·
i think in ten days with lanse,

you will learn the importance of teaching. you will learn the value of properly timed and appropriate praise. you will be encouraged to be ever learning to "read" your dog. you will witness how critical the bond between the amatuer owner/handler's and his dogs is to success. you will be made keenly aware of all of the types of pressure we put on our dogs and the potential future outcomes of these pressures. you will be taught about the whys, whens, wheres and hows and rare usage of "fair corrections".

you will run a nice setup or drill. then you do the same thing the second hour you are there!;-)

headed back to banks in a couple of weeks! btw scott.......we all know lanse aint gonna set up no blind where he can't see the dog!;-)

#29 ·
Really, Jim Pickering? Of all the great retriever trainers you would pick Jim? Nothing against Jim.

Lanse should get a kick out of that one
His success with Goldens, would for me, be a great benefit. The question was train for 10 days with one person.. For me, given his backround and original dog of choice, would maximize my learning experience, IMO.

And he didn't do to bad with his only lab.

#32 ·
If you did get a chance to spend 1, or 10 days with Lanse my advice would be to LISTEN and LEARN. If you have an open mind you will have an enjoyable, invaluable learning experience. You'd be hard pressed to find a better doggie experience.

For those of you that act as if this would be a pipe dream, I can assure you that is not the case. Lance, like Dennis Bath, is one of the few legends of the game who truly do more than pay lip service to the noble concept of "pay it forward" Lanse regularily reaches out to Amateur newcomers to the doggie games freely offering advice, encouragement and resources.

I was running my pups in Derby at the triple DQ at the Spillway in La When I got back into the doggie games a few years ago. Due to confusion at the time with competing online entry services I didn't get entered in one of the Derbies. As luck would have it that was the Derby Lanse was judging. Out of the blue, Lanse sent me a personal note & called me inviting me to come down South early to train with him & use my pups as set up dogs for his tests. My pups and I had a great time, and I learned a lot in that short time. I have since had a standing invitation to call him and come train with him at either his winter training grounds in Alabama, or his home grounds in Montana. This is not an unusual gesture by Lanse. I have frequently seen him similarily reach out to other FT AMATEUR newcomers.

I doubt that there is a more intelligent well read person in the doggy games on a wide range of subjects. However there is nothing intimidating about Lanse, his demeanor is as common as an old boot. He is very approachable, and there is no Ivy League intellectual snobbery about him.

I am always gladdened when Lanse is running the same trial as I am. He is one of the people that I look forward to bantering with{ about an eclectic range of subjects }that make the game more enjoyable for me. That is by no means a universal opinion of all competitors, particularily some of the "muckety mucks". Lanse rubs some the wrong way. He is quite opinionated, and speaks his mind; nor is he into ass kissing. I like that quality in a person: some don't. I would guess that even if you found yourself on the opposite side of an issue with Lanse that you would feel his mind may be in the wrong place you would never doubt that his heart was. He truly loves and respects the dogs and the sport.

Lanse has a prefference for female dogs. He had a singleton male puppy out of his last litter. He is successfully training that pup, In spite of his female preferrence and the fact that this pup only has one eye and has lost its tail. He has a great respect for all his dogs. If I were to be reincarnated as a Labrador Retriever I would want Lanse to adopt me. That is a high compliment in my world. There arent very many Field Trialers I could say that about.

If you get the opportunity to spend time with Lanse, JUMP AT IT!!!
ENJOY

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.