The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Random musing about TBDs, need a bit of feedback

Default Random musing about TBDs, need a bit of feedback

Tick season again.
    Every 6 months I send my boy's blood to MSU's lab for their full tick panel. I do that rather than the in-office test because we are known to have Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever in this area, and the SNAP4DX doesn't check for RMSF. RMSF is a big bad one and scares me.
    Three times it has come back a "low positive" for something. Once for lyme, we re-tested in 4 weeks and it was negative. Once for anaplasmosis, same thing, re-test was negative. And now this latest one, low positive for RMSF. (Once he was high positive for lyme, and we did treat then).
    The folks at MSU, as well as my vet, do not recommend treatment at such a low titer, especially since his routine blood work and urinalysis were totally normal. They just suggest re-checking. Supposedly, it indicates that he was exposed to it, and one of 2 things has happened/is happening. Either it's just starting out, in which case we expect to see a four-fold or more increase in antibodies on the next test, or he was exposed to it and his body has successfully fought it off. Or it's a false positive.
    I asked WHY my dog keeps coming back with these low positives, and the answer was...."because you test for it".
    So....apparently tons of dogs are exposed to the TBDs and successfully fight them off, and the owners never even know about it.
    So here's the feedback I need.
    How many routinely test for TBDs? If you do, how often? If you get a low positive on anything, do you wait or do you treat?
    Would it be better to just skip the tests and treat only if you see symptoms? With the retrievers being more prone to lyme nephritis does it make sense to test often and treat early?
    I'm going to be worried for the next 2 weeks until we re-test him, and it makes me wonder if I should even be doing the tests.
    Opinions??
    Thanks in advance.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA SH MXP MJP XFP T2BP VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

Like you, I run a routine tick panel and I will continue to do so. There are TBDs that can have such vague and/or intermittent symptoms that you wouldn't know there was an issue until permanent damage was done. Regular testing can reveal disease when treatment can still be most effective. So yes, I test often and treat early.

Doxy is cheap run a cycle every 6-8 months!
    LUCK - WHEN PREPARATION MEETS REALITY!
    NAFC FC Cody Cut A Lean Grade "Grady" NAFC Paddle Creek's Pack Your Grip "Traveler"
    www.paddlecreekretrievers.com

For my dogs---I use Vectra 3D, get the vaccination for Lyme (contrary to some local opinions), check for ticks and remove them, then hope for the best. I also spray my car after a day afield and put my gear in a contractor bag and spray it and tie it off. I do all of this because I have found ticks in the car and house days after being in the field. I figure if you control the ticks you minimize the chance of having the disease.

We have a lot of ticks here on Long Island and maybe have a bit of a rep for the amount of ticks and to be truthful Barb, I don't know anyone who is doing more than me although I do understand your concern.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

I'm with Chad. We have huge numbers of ticks here. While I continue to use topicals to cut the numbers, I use doxy as a prophylactic twice a year. For me, it comes down to which is the lesser of evils, an antibiotic like doxy or losing one to Lyme nephritis or kidney failure brought on by TBD.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    I'm with Chad. We have huge numbers of ticks here. While I continue to use topicals to cut the numbers, I use doxy as a prophylactic twice a year. For me, it comes down to which is the lesser of evils, an antibiotic like doxy or losing one to Lyme nephritis or kidney failure brought on by TBD.
    Thanks. I will bounce this off my vet to get her opinion.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

Thanks for your thoughts. I worry a great deal about TBDs and wondered if I am overreacting.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA SH MXP MJP XFP T2BP VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Baker View Post
    Doxy is cheap run a cycle every 6-8 months!
    not anymore...

It runs about $3-400 now. I don't carry it because it has become so expensive.
    Kathleen

"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you're not, in fact, just surrounded by a**holes" -William Gibson

About 2 mo ago my dog was put on it. Vet gave me a script and the local grocery filled it and one refill for free.
    Tom Dorroh

Doxy is in short supply around here. And price has gone up. My vet had none, my local pharmacy was out , too. Finally got some farther afield.