The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sick Lab, I think...

Default Sick Lab, I think...

Not really sure what is wrong with my 10.5 m/o lab. He seemed fine this morning...went out an did his business like normal, came in and ate like normal. Now this afternoon he seems lethargic, seems like his back end is a little weaker than normal, and he lays down really gingerly (circles about 25x's before plunking down). He also had really bad gas all day. Yesterday morning he threw up, but it was the bile looking stuff...which isn't super uncommon for him. I can push on his stomach, palpate all of his rear joints, and he doesn't bat an eye at it.

Any ideas?
    Thanks,

Erik
    --
    Old Oak's Irish Poet ~ "Teegan"

Sire: Irish FTCH Rockenhart Voyager
    Dam: Old Oak's Ipswich Addie JH

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vigeland View Post
    Not really sure what is wrong with my 10.5 m/o lab. He seemed fine this morning...went out an did his business like normal, came in and ate like normal. Now this afternoon he seems lethargic, seems like his back end is a little weaker than normal, and he lays down really gingerly (circles about 25x's before plunking down). He also had really bad gas all day. Yesterday morning he threw up, but it was the bile looking stuff...which isn't super uncommon for him. I can push on his stomach, palpate all of his rear joints, and he doesn't bat an eye at it.

Any ideas?
    Has he had a bowel movement like normal that you saw? I'd be worried about an obstruction. Could he have eaten something he wasn't supposed to? ie: sock, etc. Does he have a temperature? Will he eat?
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Ditto If he has not had a stool , I would be on my way to a vet
    Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDog View Post
    Has he had a bowel movement like normal that you saw? I'd be worried about an obstruction. Could he have eaten something he wasn't supposed to? ie: sock, etc. Does he have a temperature? Will he eat?
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

He had one this morning, but not since...which isn't abnormal for him. He's really circling quite a bit and then having a hard time getting up. When I take him out he is urinating fine and seems to get around fine out there. Kind of stumped on this one...
    Thanks,

Erik
    --

Sounds like a blockage--I would be on my way to the veterinarian.

Meredidth

I hope your pup is feeling better.

*Update*

Well, I didn't bring him in last night. We had white-out conditions in southern MN last night, so even if the vet would have wanted me to bring him in, I don't think I physically could have.

This morning we got up at our normal time, and he peed and had a normal bowl movement. I feed him some ground up chicken breast mixed with some water for breakfast, and he's been fine. He is getting around great and able to sit and pop up like a normal 10.5 month old lab!!!

Talked to the vet today, and he thinks he may have irritable bowl syndrome. I'm not sure if I agree. He rarely has diarrhea, but he does have some throwing up spells...always the bile stuff...never with food in it. I'm going in to talk with the vet some more. I really don't want to put him on Prednisone if I don't have to. Rather try some of the acid reflux stuff instead.

Thanks for your concerns! It was a LONG night last night (I'm a nervous Nelly!!!)...
    Thanks,

Erik
    --

You should not be putting such a young dog on prednisone. He may have a reflux problem (you mentioned he vomits bile). Easiest thing would be to try him on an acid blocker like Pepcid twice daily and see if that helps. Also go to www.petplace.com and look up a hand out on inflammatory bowel disease. It will give you some good information.

Dawn
    mostlygold
    Terrill's Mr Butch CDX TT; Terrill's Adalay CD TD; Goldtraks Once 'n Luv with Amy CD MH WCX; Goldtraks Opening Day; Highlands Split Image MH WCX **; Karousel's Goldtrak Maguire JH WCX; Highlands On A Dare CD MH WCX **; MHR HRCH Adirondac Bustd at the Bordr UD MH AXP AJP WCX CCA VCX CL3 PKII PDI; Mostlygold's On the Mark CL3 PJII PKI; HR WR Adirondac Mountain Renegade CDX MH WCX CCA VC

We don't stop playing because we've grown old, we grow old because we've stopped playing.

Usually if they are vomiting bile, they have an empty stomach...he's hungry. I have had it happen early in the morning, so I always give bedtime biscuits to help them through the night.

Meredith

Quote Originally Posted by mwk56 View Post
    Usually if they are vomiting bile, they have an empty stomach...he's hungry. I have had it happen early in the morning, so I always give bedtime biscuits to help them through the night.

Meredith
    And that could very well be, but we've tried feeding him a little before bed, and it was hit and miss. It almost seems like it goes in cycles...two weeks fine, a week of on and off again vomit. I am holding off on prednisone for now. I do have him on an acid blocker.
    Thanks,

Erik
    --