The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Goose Recipe

Default Goose Recipe

I have a freezer full of goose breasts. I have a brine that I created and smoke my geese in my Masterbuilt smoker. I also make jerky as well. All are GREAT! Any other ideas for cooking the gander? Thanks in advance.

do an rtf search for goose,
    On a Stick!
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

I make Goose Breast Pate using sherry port, currants, apples, onions and sage. It is to die for. I make it up at Christmas, Easter, and other special occasions and gift to all my friends. There can be quite the frenzy for it.

The other thing that I do is marinate a breast in a soy based marinade. Then I BBQ it to medium rare/rare. Cut it up real thin and and lay it over crostini with a hot mustard and some tapenade. Serve it hot or cold.

I know this all sounds rather chique but both methods are dead easy and I find that friends who claim they don't like goose love these two recipes.
    Jill and the Tealgrove Retrievers
    Meg - FTCH Elmingo's Prime Suspect MH
    Jett - Eslana Tealgrove Jet Set MH, Can/Am WCX, CD
    Porter - CH Skylon News Report
    Logan - Sherhaven's Wee Highland Fling June 25, 1997 - January 25, 2010
    Kinsey - Rimfire's Kinsey JH WC March 1994 - October 2007

My favorite thing to do with geese is just grind it up and make jerky or snack sticks. I usually just save up meat until I have 10 or 15 pounds then run a batch. Goose snack sticks with high-temp pepper jack cheese are phenomenal!

Another favorite of mine is simple shredded BBQ goose. I'll cook 2 or 3 breasts in a crock pot with beef bouillon for 6 or 7 hours on low, then drain, shred the meat, and mix in your favorite BBQ sauce. Add a slice of cheese and there you have it.

Goose poppers or skewers on the grill can be good, too... but you have to be really careful not to overcook it. I prefer doing jerky or BBQ because there's more room for error. lol

I make goose parmesan which is very good. Cut breast into 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch thick cutlets. You can usually get 3 cutlets out of 1 breast. 6 to nine cutlets will be enough for your average deep sided baking dish or aluminum throw away. Put cutlets in a pot and and thoroughly flush as much blood out of them as possible. I'll sometimes take the pot outside and put the garden hose in it and let it run for a half hour to an hour. Stirring up the meat with your hands occasionally will help move the meat around and get the most blood out. You'll notice the meat go from it's original dark red to a more faded pinkish color. That's when they're ready. Dry the cutlets with a towel and place on a cutting board. Pound out the cutlets with a meat tenderizing mallet / Dip in egg wash / cover completely in Italian bread crumbs and shallow fry in a frying pan. Get out your baking dish or aluminum pan. Pour enough of your favorite spaghetti sauce in the bottom so that you can spread it out with a spoon and the bottom is covered in a nice layer of sauce. Place fried cutlets evenly in the bottom of the pan.Pour some spaghetti sauce over the cutlets and cover with a generous layer of mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle a little oregano over the top of the cheese for taste. Heat your oven to 350 degrees and cook for about an hour to an hour and a half until the cheese is melted and starts to get brown and crunchy is spots. Serve with a nice garden salad and some good Italian bread or garlic bread. Enjoy!

Danny
    Last edited by DSO; 03-11-2013 at 09:50 AM.

I'm liking this thread. Any croc pot recipes?

http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...ht=recipe+book

Please see here. There is an RTF recipe book that you can download and print. Some other ideas are in this thread as well.

I've "cheated" and made gumbo in a crockpot and it came out pretty nice.

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

They're good all sorts of ways.

Grilled with jalapeņo, cheese, and bacon.

Stuffed jalapeņos with fine cut goose meat, three cheeses, wrapped in bacon.

Goose chili

Goose stew

Pan fried goose in gravy, served over toast.(great for breakfast)

Chicken fried goose

Plucked goose grilled rare on the pit(specks)

Stir fry goose

Those are my favorite ways to eat them.
    Put that in your pipe and smoke it

Quote Originally Posted by J_Brown View Post
    My favorite thing to do with geese is just grind it up and make jerky or snack sticks. I usually just save up meat until I have 10 or 15 pounds then run a batch. Goose snack sticks with high-temp pepper jack cheese are phenomenal!

Another favorite of mine is simple shredded BBQ goose. I'll cook 2 or 3 breasts in a crock pot with beef bouillon for 6 or 7 hours on low, then drain, shred the meat, and mix in your favorite BBQ sauce. Add a slice of cheese and there you have it.

Goose poppers or skewers on the grill can be good, too... but you have to be really careful not to overcook it. I prefer doing jerky or BBQ because there's more room for error. lol
    I've done this ^^^^^^ also and it is very good. You can substitute water and bouillon and slow cook the meat in black coffee or flat Coke or Pepsi. Just make sure you disregard whatever liquid your cooking it in. That stuff is pretty nasty after cooking for 6 or 7 hrs. Clean out the crock pot / put shredded meat some diced sweet onions and your favorite BBQ sauce in and stir until even. Heat on low until nice and warm and onions are soft. You may have to add a little more BBQ sauce as it cooks. You don't want it to get dry. Get good hard rolls or kaiser rolls from the bakery. Put pulled goose on the roll with a slice of sweet onion and pepper jack or Colby cheese. Coleslaw on the side or even on the sandwich! Chips and a dill pickle. Oh yeah..... and a pillow. You're going to need a nap.
    Last edited by DSO; 03-11-2013 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DSO View Post
    I've done this ^^^^^^ also and it is very good. You can substitute water and bouillon and slow cook the meat in black coffee or flat Coke or Pepsi. Just make sure you disregard whatever liquid your cooking it in. That stuff is pretty nasty after cooking for 6 or 7 hrs. Clean out the crock pot / put shredded meat some diced sweet onions and your favorite BBQ sauce in and stir until even. Heat on low until nice and warm and onions are soft. You may have to add a little more BBQ sauce as it cooks. You don't want it to get dry. Get good hard rolls or kaiser rolls from the bakery. Put pulled goose on the roll with a slice of sweet onion and pepper jack or Colby cheese. Coleslaw on the side or even on the sandwich! Chips and a dill pickle. Oh yeah..... and a pillow. You're going to need a nap.
    Yep! A can of your favorite cola is a great substitute for beef bouillon!