The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Why are we still in Afghanistan?

Default Why are we still in Afghanistan?

They don't want us there. It's their country. As far as I can tell they offer very little to the economy. I read an article in the paper about Karzai and I wonder about my question above. Every time it seems an article is written Karzai has nothing good to say about what the USA has done for them.
    I hate rude behavior in a man, won't tolerate it. Captain Woodrow Call

Quote Originally Posted by Wade View Post
    They don't want us there. It's their country. As far as I can tell they offer very little to the economy. I read an article in the paper about Karzai and I wonder about my question above. Every time it seems an article is written Karzai has nothing good to say about what the USA has done for them.
    He's probably scared and fighting for his life right now. We are leaving, he knows it, that country is going to be a huge mess after we're gone and he is trying to appeal to the ones that will have the most power after we are gone. I agree though, screw em, lets get out of there ASAP.
    "The thing I admire about the rat tail is that it takes commitment. It's not like one day you just decide you want one, you have to grow out that bad boy and you have to repeatedly convince the hairdresser to trust you because it's a great idea."

Karzaid is a modern day Ferdinand Marcos, he is a corrupt SOB and has extorted enough money out of the US as did Mushareff....get out now
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

The only explanation is that those with the power to take us out still want is in.
    --Greta Ode
    willing slave to the whims of
    Kerrybrooks Magical Atticus MH
    Coastalight Kiowa Ravenhawk MH

Quote Originally Posted by luvalab View Post
    The only explanation is that those with the power to take us out still want is in.
    Sadly Greta, I believe you hit the nail on the head.
    We are still in Afghanistan for the same reason that Bush started two senseless {unfunded} wars. These senseless unfunded wars helped to turn record budget surpluses under Clinton into ever increasing record deficits under Bush & Obama. On a macro scale these wars have decimated the US economy, on a micro scale they have been VERY good for the military/industrial complex.
    That reason is that the military-industrial complex swings a very big stick in dictating our foreign policy. The fact that what is good for our country and security may be different than what is good for their bottom line is likely a secondary consideration in the world of partisan crony capitalism that exists today

Quote Originally Posted by achiro View Post
    He's probably scared and fighting for his life right now. We are leaving, he knows it, that country is going to be a huge mess after we're gone and he is trying to appeal to the ones that will have the most power after we are gone. I agree though, screw em, lets get out of there ASAP.
    This makes a lot of common sense based on our policy there of announcing the date of departure. Wouldn't anyone with half a brain in their head figure out that they could just wait until the US left, and then make their move unopposed? Karzai would figure that out; and so would those who would be the ones who would take over. So, I agree, achiro, Karzai simply wants to survive.

Whether we should have been there in the first place, and in what capacity, is a separate question from how to withdraw. We saw how badly it went in the withdrawal from Nam. We repeated the same in Iraq. I see no hope that A'stan is going to be any different, so now it doesn't much matter when we leave, the result will be the same.

I'd guess that the admin are somewhat worried about what brining troops home will do to the unemployment #s. Since a lot of troops are Natl Guard in the ME deployments, many of them will now go back into the workforce ... if there are any jobs left for them. If their jobs were kept for them (do employers have to do that), then it would mean that somebody else will be let go as a result of their return. It won't play well for the admin if unemployment is ticking upward going into the mid-terms in 2014.

Makes me think that when Obama made his timetables, he actually believed his own PR that he was just so brilliant that he would be able to fix everything.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.