The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home Again

Default Home Again

Do you find this misleading? How many people fall for it?

_____ís annual membership in the HomeAgain Pet Recovery Service expired. For only $17.99, you can reactivate _____ís annual membership and rest assured that _____ is protected with a comprehensive package of safety and wellness coverage.
    Tom Dorroh

VERY misleading. I tell my puppy buyers to register with AKC even though it is a Home Again chip.

Meredith

My dogs are chipped but I dont register them but often thought I should. Why not? My dogs are extremely secure and ALMOST never is there a chance that I would loose one but if I did and she was picked up by animal control how would they know who owned that dog by the chip number?

Quote Originally Posted by mwk56 View Post
    VERY misleading. I tell my puppy buyers to register with AKC even though it is a Home Again chip.

Meredith

You can do that? do they not charge a fee?

You fill out the form at AKC CARR page with the pup's chip number and pay the AKC fee which is a one-time fee.

Meredith

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas D View Post
    Do you find this misleading? How many people fall for it?

_____’s annual membership in the HomeAgain Pet Recovery Service expired. For only $17.99, you can reactivate _____’s annual membership and rest assured that _____ is protected with a comprehensive package of safety and wellness coverage.
    Can you explain what is misleading about it?
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

My pups all go home microchipped. I give them the AKC CAR info, easy to register the chip and pup at the same time. Doesn't matter what brand of chip, AKC will register any. It's a one-time fee, which Home Again used to be too until some marketing genius sold them on an annual thing. If the chip isn't registered in the owner's name, then you make the job of the finder of a lost dog that much harder. I've had a few be tracked to me because I was the buyer of the chip, then I have to find the chip number in my records, get the owner info, etc, which can be a time delay for a dog sitting in a pound, which also may be understaffed and not willing/able to continue trying to track down the owner. I've only used Home Again or the AKC chips and the vendors I use keep a record of where their chips are sold, I have no idea if others do so, if vets can track a chip number they've installed, etc, so spend the $15-20 and a few minutes and register the chip. Cheaping out on some of these little things with everything else we put into our dogs makes no sense to me at all.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

Senior Member Mike Peters-labguy23's Avatar

The extra yearly fee for Homeagain is just here extra service isn't it. I think your owner info is always on file if I remember correctly.
    Mike Peters

I agree with Kim, register it with the manufacturer as well...that's who the finders will call if they don't have the AKC tag on them (like mine would be since they almost never wear collars). I've had two calls from manufacturer (since I buy direct) to locate puppy owners. I know at least one of the "retailers" doesn't report it back to AVID after the chip is sold...I'd prefer not to have the pup "lost in cyberspace" because it was never transferred with the manufacturer, at least with me buying direct, I can usually put them together within a few hours. Another bonus, IF I can't locate the owner, I can pick up the pup to keep it from going into the shelter system since the microchip is in my name. I'd "rather" it go back to the owner (as long as it's been well taken care of and it's just an "oops"), but I also don't want them going into the shelter system if at all possible.
    High Tess JH
    Cedar Swamp's Linden JH
    Cedar Swamp's Cuttin a Rug
    Cedar Swamp's Holy Terror JH (3 SH passes)
    Blackfoot's Mr Independence at Cedar Swamp JH
    Cedar Swamp's Angel in Disguise
    Cedar Swamp's Test Pilot
    Cedar Swamp's Bonanza
    Cedar Swamp's Twisted Sister

Others have also graced our hearts...gone not forgotten.
    RC Buckshot of Seven Hickories MH
    Ceader Swamp's Deuces Wild SH
    Fallen Timber's Second Chance MH
    Ceader Swamp's Mac Millett SH
    and several others...

Mike, you're correct. It's supposed to pay for flyers and them mailing them to the vets/shelters in a radius around the place of it being lost.
    High Tess JH
    Cedar Swamp's Linden JH
    Cedar Swamp's Cuttin a Rug
    Cedar Swamp's Holy Terror JH (3 SH passes)
    Blackfoot's Mr Independence at Cedar Swamp JH
    Cedar Swamp's Angel in Disguise
    Cedar Swamp's Test Pilot
    Cedar Swamp's Bonanza
    Cedar Swamp's Twisted Sister

Others have also graced our hearts...gone not forgotten.
    RC Buckshot of Seven Hickories MH
    Ceader Swamp's Deuces Wild SH
    Fallen Timber's Second Chance MH
    Ceader Swamp's Mac Millett SH
    and several others...