The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Going to watch a field trial

U know that could have been somebody else!

Quote Originally Posted by blake_mhoona View Post
    met a bunch of good folks and learned alot. you could tell which people had an abundance of water to train on. you could also tell which people didnt pay their own entry fees. i figured some of the pros would handle to the marks and use it as a training scenario rather than call the dog back at the slightest of cheat. i guess in my mind if your gonna take yourself out you might as well handle so they can learn something.
    Someone more experienced will post, but the reason they pick up instead of handle is because it's the dog who needs the lesson and to not be rewarded with a bird by cheating. A lot of these folks have their eye on All Age stakes and really instill a good work ethic in their dogs. They aren't going to throw away all that training by allowing the dog to cheat at a trial. I've seen more than one handler pick up a dog in the Derby or Q that likely still would have placed or even won because it wasn't worth it to have the dog think he was in charge at a trial.

A "No! Here!!" is a tough love lesson that even some of the best dogs need sometimes!!

M
    "You can put pressure on a dog, you canít take it backÖ"

Mitch Patterson '07

MHR Wadin's Katie Lied CD, SH, WCX (11/25/93-1/27/07 Rest Well Kate)
    Brassfire's Brass in Pocket JH, WCX ** (4 Master passes)
    Brassfire's New England Patriot (New Pup!!!)

Seriously tho, Blake u definitely r wanting to learn the game & more about training. There r some good folks on this board & in the area where u live that can give u some pretty good advice (well sometimes)!! I am glad we got to meet & wish u & ur dog the very best .

Whistle, sit, No here, I practice it in training. Nothing more frustrating, then have a dog blow off many whistles, as you try to handle Or have to shut down the trial, go with a four wheeler to pick the dog up. It has happened to me with a FC/AFC more then once. I have judged some nice dogs one a National Amateur Field Champion, the owner/handler chased the dog down about a quarter mile from the running line! That dog had just won the National stake about three months before. There are many reasons for this behavior that could be discussed in another thread, but, not here. They are just dogs is the old many, times used, statements. Others times I have picked dogs up at the line, because of line issues and never let them have a bird, expensive yes, but it isn't all about ribbons, it's just because. Welcome to field trials.
    Earl Dillow

Quote Originally Posted by Criquetpas View Post
    Others times I have picked dogs up at the line, because of line issues and never let them have a bird, expensive yes, but it isn't all about ribbons, it's just because. Welcome to field trials.
    Better to pick up than running a dog who is succeeding in p-ing you off, .Better for you, better for the dog, better for any other dogs you might be running. I've never seen the situation get any better trying to push a dog through the day, usually just gets worst.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 03-18-2013 at 02:52 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by blake_mhoona View Post
    Just noticed my pics writing isnt showing up to well here's better versions

Attachment 11957Attachment 11958Attachment 11959
    Bumping for Derby judging thread. Please view photo #3.

Quote Originally Posted by Fon View Post
    U know that could have been somebody else!
    Do we really need to explain?
    GRHRCH Huntington's Aged T Perfection MH...Colby (FC AFC Roux MH x GMPR Tyra MH)
    HRCH Huntington's All That Melody...Jazz (GRHRCH Boomer x Callie) Momma's Girl
    Huntington's Cool Customer... Chilly (Lefty QAA x Black SH)