The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How much is enough?? (Breeding)

Currently middle of the "Great" Plains- Ord NE

Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    Because many of us give a damn about the dogs, we care how they are bred, taken care of and puppies placed. Does that make us mean, horrible, awful bitches, you bet, I'll wear that hat any day of the week. If someone wants to breed and learn how to do the basics, ask away, there are plenty willing to help. The ones who cop an attitude, don't want to actually learn anything, yes, they are going to get questioned. Don't like it, then don't read the thread and don't ask for help on breeding. Go buy some backyard bred pups with no health clearances, continue that wonderful trend. While you're at it, go volunteer at your local shelter or rescue and deal with the consequences firsthand of careless breeders & owners who can't be bothered to spend the time or money to do it responsibly.

To the OP, once every other day while the bitch is willing to stand would be the norm. Any more than that isn't necessary. I hope you do more than throw them together in the yard. Yeah, sure, nature's way and all that, however, dogs and bitches can get hurt in the process. Take the time to supervise the ties.
    I agree ^^^^

Breeder Police on RTF = caring people who are concerned for the dog and the breed's welfare.

They are wonderful people who have, through hard work and many long hours, as well as buckets full of money, that are willing and able to give sound advice to novices who would like to breed a litter for themselves.

They are much maligned by people with attitudes of "they're just dogs!" and "I don't have the ...(time, money, knowledge, patience, ability, etc,)", who ask for advice but really don't want to take any.

The Breeder Police on RTF are well meaning with their advice and time because they have experienced said advice many times over. They have encountered the pitfalls and heartaches, shed the blood, sweat, and tears so often associated with breeding. As such, they give freely of their time and knowledge to novices who are willing to listen and heed their warnings and words of wisdom.

They are frustrated when those that ask for advice turn a blind eye and a deaf ear, yet reply in a negative manner when that advice goes against the novices wishes, as they know that there are innocent lives at stake- both those of the litter, as well as the mother, possibly the stud.

They are concerned for the new potential owners as well. Breeders are the stewards of the Breed, as farmers are to the land that they love. Poor breedings cast a disparaging eye on Breeders as a whole.

The Breed Police on RTF wish that all novices would take the necessary time to fully research the Breed in which they want to produce a litter from. This includes the Breed Standard (your dog does not have to make it in the show ring, but should still look like the breed of dog that you are working with!!), the health issues that ALL breeds have as a part of their genetic make up, as well as the tests that should be performed (who offers them, when they should be done, costs, etc). What is the correct temperament of the breed? You should be familiar with your breeds Purpose. Is it a working type of animal or one that was created strictly for looks/as a pet? If a working type of animal, you should research the type of work the breed was initially designed to perform. Are there venues to "prove" or test these traits (Field Trials, Hunt Tests, etc.) ? You do not have to perform in any of these with your dog, but you should be familiar with them.

The Breed Police would like for the novice to make an appointment with their veterinarian, as well as with an experienced reproductive vet if possible. Not for the dog, but for a frank sit down discussion with you about your goals as a breeder, and how, between the two (or three) of you, that you can meet and exceed those goals, ensuring that you and your vet are on the same page regarding the health and well being of your dog and pups.

The Breed Police on RTF would love to see that you have researched your expectations for your litter. Litters should be bred for a Purpose. One should always try to bred to the highest purpose possible, so that pups that don't quite reach that goal still have some niche to fill. If you are breeding at the lowest possible point, how high do you think your pups could actually rise realistically? What will you do with the pups that don't make even that goal?

They hope that the novice takes their advice on picking the best possible stud for your bitch- which is rarely the most convenient While the stud next door is surely the cheaper and easier route for many, it often does not produce the desired type of pups.

The RTF Breed Police would also recommend that the novice breeder research demand for their pups BEFORE breeding the litter. They hope that you have homes for a number of potential homes (great ones at that!) prior to breeding.

And the # 1 reason that there ARE RTF Breeder Police is: If you are going to do, make, produce, or portray something.....do it correctly, ethically, and humanely the first time. Which, with the RTF Breeder Police's sound advice, you will!!!! Why make the same mistake that your predecessors have already made and learned from?????
    Raina Anderson WWW.FIREHOUSELABS.COM

According to this BMI chart, I am too short !!!

Amen, Raina, well said.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

This RTF Posting could have been so much fun, now it just sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by az hunter View Post
    I am new to breeding and would like to know how many times per day is enough..
    KARMA - The return on your entries will increase the sooner you decide to contribute one of your weekends to be in the judge's chair and judge others who have done the same for you.

>>With respect to your question, just put your dogs together, they will know when the time is right. Nature is a wonderful thing, it's a shame so many people ignore it. <<

Such sage advice.
    Jan and Mike Connolly
    www.docsgoldens.com

Currently middle of the "Great" Plains- Ord NE

Quote Originally Posted by J Connolly View Post
    >>With respect to your question, just put your dogs together, they will know when the time is right. Nature is a wonderful thing, it's a shame so many people ignore it. <<

Such sage advice.
    If dogs have the mental capacity of say, the average 6 yr old, and the average hormonally charged teenager is 10 yrs older then that, and I remember being groped and pawed and slobbered on by said average hormonally charged teenager....than I would say that letting mother nature run its course is highly flawed!!!! You guys are not nearly as suave and skilled as you think you are !!!

There. I did my part to bring the topic back to its regularly scheduled level of maturity.
    Raina Anderson WWW.FIREHOUSELABS.COM

According to this BMI chart, I am too short !!!

Thanks for the advice every 1-2 days. I am going to end this thread now thank you..