The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Help with "HOLD" Command

Default Help with "HOLD" Command

Have 6 month old BFL. Obedience is solid so trying to enter into force fetch. Have been working on hold for almost 2 weeks now with no success !!
    Typical pattern in that you put bumper in mouth and say hold and she spits it out !!
    Tried holding collar and praising with bumper in mouth but spits it out
    Tried tapping under chin - helps a little - but the split second you try to say good girl she spits it out
    Tried holding muzzle and bottom jaw but as soon as you let up she spits it out !!
    Nothing seems to get her to understand hold means hold it !! Any Suggestions ??
    Or maybe go ahead and move on to force fetch ??

Thanks

It might hurt to hold it. Does she have her perminent teeth yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Klotthor View Post
    It might hurt to hold it. Does she have her perminent teeth yet.
    Check the bumper for blood stains.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

She is done teething !! No blood on bumper !!
    Waited till all that was over.
    Just won't hold !!!

You may want to try taking a small step back and try teaching hold with a gloved hand. Have her learn to hold your gloved hand until she does so long enough for you. You can easily control her by having her hold only a few fingers, and with the others you can help keep her muzzel closed on your hand. You can eaisly do this in living room or while watching TV, so it doesnt have to be a "formal lesson" so to speak. This is what I did before moving on to holding a bumper. I would literally be sitting and watching the TV while my dog would sit beside me and hold my gloved hand for up to 5 mins before I would let him release. After doing this, it didn't take much to transfer to a bumper.

Quote Originally Posted by obsessed View Post
    Have 6 month old BFL. Obedience is solid so trying to enter into force fetch. Have been working on hold for almost 2 weeks now with no success !!
    Typical pattern in that you put bumper in mouth and say hold and she spits it out !!
    Tried holding collar and praising with bumper in mouth but spits it out
    Tried tapping under chin - helps a little - but the split second you try to say good girl she spits it out
    Tried holding muzzle and bottom jaw but as soon as you let up she spits it out !!
    Nothing seems to get her to understand hold means hold it !! Any Suggestions ??
    Or maybe go ahead and move on to force fetch ??

Thanks
    I don't know your experience with FF but you probably should have someone experienced at least watching you, especially since you have encountered a problem. One of the pros on the forum might have good input. That being said, here's my take on this.

Dogs are very situational, they pick up on all our body language, and we mistakenly teach unwanted things. You have already established a pattern of spitting out the bumper. I would do the following: use something else (paint roller, dowel, gloved hand), change my form of praise since good girl seems to be a cue to signal that the behavior is over which is why the dog spits out the bumper (try stroking he dog's chest), be very patient, and videotape myself.

I recently worked with a friend of mine on FF because he was having a problem. What I noticed was that his whole demeanor was intimidating from the time he brought the dog to the force table, his gruff voice, his praise sounded like a threat, and his frustration with the project (cursing). I asked him if I could handle the dog. I did some sit, heeling, etc. then up on the force table. When I got the dog to hold, I lavished the praise on the dog---petting and good boy in a soothing voice. The real soothing voice is a hard thing for me to do and is probably hard for many but it did work in this case. We did a couple more and I said session over and the dog and I played a bit. I then made my friend aware of his intimidating manner that was interfering with the process (he is a cop) and since then he has changed. Since then he has had success with FF.

Be patient, don't do too much in one session, follow a program, and take a look at how you are doing things. And if you are still having a problem you better get someone else to help you. The internet advice may not be appropriate for this.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

Try a paint roller.

As I am sure you have been advised, all dogs, like people are different. Motivation to hold varies from dog to dog. I have a seven month old that I am in the midst of the force. She is extremely desirous of retrieving
    and is attempting to fake me out on the hold and other facets of the force fetch. Bounces the bumper in her mouth while holding and by doing so drops it infrequently. Reading the dog it appears she understands the
    hold so I went on to the ear pinch. She definitely understands that procedure and based on progress will, with patience learn to hold the bumper more securely. Over the years I have taken approximately 20 to 25 dogs
    through the yard and each one requires a different touch.

We do not even teach hold. We go straight to force fetch and once we say fetch they have to hold until we say drop. A pro years ago taught my husband to do it this way and it works. As Wayne can tell you, holding the bird is not my problem, releasing at a hunt test is. Wayne good luck with your new pup, hope not as amped up as both of ours are now.