The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Topper weight?

I used to have a four hole Mountain top on my F150, with the dogs, equipment and water we were over the suggested weight for the truck. I did have 10 ply tires but no extra springs. I would go with a 3/4 ton if I was getting another topper.
    I currently have a three hole slide in coming from Ainley that shouldn't be too much for my F150 eco boost.
    Margo Ellis

“Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life.” ~ Annie Oakley
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
    ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

In All Thy Ways Acknowledge Him And He Shall Direct Thy Paths. Proverbs 3:6

Quote Originally Posted by Northernstorm View Post
    Heck yeah you can get away with gas, we have put 10 hole toppers on 1500's and F150's, might have to put an extra leaf spring in. Got a buddy that has a six hole stainless topper on a F150 with the ecoboost and gets awesome fuel economy and plenty of power.

See you this weekend-BRING YOUR A GAME BRO
    What kind in mpg is he getting.

Quote Originally Posted by j towne View Post
    What kind in mpg is he getting.
    I think he said between 15 and 16mpg

Thanks I just called moutain top and they said between 600-800 pounds. I am getting another truck and will eventually be getting a topper. I was just wondering if I could get away with gas but I dont think so.
    Nick, I would recommend getting the diesel, even a 800 lb. topper on a gas truck makes the engine work. The diesel don't even know it's there! Pitboss does have a diesel. Cost to run comes out about the same as gas with diesel prices more than gas but still worth it to get a engine that will run a long time with lots of miles. Best truck I ever had and still have is a F-350 with the 7.3 diesel.

The start of the third quater this year you can get a 3.0 twin turbo Diesel in the Ram 1500 with a 8 speed transmission. They are also putting this same Diesel setup in the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee which will get 31 mpg Hwy.
    Greg Seddon
    CFC HRCH Gunner, Flight Interceptor SH
    Gates Smoky Mountain Treasure QAA

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Seddon View Post
    The start of the third quater this year you can get a 3.0 twin turbo Diesel in the Ram 1500 with a 8 speed transmission. They are also putting this same Diesel setup in the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee which will get 31 mpg Hwy.
    But it's a Dodge! :O
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

Quote Originally Posted by R.T. Haas View Post
    Nick, I would recommend getting the diesel, even a 800 lb. topper on a gas truck makes the engine work. The diesel don't even know it's there! Pitboss does have a diesel. Cost to run comes out about the same as gas with diesel prices more than gas but still worth it to get a engine that will run a long time with lots of miles. Best truck I ever had and still have is a F-350 with the 7.3 diesel.
    I did find a 2001 ford 7.3 crew cab long bed 210k miles in great shape for $10,900. That is the best thing I have found. I cant believe how the late 90 fords are holding their value with that 7.3.
    This is just going to be a hunting and dog training truck. I work in the ghetto's of Baltimore city and dont want to bring it down there.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Seddon View Post
    Thanks but I am not buying new.

Don't forget you are also going to load it with dogs @ 60-100 # each.

I did find a 2001 ford 7.3 crew cab long bed 210k miles in great shape for $10,900. That is the best thing I have found. I cant believe how the late 90 fords are holding their value with that 7.3.
    This is just going to be a hunting and dog training truck. I work in the ghetto's of Baltimore city and dont want to bring it down there.
    Nick, that is the truck to buy. Then I can sell u a topper that will fit it for a very reasonable price.
    Home of CH Shallcross Lake's Chaamp MH RA WDQ CGC
    Shallcross Lake's Little Rascal MH
    Shallcross Lake's Delaware Diva JH
    Four Star Molly MH
    Bob Louie