The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Searched and took her to the Vet... heat cycle

Default Searched and took her to the Vet... heat cycle

Okay my BLF is supposed to be going in heat. which the vet said she is starting to after doing a vaginal swab and looking at the cells on a slide, I still didn't really get the question answered tho by the vet. and I did try the search function there were just ALOT of threads about heat cycles

Started to see blood drops last friday on the floor only a drop a day till today there were multiple, do I start counting the days she is in heat last friday at the first blood drop or do I start counting today.

And... How much is a progesterone test for you all, I was planning on doing 2 to 3 but they wanted 130 a piece for them and am not so sure now and was thinking of just dropping her off at the studs place for around a week... What would you do? thanks
    Justin E Schneider

Xtreme's 30 Rounds N' 1 Full Maggie SH
    Foundation's One Up the Sleeve - Ace
    Foundation's Peanut Butter Cup - Reece

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail." -- Josh Billings

Some peoples stiffest competition is themselves.--MooseGooser

Banned

Progesterone at my vet is less than $100 for 3 test. You pay for them in groups of 3

Banned

They can get a good idea of heat cycle by looking at a smear but the way the cells look. The cells will change shape. Not a vet but did work for one while in fire academy and paramedic school.

thank you very much
    Justin E Schneider

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail." -- Josh Billings

Start your count from last Friday, day 9 you should have progesterone draw. If you're doing a standing put them together on day 10 if they tie do it again on day 14.

Banned

It's amazing at the range of cost from vet to vet. Mine is $98 for set of 3 test and breed when progesterone is at 5 no matter what day it is. Every dog ovulates at diff times during there cycle.

We go by / I thought it is back up 1 day from the day you first see blood and count that as day 1. So much can very, progesterone is by far the best bet to know for sure! I like to start progesterone around day 8 and then usually every other day until we get the magic number.

Or just go for natural. she will flag when ready and the boys go nuts when she is ready too, again generally speaking. But progestorone really tells the truth as your mileage may very!

I mainly use 2 different vets. 1 is 2 minutes from my house in suburban city with a new building, several vets, and HIGH prices. The other is my favorite country vet, treats farm animals, is 1 hour drive, but 50% cheaper than the close one. I think I pay about $60 for the progest test at my fav country vet !
    Last edited by obx4me; 02-15-2012 at 04:40 PM.

We are lucky here. After the first progesterone test, Phoenix labs gives a 50% rate for each thereafter (same bitch) to encourage folks to follow thru. They even honored the discount when I had to use a 2nd vet last year.

Wow, thank you for all your responses. I am doing a progesterone tommorrow just to see where she is at, I found another guy that charges 60 a time - and fairly quick turnaround on the results.
    Justin E Schneider

Quote Originally Posted by ErinsEdge View Post
    That's wrong too. You breed 2 and 4 days after she reaches 5.
    Yep and TYPICALLY, you do surgical AI 3 days after 5.