The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: Emergency first aid resources for our dogs

Default Emergency first aid resources for our dogs

I just discovered that there are DVDs that try to teach about emergency first aid treatments for dogs. I can't believe it never occurred to me that such things exist!

The other day a training partner, out of the blue (well sorta), loaned me his "Advanced Canine First Aid for Sporting /Outdoor Dogs. Field First Aid for Your Best Friend, Featuring Randy Acker, DVM" DVD. I had heard about his first aid book but not the DVD.

What else is there in this genre that can help us care for our dogs? I have heard of cell phone apps but have not checked them out.

Anyone?
    Renee P

Search "dog first aid" on youtube, and you will find a bunch of stuff. I saw one a while ago that a fireman made for K9 CPR.
    HRCH UR01 CH UNJ WHISKEY CREEK'S DUKE CHASCERI MH
    Cherokee Foothills HRC

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    I just discovered that there are DVDs that try to teach about emergency first aid treatments for dogs. I can't believe it never occurred to me that such things exist!
    I posted this a while back, it's worth watching - not only for the knowledge - but also to see the world's most laid back and compliant Labrador 'demo model'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWiEb...ature=youtu.be

The other suggestion I would offer is to check this website and know where emergency services are available if you're traveling:

http://www.veccs.org/index.php?optio...d=1&Itemid=193

I have old tapes produced by two weeks who had a special interest in racing greyhounds. Crickey even heart worm treatment was included..ewww

Some muscle treatments remain similar to this day. We are lucky with ultrasound, ct, mri...what next for our beloved dogs?
    Field trial labradors, the wind beneath my wings,

sometimes poop under my boots.

I have old tapes produced by two vets who had a special interest in racing greyhounds. Crickey even heart worm treatment was included..ewww

Some muscle treatments remain similar to this day. We are lucky with ultrasound, ct, mri...what next for our beloved dogs?
    Field trial labradors, the wind beneath my wings,

sometimes poop under my boots.

Thanks for the responses!

What I liked about the DVD I mentioned is that it had the goal of trying to prepare dog owners for common emergencies while out in the back country. He showed how to wrap a paw, tape up a tail so that the tape actually stuck, stabilize a broken leg, wrap a bleeding ear, and how to recognize fox tail injuries, snake bites, and bloat as well as what to do if you suspect fox tails, poisoning, bloat etc.

I thought it had a lot of important information that I had never seen all in one place before.
    Renee P

I have these brochures printed out. Mostly worry about the beagles but you never know I guess.

http://gf.nd.gov/hunting/trapping-an...traps-and-dogs

Marissa Everett

Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching?

My biggest worry is barb wire fences...You know...the ones that your dog doesn't see or care. I purchased a staple suture kit for dogs for that reason, and plenty of saline spray wash....My other worry is cattle guards...again the ones that your dog doesn't see or care.
    Last edited by BJGatley; 01-27-2014 at 09:28 PM.