RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Big Words

4K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  JusticeDog 
#1 ·
Thanks to Susan and Dr Ed's sling shot thread I have learned a new Big word; recalcitrant.:D
Must be all that book learnin they have between the JD and DVM or that I am just a dummie.
Anybody else have any big words to decribe dog training or dogs??

Origin of RECALCITRANTLate Latin recalcitrant-, recalcitrans, present participle of recalcitrare to be stubbornly disobedient, from Latin, to kick back, from re- + calcitrare to kick, from calc-, calx heel First Known Use: 1843

#2 ·
Which thread was this? Must of missed it. Should I do a search on sling shot or sh*t slinging?:cool:

#4 ·
Actually, it was ted that used the word recalcitrant first. I must give credit where credit is due. :)

#9 · (Edited)
Not really sure that that one can be "reticent to", one would be "reluctant to", "and reticent about" as in "when questioned by his parents, Johnny was reticent about the source of the beer", for instance.

#6 ·
Thanks Marc. I had stopped reading that one when the vocab lesson was offered. It got interesting again!

#7 ·
most of us are just more familiar with recidivism....

#10 ·
For the record, I NEVER call my dogs recalcitrant. I just call them a$#% wipes. :D I tried to call one recalcitrant this evening when he wouldn't come in out of the yard. It did nothing for him. But when i said, you a$#% wipe, get in here now, or I'm putting a marble on your behind, he came right away. Yep. I think that sling shot thingy and marble can really do the trick. ;)

#23 ·
get in here now, or I'm putting a marble on your behind, he came right away. Yep. I think that sling shot thingy and marble can really do the trick. ;)
U have rubber marbles :confused:.

#11 ·
Even though I only shot China berries AT my dog (and am not too sure that I ever hit him), he knows what the slingshot is and tends to pay a bit more attention if I have it out, although haven't even showed it to him in months. Also heels better when I'm carrying a stick (or any little switch).

#15 ·
The first "S" in Susan should be capitalized as should the "I" in "in".

#18 ·
in my description of the "catapult", i was confident you would consider hand-held and diminutive to be redundant.

would a hand-held catapult not also already be a diminutive catapult? i think the way i said it one would picture a very small sling shot held between the thumb and forefinger. what i described to the reader might not even be capable of shooting a marble. that, and the shift key has always eluded me?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.