The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So how many of you guys do formal obedience, Show and feel that it is important?

Thanks for the additional information on obedience ring vs. field, that's a big help. I am already using "here" for field heeling, it seemed natural to me. We are preparing both dogs for master tests this year: once we got that done I will switch the emphasis to the higher level obedience classes and then move on to agility. I think we could say nothing at all and still get the job done when hunting. Regardless of what we're doing, I get comments all the time from people who are watching us who say "we have a lab at home, but they sure don't know how to do THAT!" Wish more people would train their dogs, I think most people underestimate what the average dog is capable of. My standard response, of course, is that they need to get a chessie, LOL.
    Pam
    HR Roughwater Stacked & Packed, "Babe," MH, CD, RN, CGC, WDQ

For me, obedience is the foundation for life. Trialing is icing on the cake. Ribbons are the candles AND the titles earned make those candles GLOW!!

Obedience is my requirement. Hearing training fulfills my life [I do my own hearing training - I don't send them away]. I take my Lab girls to the field because that is what they were bred to do and since they give me my life I feel that I owe it to them to give them ducks.

As for commands/signals I use some of the same, some different. Depends on the situation as well as the dog herself. Gem-E knows being "under cover" requires certain things - field training & running "naked" means I've somewhat released her to be a "dog". Dogs are smarter than some people give them credit for.

I have several friends here in FL who have field titles as well as obedience titles on the same dog. These same friends have done this on several dogs as well. Go for it. Don't hold back. Enjoy your dogs to the fullest, be it in the field, tracking, agility, obedience and life itself.
    Cheryl and her 4-legged family,

9 yr old OTCH SHR UUD Licking Run Knapps VA Black Gem UDX3 OM2 VER RE JH WC ASCA-UD, hearing dog, "Gem-E" and
    1 yr old Knapp's Virginia Librarian's Choice, future hearing dog, "Book", and

Waiting at the Rainbow Bridge:
    UUD HR Knapp's Virginia Black Jewel UDX RE SH WC FFXOG FFXOP, "Jewel-E", 5/25/1998 - 5/5/2014

Jewel-E & Gem-E aren't my whole life, they've just made my life whole! Now Book, a new "chapter" in the family story.

I come from obedience, I have had two obedience champions and a UD, all labs. Two are from show stock and the other a half and half. I now have a really nice field trial pedigree that will do both, just got his CD with two firsts and a second in three shows this past weekend. He has been doing field and obedience since he was a 8 week old puppy. We will try for his Open title this summer. I am never going back to the show stock, I am having too much fun with all the drive I have now. There are some problems but nothing that makes up for lack of drive and athletic build. The next dog will be doing scent articles early before FTP since he wanted to retrieve all of the articles in the pile until I used things that were unusual to retrieve to slow him down. The dogs quickly figure out the difference from field and an obedience ring. I have had him go out and keep going when outside but that was quickly figured out. I use jump instead of over in directed jumping so no confusion there and if he does, he'll figure it out. My down signal is like a right back but so far he has never done a back on me and he is almost 3. My plans are to have an obedience champion, MH title on him, go to a master national and maybe try a Qual. with him at some point. He is doing some master work now but he knows more than I do just from his good breeding in field so we are learning as fast as I can with a full time job and me with help from knowledgable friends who give their time and expertise unselfishly to a rank amateur. I tell you--- whats good for the sport is you very knowledgable people taking us newbies under your wings and sharing your time and knowledge with us, that's how you are getting more of us into the sport by sharing all that information with us who don't know how to do it but want to so very much. Its made me a pretty good bird thrower also.
    Sara

I do all sorts of dog sports. Field, Obedience, agility, rally, we've even tried dock jumping. They are all fun things to do with your dogs, plus the more you can teach them, the better off they are.
    HR UUD GRACH4 ROC UNJ About Time Ben SH UD RE AX MXJ OF WCX CGC "Ben"
    SHR Ironpaws Black Rock Time To Dream CGC "Kona"
    SHR Ironpaws Westshore Meant To Be CGC "Toby"
    Ironpaws Rags To Riches CGC "Zipp"

Banned

I do pretty much everything but competitive obedience is my first love. When hunt tests first came on the scene, I switched over to mainly focusing on that but as I age and pieces fall off, I've gone back to focusing mainly on obedience. I am about to finish my fourth OTCh; she also has a MH leg and if the old body holds up she'll finish that too. I only dabble in agility these days.

I find that the dogs have no trouble telling the venues apart, so Heel in the ring means with attention, and Heel in the field means "somewhere near my left leg". For directed jumping in Utility, I say Jump a micro-second before my arm starts to come up so they are already thinking Jump rather than Over. For scent discrimination, I've found the best way to deal with dogs that have been taught to not shop the pile in the field is to use Jan DeMello's Around The Clock method - the visual of the squeeze cheese on the article slows them down and gets them to realize this is a different pile with different rules. Some of my dogs I've been able to do field one day and obedience the next, and vice versa; others are not as smart and need more separation but only a week or so, and usually only in the beginning of their careers.

Retrievers are so versatile, I don't know why anyone would do just one thing with them!

I run competitive OB with my boys. They seem to love it and they truly do know the difference. It also gives us a reason to get out and about in the winter time. Scrub earned his CD last fall and I am hoping that Eddie will get his this year. I have also started Rally with them both. The pro I took them to for FF commented on how nice it is not to have to spend time teaching a dog to sit and heel when they start his program. It is probably the only blue ribbons I'll ever see too...
    396243_2465459045282_862051363_n.jpg
    If you have an important point to make, don't try to be subtle or clever. Use a pile driver.

Flyin High in the Passenger Side CD RN CGC - "Scrub"

K&D's Sweet Romancer RN CGC - "Eddie" - newest member of the family.

High Flying Storm Trooper - Trooper (02/25/03 - 07/26/09) - He gave us his all - We miss you big guy...run and play...

I competed for the first time in Novice Rally with both of my girls in February...what a hoot! As my older dog is "just" beginning to show her age, I'm planning on phasing her out of Hunt Tests and spend more time training for Rally and eventually OB. I really do believe Mercy enjoyed the one on one time we spent training for our first Rally outing. Pearl is another story, it it doesn't involve Ducks, she ain't interested!
    My Girls...
    Duckback's Lord Have Mercy, MH 8/07
    Duckback Armbrook's Indigo Pearl, SH 10/10

Love to do obedience during winter. Just training, usually at camp, during the "field" season. Agility was great, too..but since retirement, budget doesn't allow for all..so obedience won out for the off season.
    Choctaw's Piscataquis Sebec UD MH CGC WCX ***(All-Breed AM 2nd)
    UCDX HR SR Sand Dancer's XX MTB Ranger UDT, MH, WCX **
    HR SR Scarlett's Andi O'Malley CD SH OA NAJ CGC (OAJ-2 Placements) 9/16/1995-3/31/2011

I use the same commands in the field as in the ob ring. Dogs certainly know the difference. In the ring she focuses on me. In the field she is looking for the birds. I send her for retrieves on her name for both as well. Even in agility I used a lot of the same commands. I don't want to remember lots of different words.
    Dawn
    Goldtraks Once 'n Luv with Amy CD MH WCX; Goldtraks Opening Day; Highlands Split Image MH WCX **; Karousel's Goldtrak Maguire JH WCX; Highlands On A Dare CD MH WCX **; MHR HRCH Adirondac Bustd at the Bordr UD MH AXP AJP WCX CCA VCX CL3 PKII PDI; Mostlygold's On the Mark CL3 PJII PKI; HRCH WR Adirondac Mountain Renegade CDX MH WCX CCA VC; Adirondac Tracks in the Wilderness

We don't stop playing because we've grown old, we grow old because we've stopped playing.

I also come from an obedience background, and that was why I got the dog I did. I love it.

The dogs definitely know the difference between the two. Case in point: I go directly from my field training group (with marks) to my obedience class. This week, Riot's OB heeling was spot on and he didn't miss any directed jumping. No overlap from the field for him.
    Marie
    "Riot" Topbrass Disturbin' the Peace, Golden Retriever in training
    "Mocha" UUD Mocha, the old mutt, missing her terribly

"To win the game is great
    To play the game is greater
    To love the game is greatest"