The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 2 birds at once

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    There is no penalty for picking up whisky, when they go out for milk.
    Yeah, but if the dog doesn't return with any ice to pour it over, we're gonna' have a problem

(No mixer allowed either )

If there's enough separation between marks that would keep the dog on a line back on a return, yet, if the dog is making a conscious effort to run completely out of it to pick up a second bumper, then I'm in the camp of those who suggest re-enforcing HERE.

Seems that if the OP began teaching Doubles as Singles first, and then brought them both together as Doubles afterwards, that there "should've" been enough REPS for the dog to not even think about running to another mark after hearing a whistle and a verbal HERE, dunno'.

I give the dog a lot of credit-
    Why pay for the same real-estate twice!
    Dawgs are like Savings Accounts-
    You only get out of 'em what you put into 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by sportlab89 View Post
    she will pick up the long bird first and the on the way back, she will also pick up the other bird, having two birds in her mouth at once. How would this play in a HT.
    Section 9.
    Upon finding the game, a dog shall quickly pick it up and return briskly to its handler. A dog retrieving a decoy shall be graded "0" on Trainability. A dog shall not drop its game on the ground, but distinction shall be made between deliberately dropping a bird, and readjusting a bad hold or losing its grip because of a struggling bird or running over uneven terrain.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Ken Bora

Yes for hunt test rules but what do you expect from your dogs on Merrymeeting Bay or Lake Champlain in the winter? I know that you have Chessies and they can tolerate it but not everyone has Chessies.

Have you been on Great South Bay when it ices, then the tide breaks it up into ice floes? I think I might break hunt test rules.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

Quote Originally Posted by sportlab89 View Post
    I have a friend who is looking to run in HT with his lab.
    Quote Originally Posted by gdgnyc View Post
    Ken Bora

Yes for hunt test rules but what do you expect......
    what I expect while hunting makes no never mind. the OP want to go to a test.
    all I expect while hunting on those cold days is for the Chessie to shake the froze drool and duck blood off of his snout afore thrusting it into my half drunk coffee cup.
    and stop trying to catch the empty hulls kicked out of the shotgun!
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Thanks, Ken, you're right. Rulebook is good.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

I don't think my dog could fit two full grown mallards in her mouth. They have got to be grabbing bits and pieces of both birds right?

Outside of Trials or Tests, it's still a nuisance or potentially so.

Coming back with two dead birds out of deep cover is fine providing you are sure he didn't drop a runner trying to gather the other two in ..... seen that.

Eug
    Thank you, very kind, Mine's a pint.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    Section 9.
    Upon finding the game, a dog shall quickly pick it up and return briskly to its handler. A dog retrieving a decoy shall be graded "0" on Trainability. A dog shall not drop its game on the ground, but distinction shall be made between deliberately dropping a bird, and readjusting a bad hold or losing its grip because of a struggling bird or running over uneven terrain.
    I could make a case that the dog did in fact pick up the bird and returned briskly to the handler, scooping the other duck on his way home, the dog didn't pick up a decoy, drop or readjust his hold. I have a dog that can do that, it has never been an issue as I haven't run marks that are that tight where he goes long first, but it could happen.

Like I said, as a handler I wouldn't risk trying it for fear of being dropped, but as a judge I would have a hard time dropping that dog.

John

Quote Originally Posted by grnhd View Post
    I don't think my dog could fit two full grown mallards in her mouth. They have got to be grabbing bits and pieces of both birds right?

I wish I had a picture of my normal size Golden bringing three full size mallards back, all in his mouth. I don't know if his jaw unhinges like a snake or he's just able to open real wide. Two ducks is not any trouble for him at all. He even retrieved a 23# Tundra Swan once.

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    I wish I had a picture of my normal size Golden bringing three full size mallards back, all in his mouth. I don't know if his jaw unhinges like a snake or he's just able to open real wide. Two ducks is not any trouble for him at all. He even retrieved a 23# Tundra Swan once.
    My dog has retrieved a couple of swans(not at the same time!LOL) but I just cant see getting two big mallards in there. I'd love to see pics of a dog with three mallards crammed in its mouth!