The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How much is enough?? (Breeding)

I had one bitch that bred every other day for a week. We were thinking she was "early" (had only been 7 days since I first saw blood, but had to go out of town and it was the only time I had to drop off), we weren't really looking for a tie that day, but they did while we were standing and talking. She whelped total of 11 puppies. The other bitch I bred the "same time", both started the same time, 2nd bitch was bred Friday and Sunday, the end of the same week that the other was bred, only one pup, I think it was a little too early in her cycle. Both were done live cover, no prog test done, but breedings were done pretty much the same times that they had been done on prior heat cycles.

The bitch I just bred, did progesterone testing both cycles she has been bred, first time 3 years ago, she was ready day 10, this time wasn't ready until day 14-16. This one was done live cover, waiting to see how "successful" we were.
    High Tess JH
    Cedar Swamp's Linden JH
    Cedar Swamp's Cuttin a Rug
    Cedar Swamp's Holy Terror JH (3 SH passes)
    Blackfoot's Mr Independence at Cedar Swamp JH
    Cedar Swamp's Angel in Disguise
    Cedar Swamp's Test Pilot
    Cedar Swamp's Bonanza
    Cedar Swamp's Twisted Sister

Others have also graced our hearts...gone not forgotten.
    RC Buckshot of Seven Hickories MH
    Ceader Swamp's Deuces Wild SH
    Fallen Timber's Second Chance MH
    Ceader Swamp's Mac Millett SH
    and several others...

Quote Originally Posted by az hunter View Post
    @ kennel maiden I think that I know all about MY dogs health standards as well as pedigree they are as I stated "MY" dogs. As far as going to the vet to get testing done to see how close she is, I live in a rural part of Arizona and to get to my vets office is about a hour and a half one way that is three hours round trip. Now if you take into consideration a little thing like WORK obligations and by the way I am a correctional officer that works 12 hours per day 6-7 days per week. I just can't leave work when ever I choose just to go take my dog to the vet for blood work. I don't think that my questions were difficult they were broad and very simple to respond to.

Ya but for some reason everyone is down on a guy breeding no matter the pedigree or health checks. It seems like most think only a select few should breed and that's it. Good luck, problems with breeding do happen but there not overly common. Get the two together for happy fun times and I hope you enjoy the ride.
    Last edited by sdnordahl; 03-12-2013 at 12:34 PM.
    Steven

Nordahl's Queen of Spades (Sadie)

Nordahl's Dream in Extreme JH (Dixie)

Wild Meadow Retrievers

I know that when I bred Peyton, I had the two dogs together on three separate occasions over 4 or 5 days. That being said, the first two times I took her over, she was standing ready, but it didn't happen. We then put them together in a more confined area and it took about 2 minutes for them to hook up. The final 2 times, they had it figured out, so it was no problem. Like others have said, let nature take its course if she is ready.

Good luck,

Mark
    Mark, Peyton's Touchdown Pass (JH) and Peyton's Sun-loving Baby Bindi (Troublemaker)

It seems like this quote or something like it ends up in every post to do with breeding... " Have you had the time to make sure all the relevant health tests have been done? (hips/elbows/eyes/CNM/EIC/PRA on both sire and dam) Have you fully researched the pedigrees?"

WHO IS THE BREEDING POLICE?

Quote Originally Posted by az hunter View Post
    @ kennel maiden I think that I know all about MY dogs health standards as well as pedigree they are as I stated "MY" dogs. As far as going to the vet to get testing done to see how close she is, I live in a rural part of Arizona and to get to my vets office is about a hour and a half one way that is three hours round trip. Now if you take into consideration a little thing like WORK obligations and by the way I am a correctional officer that works 12 hours per day 6-7 days per week. I just can't leave work when ever I choose just to go take my dog to the vet for blood work. I don't think that my questions were difficult they were broad and very simple to respond to.
    Ok, why ask for advice then if you don't want to hear it? If you work those long hours 6-7 days a week, I just hope there is someone else on hand to whelp your litter and care for them round the clock as they wean and grow... my point was all of that later stuff is a lot more time consuming, but you already know that and are listening to the bits you want to listen to, so I won't bother with any advice. It's nice when first timers start breeding (we were all there once). But, I know I was jolly glad of all the advice and useful comments I could get when I was in your position, and certainly didn't think I knew it all about MY dogs....

Quote Originally Posted by DropinBack View Post
    It seems like this quote or something like it ends up in every post to do with breeding... " Have you had the time to make sure all the relevant health tests have been done? (hips/elbows/eyes/CNM/EIC/PRA on both sire and dam) Have you fully researched the pedigrees?"

It's just about being responsible I guess? When someone starts their post: "I am new to breeding and would like to know how many times per day is enough...." It does rather ring alarm bells that they haven't got the first clue what they are doing!!!.....

I couldn't agree more!! No one can ask a breeding question without being bombarded with the health questions. Most of the time they don't even answer the question at had and just ask there own.
    Steven

Nordahl's Queen of Spades (Sadie)

Nordahl's Dream in Extreme JH (Dixie)

Wild Meadow Retrievers

Quote Originally Posted by sdnordahl View Post
    I couldn't agree more!! No one can ask a breeding question without being bombarded with the health questions. Most of the time they don't even answer the question at had and just ask there own.
    Okay, so the original question was: "how many times per day is enough?" I DO apologise. ONCE!

I don't understand why everyone is so touchy about health questions. I always thought breeding responsibly was a good thing.....
    Last edited by kennel maiden; 03-12-2013 at 01:14 PM.

az hunter, is there a breeding kennel that is close to you that you can visit? The breeding part is the easy part for any animal. They know what to do and when it is time. I, like kennel maiden, just hope you have time for the results? If you feel you don't have the time or are going to need help, ask the kennel if they would be like a midwife to your litter,take care of shots,dew claws and such, and then pick them up and take them home after they are 7 weeks old. Best of luck!!!

Because many of us give a goshdarn about the dogs, we care how they are bred, taken care of and puppies placed. Does that make us mean, horrible, awful witches, you bet, I'll wear that hat any day of the week. If someone wants to breed and learn how to do the basics, ask away, there are plenty willing to help. The ones who cop an attitude, don't want to actually learn anything, yes, they are going to get questioned. Don't like it, then don't read the thread and don't ask for help on breeding. Go buy some backyard bred pups with no health clearances, continue that wonderful trend. While you're at it, go volunteer at your local shelter or rescue and deal with the consequences firsthand of careless breeders & owners who can't be bothered to spend the time or money to do it responsibly.

To the OP, once every other day while the bitch is willing to stand would be the norm. Any more than that isn't necessary. I hope you do more than throw them together in the yard. Yeah, sure, nature's way and all that, however, dogs and bitches can get hurt in the process. Take the time to supervise the ties.
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 03-12-2013 at 05:51 PM.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs