The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: New problem

Default New problem

I have a 14 month old YLM who hunted with great success this past season. He has recently started to not come back on retrieves. His desire is still there and he runs hard off the line after the bumper, but when he gets to it he runs off to other areas of the yard and does not want to come back to heel. This is a very recent development and he has always returned well. Today, after a couple of bad retrieves, I put him on a long line and collar. When he knows I am going to enforce him coming back, he comes back to heel and delivers to hand very well. He has recently been through "hold" training to deliver to hand and not drop birds/bumpers at my feet. I am not sure what is causing this problem or what I should do about it. He is very very good on his obedience on leash, but has not been through collar conditioning with the e-collar. I was actually getting ready to begin training him on the collar, but have not yet. My first thought was to "go back to basics" and make him return properly every time, but I am not sure where to go from here. Any ideas?Thanks in advance,American Ace

Sounds like typical teen age behavior to me.

If you're planning on collar conditioning the dog anyway, which it sounds like you are, conditioning to "here" would be my next step based on what you've said.
    Rick Curtis ~ Currently in Ontario, CA by way of Spokane, WA and Northern CA.

Little Man Caught It On The River SH ~ "Ace"

Handlers Handle, Dogs Dog, Judges Judge

"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart."
    ~Rex Carr

This could be part of a reaction to the "hold" training you've been doing. Suddenly there's some pressure related to you and a retrieve.

Continue training. Is there a reason you haven't gone into force fetch and collar conditioning?
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Howard, No, there is no real reason. He is my first dog to train and I am just now getting to it. It took me longer than it should have, but I am still learning.

Rick, I was wondering if it wasn't him just having an attitude problem or something like that. I definitely will be collar conditioning to "here" as soon as possible.

Thanks,

American Ace

Quote Originally Posted by American Ace View Post
    I have a 14 month old YLM who hunted with great success this past season. He has recently started to not come back on retrieves. His desire is still there and he runs hard off the line after the bumper, but when he gets to it he runs off to other areas of the yard and does not want to come back to heel. This is a very recent development and he has always returned well. Today, after a couple of bad retrieves, I put him on a long line and collar. When he knows I am going to enforce him coming back, he comes back to heel and delivers to hand very well. He has recently been through "hold" training to deliver to hand and not drop birds/bumpers at my feet. I am not sure what is causing this problem or what I should do about it. He is very very good on his obedience on leash, but has not been through collar conditioning with the e-collar. I was actually getting ready to begin training him on the collar, but have not yet. My first thought was to "go back to basics" and make him return properly every time, but I am not sure where to go from here. Any ideas?Thanks in advance,American Ace
    In my opinion ,you answered your own question in the bolded sentence. Consistent standards are needed. You should always be ready to enforce the here command (once it is taught and understood ),whether it be with a rope or collar,depends on the level you are at in training.
    You say that he is very good on OB when on a leash ,then run his marks with a short rope attached to him.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Quote Originally Posted by American Ace View Post
    Sometimes a pup will do this because you are taking the bumper from him as soon as he returns to heel. Get the rope on the pup, throw the bumper, praise him when he comes to heel, and let him hold onto the bumper. Walk him around with it and give him lots of praise. You will also be practicing his hold this way. Also watch your body language---don't look like you are going to take the bumper away from him.

We sometimes inadvertently do things that discourage a pup from returning to us. I think that taking the bumper immediately from the pup is one of those things.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."